Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to nes libary (Seeking Guidance)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New to nes libary (Seeking Guidance)

Alright so it started somehow, with me watching avgn... then other nes reviewers. I don't know how but this strange effect has come on to me, and i love playing 2d rpgs, but never grew up in the 90's. Well i was born in 1994...makes me 18, but i never grew to know any nes games.

What i am asking.

I need like, a list of 10-15-20 games tops, that are at the least GOOD, hopefully addictive. and most important don't go over the 10 dollar limit, because i am tight on money, and what to get the most for less. I don't really know were to start to be honest. Games i already collected, picked up Zelda II, Dragon warrior, monster party, and thats all i have. But so far this is a strange hobby to just pick up. I have both snes and nes, idk if i got ripped or was a good deal, bought my nes for 59.99 on nintendo repair shop, came in great shape.

things to consider:
    I like Rpgs
    Sidescrollers are pretty cool

Your helps appreciated, btw i have really been eyeballing ultima games for the nes, but so far dragon warrior 1 is pretty repitive, it gets old quick, so idk how similiar they are in getting old quick.

Insert Coin (Level 0) JeremiahJT's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JeremiahJT

My first advice as an RPG fan is to get all 4 of the Dragon Warrior games for the NES. Probably my favorite NES series of any genre. I'll also go ahead and say the original NES Final Fantasy. I like the Dragon Warrior games better, but Final Fantasy is still an excellent game. Unfortunately some of the games can get expensive, but if you stay with cart only you should eventually be able to find all of them but maybe Dragon Warrior IV for not too much money. I love the first Dragon Warrior, but I can see how you might think it's repetitive, the later ones get more varied so they should hold your interest better.
    Last edited by JeremiahJT; 06-17-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Besides the fact that i am used to playing games with nice graphics, when i played dragon warrior 1... idk it just felt like there was not much customization, like i manged to get to level 17, but i keeped going into a cave and being raped by a dragon. And i had no idea were to go either. Plus i looked on amazon, dragon warrior Iv is like 40-50 dollars used lol damn, i really want cheaper rpgs, i know its not easy to find good cheap nes games, but it would be prefered. I tried playing emulators, but...it just did not feel right, idk how to describe it, its like if its not legit it feels like a bore. So is the newer dragon warriors improved? because i felt as if, with limited swords etc.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Try Legend of the Ghost Lion. It doesn't seem very popular so it might not go for much, but its a unique little RPG with a great soundtrack. It's one of my favorites, right behind the NES version of Might and Magic (which I'd recommend, but you said you don't like getting lost).

I've also heard Destiny of an Emperor is good, but I can't vouch for it personally.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crystalis is one RPG I would highly recommend. All of the mega mans are amazing, especially Mega Man 2 which can usually be had for $10-$15.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For RPGs, try Battle of Olympus if you like Zelda II.

For sidescrollers, holy wow dude there are tons. I'll give you three classics and three not so much talked about:

Classic:

Super Mario Bros 2 (US version)
    Castlevania series
    Ninja Gaiden series

Hidden Gem:

Little Nemo: Dream Master
    Shatterhand or Kabuki Quantum Fighter
    Blaster Master

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Another really good one if you liked Zelda II is Faxanadu. That one can be had for just a few bucks. And if you ever get Final Fantasy, make sure you remember to turn the game speed up to 8 instead of leaving it at the very slow default setting.

In Dragon Warrior, if that green dragon is beating you at level 17 I can only see two possible problems - you need to use more healing spells in battle or you need to buy better weapons and armor from the cities that are further away from the beginning of the game.

My most recently completed SNES RPG was Soul Blazer. I had a lot of fun with that game.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    My most recently completed SNES RPG was Soul Blazer. I had a lot of fun with that game.
    That game was really fun. I kept laughing at all the misspelled words and terrible grammar, though. I think I ended up deleting the screenshots showing them, though. If you liked it, you should move on to Illusion of Gaia next, and then Terranigma, although it was never released in America.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    That game was really fun. I kept laughing at all the misspelled words and terrible grammar, though. I think I ended up deleting the screenshots showing them, though. If you liked it, you should move on to Illusion of Gaia next, and then Terranigma, although it was never released in America.
    I played quite a bit of Illusion of Gaia, but it is turning out to be quite a bit more annoying although still fun. It's a bit easier to get lost as the puzzles are a bit less obvious. I haven't played much of anything since I've moved though.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stay away from the AD&D games.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thenesdump.com for classy repro carts of games youve never heard of before. Chronicle of the Radia War and Silva Saga kick major ass!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan View Post
    Stay away from the AD&D games.
    Hey now! Dragons of Flame is frickin' awesome! but of course it was only released on Famicom. You can still get a translated repro though!

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Hidden Gem:

Little Nemo: Dream Master

Blaster Master
    I second both of these, though I never realized they were hidden gems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoy The Magic of Scheherazade and StarTropics, and they sound up your alley. Both of them should be incredibly cheap, $2-3 if you find them locally (a few bucks more to ship from Amazon but I think it would still be worth it if you have no local game shops). StarTropics is action RPG while Scheherazade has elements of both turn-based and action (some enemies you fight in a top-down screen and others go to a battle screen). I also second Crystalis.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, so i ordered faxanadu, crystalis, castlevania Iv for snes because i heard it was the best, legend of zelda 1, and final fantasy II for snes. Was going to get more, but i can't decide on anymore. Really thinkin about dragon warrior II, but i kind of want some action games, i picked up contra alien wars at flea market, and holy hot fuck is it hard.

Reply about dragon warrior.

I grinded, and got a half plate, also i have a broad sword, with iron shield. IT is STILL TO hard to kill the dragon, it is the only boss i ran into, i am now level 18, and i keep getting my ass kicked WTF it almost 2 shots me.

Question: I can get symponthy of the night castlevania, on psn, but does it offer good challenge, because i want a challenging game.
    Last edited by Illuvatar; 06-17-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For Dragon Warrior, without giving you any spoilers, try exploring a little more of the land, talk to everyone you can, and by level 17 you have a spell called healmore which could help you immensely against the dragon (it's a Green Dragon, right?). Sometimes it helps to go back to places you've been before.

I'd say DW3 is my favourite of the bunch, more because you have so many more options for a 4 character party, choice of weapons, and exploration routes.

I was going to mention StarTropics as a game to check out. Surprised I haven't seen Super Mario Bros 3 mentioned here yet. That is a must-have for any NES owner.

But you'll have plenty to play with the titles already mentioned in this thread.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    I second both of these, though I never realized they were hidden gems.
    Yeah, not truly hidden, but not usually talked about from what I've seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Illuvatar View Post
    Question: I can get symponthy of the night castlevania, on psn, but does it offer good challenge, because i want a challenging game.
    SOTN is one of those games that's hard if you're new to it and don't know what you're doing. Once you've got a grasp on it though, its not much of a challenge.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i beat the first castlevania.

I have a BAD ISSUE, i need challenging RPGS, omg i have searched high and low for a difficult final fantasy for nes and snes, all i get is that Iv and II for snes, and even the first one is easy to moderate. I was going to get ff orgins on psn, but i keep hearing its easy. I read that secret of mana was easy on plenty of websites. I was really wanting to get into chrono trigger, but i read plenty reviews saying it is a walk in the park.

I just can't play a game knowing it is easy, it feels like what is the point?
    So please give me HARD rpgs, i beg you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well, you seemed to have problems with that dragon in Dragon Warrior I...

And if that's the case, I would definitely recommend trying out Might and Magic. If anyone tells you that game is a walk in the park, they're lying. There's also a decent NES port of Wizardry and Wizardry II, and Ultima: Exodus (you might give the other Ultima games a shot too, but personally I thought Exodus was the only one that got better on the NES).