Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has a commercially released Video Game ever sold 0 copies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has a commercially released Video Game ever sold 0 copies?

This occurred to me earlier, has a commercially physically released video game ever sold 0 copies? (or say, under 100 copies). There are several instances of it happening for movies in cinema releases, where they have sold under 100 tickets in their opening weekend so I figured it must have happened at some point for a video game.

The only problem I can think of is that really low sales tend not to be released.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    This occurred to me earlier, has a commercially physically released video game ever sold 0 copies? (or say, under 100 copies). There are several instances of it happening for movies in cinema releases, where they have sold under 100 tickets in their opening weekend so I figured it must have happened at some point for a video game.

The only problem I can think of is that really low sales tend not to be released.
    Unless it never was put on sale at all, I am pretty certain that a video game has never sold zero copies. I doubt any video game has ever sold under a hundred either if it was a regular commercial release. At some point, the publisher or distributor will credit the retailer and the price will drop to mere pennies if needed to clear them out and someone will buy them.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Nope. Closest thing to that are games like Stadium Events which the day it was released was recalled. So some were sold but that's what makes it so rare.
    Only 200 or so were sold

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I would say no, you know at least one developer's mom would buy one out of pity.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CapnCrunch53's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems like it would be unlikely with physically released, retail games. The whole point of a publisher is to take care of the manufacturing and marketing of a game, so I'd imagine they'd have to be doing their job really poorly to garner no sales. Perhaps for self-released titles this would be more plausible. Of course it's also possible that if a game sold so poorly, we wouldn't ever hear of that game.

I think a medium that is much more likely to have such failure stories would be shareware and independently-released titles. Stuff where you pay to download the full game, or have to order a copy through a website or catalog. Seems like there must be at least a few of those that never saw a sale.
    My Systems
    Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GBC, GBA, GBA-SP, GBP, DS Lite, 3DS
    Sony: PS1, PS2
    Microsoft: Softmodded Xbox, Xbox 360
    Sega: Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Dreamcast, GameGear
    Other: Atari Super Pong, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Odyssey 2, Turbografx-16, NeoGeo Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Stadium Events which the day it was released was recalled
    Wait, what? All the sources I've found say it was test marketed in limited areas in the USA in 1987, and that Nintendo purchased the rights to the game in 1988.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's the Genesis version of Tetris that would be pretty close. Only something like 10 copies of it exist, though you could say it never got a commercial release since they cancelled it right before it hit stores. Although some copies were pressed and all had to be destroyed (because of impending Nintendo lawsuit). It is believed that only about 10 survived, which is why you see auctions for it that are around half a million dollars.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Birthday Mania (Personal Games Company). Only 1 known to exist so far.

Same with Red Sea Crossing (Inspirational Video Concepts)

Gamma Attck (Gammation) two known to exist

Extra Terrestrials (Skill Screen Games) so far 3 orginals have been found?

Air Raid (maybe 10 exist?)
    SongMate (maybe 5 exist?)
    PictureMate (maybe 10 exist?)

All VCS, btw.
    Last edited by tom; 06-20-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'm a bit curious how badly the scarce US boxed PC version of Sonic Adventure DX sold. My wild guess is a few thousand. But without solid numbers...

Hammerin' Harry for PAL Game Boy, I don't think I want to know. Try to find copies for sale at all most of the time.
    Lum fan.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Birthday Mania (Personal Games Company). Only 1 known to exist so far.

Same with Red Sea Crossing (Inspirational Video Concepts)

Gamma Attck (Gammation) two known to exist

Extra Terrestrials (Skill Screen Games) so far 3 orginals have been found?

Air Raid (maybe 10 exist?)
    SongMate (maybe 5 exist?)
    PictureMate (maybe 10 exist?)

All VCS, btw.
    For the most part though, I wouldn't consider those games to be "commercially" released. They may have been intended for release or even ready for release, but they never had any real commercial distribution.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    For the most part though, I wouldn't consider those games to be "commercially" released. They may have been intended for release or even ready for release, but they never had any real commercial distribution.
    Yeah, this all depends on two things, I think:

1) What is "commercially released"?

-and-

2) What are you considering?

Technically, a game sells when it reaches the store because the store buys it. Because stores have to have the game before it can be commercially released, it is impossible from that standpoint to release a game commercially without selling it.

Having said that, if you consider games that are things like apps, or shareware back in the day, or whatever, I'm absolutely positive that some of those sold no copies because of poor promotion, bad pricing models, or whatever. Whether this would be commercially released or not is a big question though. Most games in ridiculously small numbers may have been test marketed, but never actually commercially available.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Hammerin' Harry for PAL Game Boy, I don't think I want to know. Try to find copies for sale at all most of the time.
    I saw a cart or year or two ago while looking for the SFC game.
    It was pretty cheap, but it was in pretty ugly shape. Not sure if I want to know what its previous owner(s) had done with it. :P

As to "commercially released", I'd say if it actually made it to a store.
    Otherwise we could consider NBA Live 11 (still only 3 production copies known to exist?). Wasn't it recalled while it was still in transit to stores?
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 06-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I saw a cart or year or two ago while looking for the SFC game.
    It was pretty cheap, but it was in pretty ugly shape. Not sure if I want to know what its previous owner(s) had done with it. :P
    Are you sure you didn't just see Japan's GB game? English copies look totally different and are an extreme rarity to boot.
    Lum fan.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Definitely an EU cart, it had the same art as the PAL NES version.
    Really, that rare that I should've bought it even in shitty condition (like $20 if I remember)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

We don't know. Those EU copies appear in any condition or price, so infrequently it's impossible to quantify. There aren't enough recorded sales events of the game to even be sure if its print run was limited.

Valid use of "rare" as a descriptor is generally considered to mean a game is well known to a point where that label is based on consensus.
    Lum fan.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

Would Cheetahmen II fit? It was commercially produced but never quite made it out the door.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    At some point, the publisher or distributor will credit the retailer and the price will drop to mere pennies if needed to clear them out and someone will buy them.
    Would it still count if it did so bad that the store decided to dump their supply at Goodwill?
    I know awhile ago I saw a ton of sealed Guitar Hero DS games at Goodwill, and I just assumed they came from the Best Buy down the street. (I hear that stores can claim tax deduction for donating to a charity store such as Goodwill, so it probably becomes a better option for them if sales look particularly bad.)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

There's Uncle Henry's Playhouse for the PC, supposedly it only sold 27 copies in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Henry's_Playhouse

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Would it still count if it did so bad that the store decided to dump their supply at Goodwill?
    I know awhile ago I saw a ton of sealed Guitar Hero DS games at Goodwill, and I just assumed they came from the Best Buy down the street. (I hear that stores can claim tax deduction for donating to a charity store such as Goodwill, so it probably becomes a better option for them if sales look particularly bad.)
    Those games were sold to Target. They paid for them, they count as sales. Target just donated them and they were written off of their books as a donation.

Any games that make it to retail are sold games. The stores have bought them either directly from the publisher, or from a distributor. In most cases that is what ends up getting counted for sales numbers as stores tend to not release actual sell through counts.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a better question is, what games that were legitimately produced and sold at retail (and not recalled or anything like that) sold the absolute least number of copies? A while back I saw purported complete US sales figures for Dreamcast games, and the lowest selling game was around 5,000 copies. On PSX the lowest seller was just south of 2,000. I think that's about as low as it gets for a console, not counting variants, recalls, etc. Even if it's obviously crap, someone will buy it, especially if it gets bargain binned. And they're not going to only produce 150 copies unless it's some kind of LE. PC is a different beast, and early home computers even moreso (cartridge excepted). What's the standard minimum order for getting discs pressed? How about to manufacture cassettes? Only a small handful of copies of Ultima: Escape from Mt. Drash (Vic-20 cassette) are known to exist. The game wasn't recalled or not sold to stores, it was just a very low-key, under-the-radar release. Now it's extremely rare and the last sale was like $1700. But if this game didn't have the Ultima name on it, nobody would ever notice how rare it is and it would've just faded into obscurity. Makes me wonder how many 80s computer games are out there that literally almost no one's ever heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.