Thread: Intellivision's DK Arcade on sale June 23,24 for 30.00!

Insert Coin (Level 0) revolutionika's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Intellivision's DK Arcade on sale June 23,24 for 30.00!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I'm curious as to who buys things like this. Is this actually a game that people are buying to play, because it looks like it's fun? Even if I wanted to play Donkey Kong, there are so many other (better) ways to play it today.

I have an Intellivision, and it's the system for which I collect the most. But the games I collect were out when I was young. Either I had them, or I wanted them and couldn't have them.

I just don't understand the market for currently produced games for classic systems. Is it one of those "collecting for the purpose of collecting" things? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I'm curious as to who buys things like this. Is this actually a game that people are buying to play, because it looks like it's fun? Even if I wanted to play Donkey Kong, there are so many other (better) ways to play it today.

I have an Intellivision, and it's the system for which I collect the most. But the games I collect were out when I was young. Either I had them, or I wanted them and couldn't have them.

I just don't understand the market for currently produced games for classic systems. Is it one of those "collecting for the purpose of collecting" things? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    I only buy new games for classic systems that I want to play. It's not just about collecting. I never buy a homebrew for the sole purpose of collecting. I like the feel of older systems, and it's incredibly cool to keep those systems alive.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is a valid question. If you try this game, you would see how great it is. If you play the Intellivision (not collect) this game is for you.

I've never stopped playing the system. Sure, there are better systems, but I still like the feel of the Intellivision. With 3 million unitis sold, I am sure that there are at least a few thousand people who still play their Intellivision and would buy a new quality game.

And, despite the Intellivision not having the absolute best graphics, this game is by far the BEST arcade experence you can have with a system of its era. Better than Colecovision, and better than NES, Atari 7800, Atari 5200.......don't believe me? Check out some of the reviews.

This game features all 4 screens. Digitized sounds (the famous growl and hidden 'HELP' from the arcade machine)....uses music not used in the arcade game....all the tricks of the arcade game.....control the barrels (just like in King of Kong)....intermissions....excellent control.....Japanese mode (play all 4 screens back to back)

It features a 30 frame per second mode (enabled with a code) to allow use with some HD TVs that have display issues with the game's normal 60 frames per second smooth moving object multiplexing.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Elektronite; 06-20-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who buys stuff like this? I do. And so do alot of other people do too. Most of the previous 'homebrew INTV releases have sold into the hundreds. Not bad for a 30 year old system that only had about 3 million systems sold. Most 2600 homebrew releases dont sell this much im sure. Im sure there are alot of collectors as well as people who just want a nice playing game too. This game has great gameplay and fixes everything wrong with the Coleco version from the 80's. Believe it or not, people still play classic systems..not JUST collect.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sale on now!

Get your copy of D1K Arcade (Classic DK with 4 screens, digitized sounds, and Japanese/North American Mode) for $30 shipped to your door!

Cart and instructions only.

www.elektronite.com

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a few Intellivision games, and a lot of retro consoles and games; as i'm a modder by hobby.

Donkey Kong in the pics looks rather like the Activision (?) version at the time which was hardly great; NES version and Colecovision version are regarded as being close to the arcade original versions, in fact, one of the reasons the NES was made in the first place was for Donkey Kong.

There are some great Intellivision titles but a lot of bad ones, really bad ones.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I promise you, this blows away the NES version, the Colecovision version, and the Atari 7800 version.

You can control the barrels, just like in King of Kong.

It has all the tricks of arcade DK....stand beside DK on the second screen, and jump and get 100 points...enemy action is like the arcade....the digitized sound, sounds like the arcade.....

It has Japanese mode, and North American mode....

Sure, the graphics on the Colecovision and the NES are better, but DK Arcade's graphics are pretty good, and nothing beats its gameplay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    I've got a few Intellivision games, and a lot of retro consoles and games; as i'm a modder by hobby.

Donkey Kong in the pics looks rather like the Activision (?) version at the time which was hardly great; NES version and Colecovision version are regarded as being close to the arcade original versions, in fact, one of the reasons the NES was made in the first place was for Donkey Kong.

There are some great Intellivision titles but a lot of bad ones, really bad ones.
    Dont judge a game by its graphics! This game PLAYS great. And yeah, there alot of bad games on ANY system!

BTW, Nice work on that super controller!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elektronite View Post
    I promise you, this blows away the NES version, the Colecovision version, and the Atari 7800 version.

You can control the barrels, just like in King of Kong.

It has all the tricks of arcade DK....stand beside DK on the second screen, and jump and get 100 points...enemy action is like the arcade....the digitized sound, sounds like the arcade.....

It has Japanese mode, and North American mode....

Sure, the graphics on the Colecovision and the NES are better, but DK Arcade's graphics are pretty good, and nothing beats its gameplay.

You are right! Graphics dont make a game better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those interested, the price is low for an Intellivision homebrew.

However, I think most interested in purchasing this game will be Donkey Kong mavens, particularly those who noticed that only one other DK home release has all four arcade levels (Atari 8-bit). But to most, this may not matter.

Many would rather spend their homebrew dollars on games seen as new or unique. Adding a level and the ability to control barrels may not be enough to get gamers to fork over $30 when most already have the Coleco version. Just saying.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It isn't just an extra screen.....the game includes music that was hidden in the arcade unit and not used...digitized sounds.....tight control.....sure, it is for people who like DK, but it is also for people who like the Intellivision.

Mame probably has the best version.....but for a home system, this version blows away the Colecovision.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quite a few people emailed us and said that they missed the sale, and asked if I could sell them a copy at the sale price.

So, to help celebrate July 4th with our American friends, we have decided to have a July 4th sale.

D1K Arcade, for $30 US shipped to your door.

Please check out;

www.gamesforyourintellivision.com

or

www.elektronite.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The one thing could I noticed on the video was the controls. It is had to tell this by looking at a video, but it seemed to control very well. The jumps seemed very responsive. It looks like quite a game. Good Job!