Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a PS3 purchase worth it at this point?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    Thank you to everyone for all of the help. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll just try to sum up what I've heard. The earlier models are cheaper and play PS1, PS2, and PS3 and don't seem to have any other negatives compared to the slim models besides the bulky design, which for me is no problem. Although it shares many titles with the 360, the PS3 has a considerable amount of exclusives for me to get my fix. The Uncharted games look great, if I got the PS move and the light gun then there are a good amount of light gun games out there, Ratchet and Clank is fun and great for Multiplayer (the new one), infamous looks great, and I'm sure there are many others out there. Mix that with PSN and the tons of old and new titles available with a membership and I'm sure I can have fun with those games. In addition it's a BluRay player and has the best graphics on the console market. The new Xbox and PS4 don't seem to be coming out any time soon and new rumors are saying the Wii U will launch at a whopping $600! If I can find a good deal on one (even on DP if anyone doesn't want theirs) I think I will love my new PS3. Am I missing anything or did I get anything wrong? Please tell me so I don't make a hasty purchase and become disappointed!
    Um, you're mostly on-point there. Some quick things to review:

Early backwards-compatible PS3's seem to have scaled down in value to reflect the overall MSRP of PS3s in general, but backwards compatible models still have a decent value proposition. I wouldn't call them "cheap". Early non-backwards-compatible PS3s are likely to be less expensive than new slim models, but if you're going a non-backwards-compatible route I'd recommend a newer slim for the sake of reliability.

Here's a short list of PS3s that you can play disc-based PS2 games on:

• 20GB Launch Model (hardware based PS2 emulation, no Wi-Fi)
    • 60GB Launch Model (hardware based PS2 emulation, Wi-Fi)
    • 80GB 1st hardware revision (software based PS2 emulation, there are a few flavors of this model)

All PS3s play disc-based PS1 games.

Launch model and early-gen "fat" PS3s can be prone to thermal breakdown (the yellow light of death), so if you buy a used "fat" PS3 keep that in mind. It's not as widespread as the hardware flaws found in early gen 360s, but it's a noted hardware issue. Sony does repairs on all makes/models for around $100/$150.

A PLUS membership is $20 for 3 months or $50 for a whole year. You get access to free games on a weekly basis, including a lot of PS1 games and many full-fledged games like Infamous, Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank, etc. discounts on games that non-members don't get, and early access to betas not open to the general public. As long as you keep your membership you can play anything you get for free. If you cancel your membership you can't play the games you got for free but you can play the stuff you bought on discount or non-game items given away for free (DLC packs, add-ons, avatars, etc.).

http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/

FYI as of now you get access to that Ratchet & Clank game you liked when you join PLUS in addition to 11 other games. Check them out on that link.

As Kupo indicated - that deal ends on Tuesday of next month.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

Early backwards-compatible PS3's seem to have scaled down in value to reflect the overall MSRP of PS3s in general, but backwards compatible models still have a decent value proposition. I wouldn't call them "cheap". Early non-backwards-compatible PS3s are likely to be less expensive than new slim models, but if you're going a non-backwards-compatible route I'd recommend a newer slim for the sake of reliability.

• 80GB 1st hardware revision (software based PS2 emulation, there are a few flavors of this model)

Launch model and early-gen "fat" PS3s can be prone to thermal breakdown (the yellow light of death), so if you buy a used "fat" PS3 keep that in mind. It's not as widespread as the hardware flaws found in early gen 360s, but it's a noted hardware issue. Sony does repairs on all makes/models for around $100/$150.

A PLUS membership is $20 for 3 months or $50 for a whole year. You get access to free games on a weekly basis, including a lot of PS1 games and many full-fledged games like Infamous, Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank, etc. discounts on games that non-members don't get, and early access to betas not open to the general public. As long as you keep your membership you can play anything you get for free. If you cancel your membership you can't play the games you got for free but you can play the stuff you bought on discount or non-game items given away for free (DLC packs, add-ons, avatars, etc.).

FYI as of now you get access to that Ratchet & Clank game you liked when you join PLUS in addition to 11 other games. Check them out on that link.

I have a question. If I get the Ratchet and Clank game will it go away from my PS3 on the tuesday of next month? Or will it go away from my PS3 when my meembership ends? Or is it a permanent download in my PS3 memory? I do not know much on the PSN subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question. If I get the Ratchet and Clank game will it go away from my PS3 on the tuesday of next month? Or will it go away from my PS3 when my meembership ends? Or is it a permanent download in my PS3 memory? I do not know much on the PSN subject.
    Any "free" games you get from being a member of PSN+ will stay in your account as long as you remain a member. As soon as you let your membership expire it will be deleted or no longer free to play.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Anything you download through the PLUS membership will:

A.) Stay on your HDD even if you let your membership lapse, it will just "lock" until you renew membership.

B.) Stay in your download/purchase history so you can delete it off your HDD and even IF it's no longer available for new PLUS members to download you can go to your list or find it in the store and re-download it for free if you're still a member.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Any "free" games you get from being a member of PSN+ will stay in your account as long as you remain a member. As soon as you let your membership expire it will be deleted or no longer free to play.
    Not deleted, just not accessible to play. It just locks down. You can leave the content on your HDD or PSP, it'll unlock whenever you decide to renew.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-27-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're planning to rotate out three games per month out of the twelve for the "instant game collection." The only ones that are going away next week are Hard Corps: Uprising, Virtua Fighter 5, and Zombie Apocalypse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by scaryice View Post
    They're planning to rotate out three games per month out of the twelve for the "instant game collection." The only ones that are going away next week are Hard Corps: Uprising, Virtua Fighter 5, and Zombie Apocalypse.
    Well, that's nothing but good news for Gunstar Hero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Easily 95% of the software library for both platforms is identical for the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3.

If you don't like the 360's library of software, you're not going to enjoy the PS3's.
    I would agree that the vast majority of games are the same on the 360 and PS3, but in my case all it took was that 5% of exclusives on the PS3 to be the deciding factor for me to get a PS3. The 360 has some great exclusives like Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable etc, but it just doesn't enough for me to go out and spend $200-300 on it. If I was deciding what to buy between the 360 and PS3, I wouldn't be looking at which console has the most exclusives, I would looking at the system that has the games that cater to my gaming tastes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I would agree that the vast majority of games are the same on the 360 and PS3, but in my case all it took was that 5% of exclusives on the PS3 to be the deciding factor for me to get a PS3.
    But do you completely dislike that other 95% of its library? Would you be very satisified with your investment if you did? And do you think you would even be likely to enjoy many of the Sony exclusives if you felt that way about modern gaming in general? Much of what Sony publishes is hardly revolutionary or unique. It tends to have high quality of course, but much of it is also very much standard fare for modern gaming.

I can certainly see the PS3 being a very viable choice. But with what he wrote about with his experience with the 360's library, I think there's an excellent chance he's going to be less than pleased with a PS3.

If I was deciding what to buy between the 360 and PS3, I wouldn't be looking at which console has the most exclusives, I would looking at the system that has the games that cater to my gaming tastes.
    No one was suggesting that someone count up the number of exclusives between the two and select the one with the most.

And because 95% of the library is the same between the two, if you're selecting the one that best caters to your gaming taste, you sort of have to be investigating the exclusives for obvious reasons...

It's those exclusives that are what largely differentiates the two.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-29-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Thanks for the summery, answered a few questions I had! So will these repairs that one can send to Sony if they get a BC model PS3 resolve the problems and make them efficient like the slim models? Then you just swap put the HD for like a 500gb and ready to go?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    Thanks for the summery, answered a few questions I had! So will these repairs that one can send to Sony if they get a BC model PS3 resolve the problems and make them efficient like the slim models? Then you just swap put the HD for like a 500gb and ready to go?
    I think it's just standard repair/refurbishment. I don't believe that they modify anything for efficiency's sake, but you can swap out the HDD for a 500GB if you want.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Well, that's nothing but good news for Gunstar Hero.
    I agree

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I actually think it is a very good time to get a current gen system for anyone. A lot of the good games are becoming around the $10-15 mark used at Gamestop. Even games that came out just a year or two ago are dropping that low.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sony may be bringing out a new super slim PS3 - http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-sup...he-way-6385661

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rpg_fanatic View Post
    sony may be bringing out a new super slim ps3 - http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-sup...he-way-6385661
    $200 ps3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I actually think it is a very good time to get a current gen system for anyone. A lot of the good games are becoming around the $10-15 mark used at Gamestop. Even games that came out just a year or two ago are dropping that low.
    This is very true, there are tons of games that are very cheap for all of the systems. Maybe a result of this console generation lasting longer than others?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

This is very true, there are tons of games that are very cheap for all of the systems. Maybe a result of this console generation lasting longer than others?
    Gamestop employees I saw actually blamed it on the Wii U. They talk like this generation is coming to a close.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Gamestop employees I saw actually blamed it on the Wii U. They talk like this generation is coming to a close.
    This generation is pretty much over for the Wii, the 360 still has some gas in it, and the PS3 will probably be supported for the next 4-5 years if history is any indicator.