Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get the best video quality with my consoles (and other problems)

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    It seems to me large amounts of white or certain other colors are a problem. On my CRT with your above linked converter I can get Sega Genesis screen rolling over component in specific parts of games, as if they output too strong of signal. Consistent results (like file select screen) make Sonic 3 a very useful test subject.
    Oh, that's what screen rolling is. I had no idea. So is it that the TV can't handle the signal?

And do SCART cables output audio, or do I have to get a specific cable with audio cables?

EDIT: You own the converter, so can you confirm if it uses European or Japanese SCART?
    Last edited by markusman64ds; 07-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Your problem looks different than mine. What I get can't be shown accurate in a still photo... This happens presumably 60 times per second.

Yes SCART cables output audio. The converter does not. Your best option is a breakout box, let you split away the sound to wherever you'd like.
    It is European SCART.

Actually though, my pic is NOT from a "Genesis" at all. I used Japanese Megadrive instead. With European SCART, on an American TV, it works!
    Last edited by theclaw; 07-04-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earlier someone was talking about modding the converter to have audio jacks. If I don't do that, is this an ok box?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/8237B-SCART-A...item2a1ef56e60

Can you try the Mega Drive or Genesis or whatever on an LCD, to see if we have a similar problem?
    Last edited by markusman64ds; 07-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Nope, can't test what you want. My LCD does not accept 240p from component.

That box looks OK. All it has to do is ignore RGB and sync, passing it through unchanged to the other end's socket.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Your insistence on not modding your systems is keeping in logic loops that lead you to consider some really stupid options such as an RF to composite converter.

If you keep asking the same question you'll keep getting the same answer. If something doesn't support RGB native you are forced to mod. At some point you're either going to have to accept defeat and not get the best out of a non-RGB capable system or mod them.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know Dreamcast has VGA support (480p progressive it looks like) but what's the best option for an SD CRT tv (a nice 36 inch Trinitron) with component input (480i)?

Would it make sense to use an RGB Scart cable with the common scart to component box to get an rgb 480i/240p signal? Or would scart rgb be stuck on progressive (not compatible with my tv)?
    Am I better off just using S-Video?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

You can do that. Dreamcast and Xbox 360 are two of the few consoles to widely support both SCART and VGA.

(PS2's not-often-seen VGA cable wasn't a general release. Sold only in the Linux kit, with limited game compatibility)
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to keep my systems original. If you mod them they aren't as original even if they are more functional. But hey! I hooked the RF systems up to a VCR that outputs composite, and now the picture looks fine on my 50". It's back in my gaming setup now. Component on Wii works fine with it too. I can't see very much lag on this TV, so maybe I won't get an HD CRT after all. I just hope it will work with the SCART to component converter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

As long as you take it intelligently. The idea is to first ensure they'll have actual purpose.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario World on Virtual Console works fine with component, so I think the converter will work. This is a good way to check right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    I like to keep my systems original. If you mod them they aren't as original even if they are more functional. But hey! I hooked the RF systems up to a VCR that outputs composite, and now the picture looks fine on my 50". It's back in my gaming setup now. Component on Wii works fine with it too. I can't see very much lag on this TV, so maybe I won't get an HD CRT after all. I just hope it will work with the SCART to component converter.
    I agree to an extent. When I do my mods I try to use existing ports (the N64 RGB mod does nothing to the casing and is 100% internal simply restoring what Nintendo was going to do) or add ports in a way that looks factory (Genesis S-Video jack goes where RF was or is just to the side like it was done with the X'EYE).

Obviously this can be more difficult with other consoles such as the 2600.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing Virtual Console games on component video is a good way to check if 240p will work on your TV right?

Also, I heard you aren't supposed to leave older game consoles plugged in when they aren't being used. What if they were plugged into a power strip that was turned off but still plugged in? Would that effect them in anyway? It would mean I wouldn't have to go behind my TV to plug in each system I wanna use. Is there a power strip that has an on/off switch for each outlet?

It has also been said that converting video signals will degrade the quality. What about with an AV switchbox?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it helps, here are the specs of my TV:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...90B3DXZA-specs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

When it all boils down there's really one prime rule for flat panel TVs. If feeding their inputs poor video that's the result to expect.

Remember obviously you'll be scaling to a very large size. Any flaws who result from composite or RF video could be quite noticeable.
    Last edited by theclaw; 07-09-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    When it all boils down there's really one prime rule for flat panel TVs. If feeding their inputs poor video that's the result to expect.

Remember obviously you'll be scaling to a very large size. Any flaws who result from composite or RF video could be quite noticeable.
    Wouldn't the flaws already be there if you were using a CRT? Even if they are more noticeable on an HDTV, that's how they always were.

Plasma TVs are kind of like CRTs. The picture isn't as sharp as LCDs and can burn-in, but they are cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Technically perhaps. Well just take that as advice or a warning. You'll learn which from experience.

Knowing where staying original can have good results, vs where it's a sacrifice to save money, will tell how this topic's story ends. Like using composite on consoles you're aware are capable of better without any mods would be the latter.
    Lum fan.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You also have to remember that most all classic consoles were designed for CRTs therefore flaws in the composite connection even in the RF connection are masked over since CRTs are low resolution monitors. When upgrading to the best possible signal, most of the flaws disappear or are less apparent since most of the picture is crystal clear.

When it comes to modding consoles to achieve a better picture, here's something to think about. Lets take the Colecovision for instance, something that was made in 1982 way before S-Video was being implemented and a few decades before component was even being thought of. But the video chip inside it is able to output component (YUV). So in tern if the technology at the time allowed for component video, we would had component video on the Colecovision as a standard factory option. By modifying it to achieve this, intern your not actually modifying it, your actually just adding something that was already there, just not used at the time, so it is original, just not implemented because of the technology standard at the time.

In my opinion if a console is able to achieve a higher video or audio signal just by tapping into what's already on the circuit board then it's less than a modification, it's an upgrade that would have been there from the factory if technology at the time allowed for it. The only console that I can think of that actually has to be "modified" for a better video signal is the NES/Famicom and that requires replacing a processor, that's a modification.

Remember if the companies didn't want you to have a better picture then, even in the future, then they would have built a video processor that outputs nothing but RF.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I suppose. The baseline of standard console' ideal video is what its graphics chip generates. Can't get better than raw form without some kind of scaling/filtering magic or hardware upgrades. Though sometimes dithering effects are bad enough to make some blur a popularly accepted trade-off.

Unusual systems like Virtual Boy are special cases, those have effects few TVs if any will show perfect.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thought of a 30 year old console outputing component is amusing. Still, even a video mod where you just add wires and connectors would be changing the system from it's original design. And if I mod one system for the best video then I will want to mod them all, even the rarer ones. I don't really think anyone expected the ColecoVision to be used with component. If they did then they would have included the ports on the back. Using the best unmodded video shows how the consoles would have looked like back in the day, if they had HDTV. Someday HDMI on PS3 will look terrible compared to the new stuff, but I will still use it because it is how it was meant to be played.

Sometime next-gen or the one after that they are coming out with 4320p. Imagine how PS3 will look on that! I'm just hoping that by then TVs will have CRT emulators.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    The thought of a 30 year old console outputing component is amusing. Still, even a video mod where you just add wires and connectors would be changing the system from it's original design. And if I mod one system for the best video then I will want to mod them all, even the rarer ones. I don't really think anyone expected the ColecoVision to be used with component. If they did then they would have included the ports on the back. Using the best unmodded video shows how the consoles would have looked like back in the day, if they had HDTV. Someday HDMI on PS3 will look terrible compared to the new stuff, but I will still use it because it is how it was meant to be played.

Sometime next-gen or the one after that they are coming out with 4320p. Imagine how PS3 will look on that! I'm just hoping that by then TVs will have CRT emulators.
    That leads to a question of hardware designer vs game developer. Who's to say who's really correct?

In my opinion I view it from the other side. If graphics artists wanted their work to resemble composite video, they would have drawn and envisioned such.
    Lum fan.