Earlier this week, I battled an 8-year-old relative in a game of Pokemon Black using our Nintendo DS systems. To say the least, he's a big fan of Pokemon; he owns a binder full of trading cards and a room adorned with posters. He's nearly completed the Platinum, HeartGold and Black iterations of the treasured series.

You can imagine the excitement and wonder in his eyes when I explained how far back the Pokemon series spans. I even found myself falling into a nostalgic lull while talking about my time with Pokemon Red, and how "there's nothing like the original 151." After informing him that Pokemon Black and White 2 are due next in the series, his remark was, "So... did they pretty much run out of ideas?"

While he's a smart kid, it's easy to forget how perceptive all young players can be. Even though he loves the series in the same way I did years ago (he draws his own Pokemon creations), he noticed that each subsequent game feels like a lot like the last one. He also bashed "ace trainers" in the games, and wondered "how they can even think their bad Pokemon will win." I hadn't even wondered that myself.

While I work on devising a way to actually beat him in a game of Pokemon, I invite you to catch all of last week's webcomics, and then vote for your favorite after the break.

Just Married (Brawl in the Family)
Asteroids (Blow the Cartridge)
Outsider (Legacy Control)
Ellen Page (Digital Pimp Online)
Catching a Pokemom (Dorkly)Continue reading Weekly Webcomic Wrapup is catching 'em all over again
Weekly Webcomic Wrapup is catching 'em all over again originally appeared on Joystiq on Sat, 16 Jun 2012 23:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments