Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get the best video quality with my consoles (and other problems)

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    That particular convertor only converts SCART to RCA jacks or vise versa. It does nothing for the video signal what so ever rather all it does is map the SCART pins to the correct jacks on the RCA side.

The SCART to Component converter actually has a video processor in it that takes only the RGB signal, not the luma chroma signals required for S-Video and/or composite and converts them to YUV component.

Also if your thinking about doing SCART to component on these consoles, you need a SCART switch with Audio out since most SCART to component converters don't output an audio signals.

However, SCART to HDMI converters do since the signal is sent down one digital cable.
    My TV has no S-video input so I was going to run it through the SCART converter. I was also planning to buy the audio switch.

I was just looking at SCART to HDMI converters on eBay. There is one here for about the same price as the other one in Shenzhen, USA:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scart-HDMI-Co...item19c602fea5

Of course, there is no Shenzhen, USA, so I'm gonna go with the SCART to component converter just to be safe. It will work better with my current setup.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    My TV has no S-video input so I was going to run it through the SCART converter. I was also planning to buy the audio switch.

I was just looking at SCART to HDMI converters on eBay. There is one here for about the same price as the other one in Shenzhen, USA:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scart-HDMI-Co...item19c602fea5

Of course, there is no Shenzhen, USA, so I'm gonna go with the SCART to component converter just to be safe. It will work better with my current setup.
    So your TV can accept low res component signals and your getting an audio switch that's good.

However, the SCART to component converter again only accepts the 4 signals. Red, Green, Blue & Composite Sync which is Luma. S-Video is Luma & Chroma, if your getting the CSY-2100 SCART to component converter, it only routes the composite sync luma signal not the chroma signal meaning if you try S-Video, you may get a black and white image or no image at all.

Again it's designed for RGB not S-Video.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So your TV can accept low res component signals and your getting an audio switch that's good.

However, the SCART to component converter again only accepts the 4 signals. Red, Green, Blue & Composite Sync which is Luma. S-Video is Luma & Chroma, if your getting the CSY-2100 SCART to component converter, it only routes the composite sync luma signal not the chroma signal meaning if you try S-Video, you may get a black and white image or no image at all.

I'm not sure if my TV can use low res on component, but over the next few days I'm gonna buy some PS3 component cables for PS2. Playing PS1 games on PS2 is a good way to check. Not sure what to do about S-Video now. If low res doesn't work I might try to get an older TV, and there is a chance it will have S-Video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure if my TV can use low res on component, but over the next few days I'm gonna buy some PS3 component cables for PS2. Playing PS1 games on PS2 is a good way to check. Not sure what to do about S-Video now. If low res doesn't work I might try to get an older TV, and there is a chance it will have S-Video.
    Hmm that's interesting. If it can't then SCART to HDMI would be your second best choice being that it's easier for newer TV's being the audio video signal is in one cable and it upconverts it to a resolution the TV can display.

I know you wanna stick with S-Video since it is an easy option for a few consoles, trust me on a CRT S-Video is king over composite. On an HDTV it's hit and miss when it comes to classic consoles.

Component on a CRT and on an HDTV is even better, only problem is most classic video game consoles output such a low resolution (240p) that new TVs can't do a damn thing with.

Since most classic consoles are RGB which is the best possible analog signal, it's the best one to convert it to either component or HDMI. Remember RGB is 3 pure unencoded signals directly from the video processor, where's S-Video and Composite come from an encoder chip. The most you process a video signal the poorer the quality becomes.

What's really cool about RGB is the fact you start noticing things you've never seen before because the picture is so sharp. Like the small red, green and blue lights in the background on Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2. Shows the developers actually took the time to design a background that's a work of art.

Too bad the United States isn't like France where they required all video game consoles to have an RGB output. Also too bad we aren't like Europe and have a nice SCART RGB input, it would make it much easier without all these converters, encoders, wires, scanline generators etc.

Pretty much what it boils down to is, do you want the best signal possible out of these classic consoles? If so, it is an investment that will cost some money, but to most people it's well worth it to experience their favorite games with the absolute best picture on their modern TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm that's interesting. If it can't then SCART to HDMI would be your second best choice being that it's easier for newer TV's being the audio video signal is in one cable and it upconverts it to a resolution the TV can display.

I know you wanna stick with S-Video since it is an easy option for a few consoles, trust me on a CRT S-Video is king over composite. On an HDTV it's hit and miss when it comes to classic consoles.

Component on a CRT and on an HDTV is even better, only problem is most classic video game consoles output such a low resolution (240p) that new TVs can't do a damn thing with.

Since most classic consoles are RGB which is the best possible analog signal, it's the best one to convert it to either component or HDMI. Remember RGB is 3 pure unencoded signals directly from the video processor, where's S-Video and Composite come from an encoder chip. The most you process a video signal the poorer the quality becomes.

What's really cool about RGB is the fact you start noticing things you've never seen before because the picture is so sharp. Like the small red, green and blue lights in the background on Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2. Shows the developers actually took the time to design a background that's a work of art.

Too bad the United States isn't like France where they required all video game consoles to have an RGB output. Also too bad we aren't like Europe and have a nice SCART RGB input, it would make it much easier without all these converters, encoders, wires, scanline generators etc.

Pretty much what it boils down to is, do you want the best signal possible out of these classic consoles? If so, it is an investment that will cost some money, but to most people it's well worth it to experience their favorite games with the absolute best picture on their modern TV.
    I'll probably get the SCART to HDMI. One question, do you have one of these and are able to test S-Video signals on it? Are they reliable? It's cheaper than the other converters, but thats probably because its made in Shenzhen USA aka China. I'm gonna buy some SCART cables first. I'm selling my complete copy of Fritz Chess on DS soon, and hoping to get $50 to pay for them. Also, considering that some of the best video quality is found in France, I should let people know I have French ancestors

Plenty of engrish on the eBay page, but the seller has great feedback. Would the fact that it says it's in the US but is actually in China cause any shipping problems?
    Last edited by markusman64ds; 08-01-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll probably get the SCART to HDMI. One question, do you have one of these and are able to test S-Video signals on it? Are they reliable? It's cheaper than the other converters, but thats probably because its made in Shenzhen USA aka China. I'm gonna buy some SCART cables first. I'm selling my complete copy of Fritz Chess on DS soon, and hoping to get $50 to pay for them. Also, considering that some of the best video quality is found in France, I should let people know I have French ancestors

Plenty of engrish on the eBay page, but the seller has great feedback. Would the fact that it says it's in the US but is actually in China cause any shipping problems?
    The two convertors I bought from China haven't crapped out on me yet. One is a SCART To YUV, and the other is SCART to HDMI. I'm actually saving up for a XRGB Framemeister since they are the best HDMI scalers out there, of course, hard to do with no job

I haven't tested composite or S-Video at all on it since I only have RGB SCART cables, it says it accepts composite but that may for a sync signal only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The two convertors I bought from China haven't crapped out on me yet. One is a SCART To YUV, and the other is SCART to HDMI. I'm actually saving up for a XRGB Framemeister since they are the best HDMI scalers out there, of course, hard to do with no job

I haven't tested composite or S-Video at all on it since I only have RGB SCART cables, it says it accepts composite but that may for a sync signal only.
    If you would be willing to buy that composite/S-video to SCART I linked to earlier for testing, I would be willing to donate the $0 I currently have to you. I don't have a job either but thats because I'm still in school. I understand your situation somewhat.

Does the SCART to HDMI lag very much? Does it use European SCART? Finally, are you satisfied with the results?
    Last edited by markusman64ds; 08-02-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is another converter. This one has EVERYTHING.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Adapter-Conve...item519ef37392

But it's an expensive piece of hardware. If I get this I might not be able to get a Wii U for Christmas. SCART to HDMI seems to be the way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting the SCART to component again now. It's cheaper and it's closer to here. Wouldn't the converter take the chroma signal and split it into the red and blue signals? It is a CVS287 SCART to component converter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting the SCART to component again now. It's cheaper and it's closer to here. Wouldn't the converter take the chroma signal and split it into the red and blue signals? It is a CVS287 SCART to component converter.
    Nope it only takes Red, Green, Blue & Sync. I've taken the thing apart, it only had leads for those 4 signals and nothing more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope it only takes Red, Green, Blue & Sync. I've taken the thing apart, it only had leads for those 4 signals and nothing more.
    Is it possible to mod it to use S-Video?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible to mod it to use S-Video?
    That wouldn't yield really good results. Think of it this way, when you plug RF into a VCR and output composite, does the image quality get any better? No because RF is modulated and poor quality to begin with.

When it comes to video signals, especially analog, you don't wanna go from a lesser quality analog signal to a better analog quality signal.

Best thing to do with S-Video, if you wanna use it, is get a professional scalier, like the XRGB or something like the DVDO EDGE and let it do the processing since it has actual video processors to keep the image as clear as it can be.

That particular converter only has resistors, capacitors and a few little chips that convert an RGB signal into a YUV component signal, which is what it's designed for, not S-Video.

To show in picture terms what this convertor is designed for, it takes the 3 signals on the left and produces the 3 signals on the right. The convertor CANNOT take the two (PbPr) signals on the right, which is chroma in S-Video, and seperate them out to YUV, it would degrade the video quality since in S-Video the PbPr signals are already combined by an internal video encoder.

And to make your head spin more, RGB to YUV is a arithmetic formula, meaning complicated math is enolved to convert an RGB signal into a YUV signal using the components in this converter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will probably get the SCART to HDMI then. To repeat my earlier questions:

Does the SCART to HDMI lag very much? Does it use European SCART? Finally, are you satisfied with the results?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will probably get the SCART to HDMI then. To repeat my earlier questions:

Lag, haven't noticed any. Yes it's designed for European SCART and for a cheap HDMI converter, for most gamers, yea it will give satisfactory results on a modern TV since it's taking the best analog signal and converting it to a modern digital standard.

To me personally, I'm an audiovideophile, meaning I demand the best out of all my connections. SCART to HDMI is 2nd best to me, being that I like keep analog signals, analog. But to achieve the best, I have to spend alot more money, make more complicated obsolete connections and it becomes a huge mess.

Would I recommend it thou, of course, it's simple, its cheaper and it yields very good results, so yes I'm fine with it on my HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lag, haven't noticed any. Yes it's designed for European SCART and for a cheap HDMI converter, for most gamers, yea it will give satisfactory results on a modern TV since it's taking the best analog signal and converting it to a modern digital standard.

To me personally, I'm an audiovideophile, meaning I demand the best out of all my connections. SCART to HDMI is 2nd best to me, being that I like keep analog signals, analog. But to achieve the best, I have to spend alot more money, make more complicated obsolete connections and it becomes a huge mess.

Would I recommend it thou, of course, it's simple, its cheaper and it yields very good results, so yes I'm fine with it on my HDTV.
    Genesis in 1080p man, with freakin STEREO.

Lol. So this is definately the converter I will get. Works great and is better than spending $500 on an XRGB-3. Good that it's cheap because I have 27 cents and a plastic nickel. Recycling will bring in some cash though.

If S-video doesn't work with that converter though, I think this is a good alternative.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VGA-SVGA-S-VI...item35bc3ece63

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Genesis in 1080p man, with freakin STEREO.

Lol. So this is definately the converter I will get. Works great and is better than spending $500 on an XRGB-3. Good that it's cheap because I have 27 cents and a plastic nickel. Recycling will bring in some cash though.

If S-video doesn't work with that converter though, I think this is a good alternative.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VGA-SVGA-S-VI...item35bc3ece63
    How often is that useful? The description says it lets s-video be output from a VGA jack on some computers.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    How often is that useful? The description says it lets s-video be output from a VGA jack on some computers.
    I guess I read it backwards. I meant to show an S-Video to VGA adapter, as my TV has a VGA input.

The HDMI converter has two settings, 720p and 1080p. My TV can do up to 1080i, so does that mean I can only use 720p? No big deal, considering most of these systems are 240p, but still.
    Last edited by markusman64ds; 08-04-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I wanted to I could buy this, so I could have all systems on HDMI.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Component-vid...item48466d92f2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

If I wanted to I could buy this, so I could have all systems on HDMI.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Component-vid...item48466d92f2
    Yeah just accepts component input only. For RGB systems you'd pair it with a component encoder.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Yeah just accepts component input only. For RGB systems you'd pair it with a component encoder.
    No, I would use this along with the SCART to HDMI. This one accepts component and VGA.