Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rarest gaming item you own?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've sold some of my rarest items recently, so I think currently it's the set of tarot cards that was the pre-order bonus for Tactics Ogre on the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Liquid Kids aka Mizubaku Daibouken for the Saturn, amazingly expensive little bugger.

Also Image Fight/X-Multiply for the PS1, supposedly a smaller print than the already small Saturn print, one of the 4 Arcade Gears titles from Ving. None saw a ton of copies printed.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Okay, I have to ask, which of these is the rarest?

The King's Field Dark Side Box
    a "briefcase model" PC-Engine (including the Cd-ROM and Interface Unit)
    Lunar II for the Sega CD, complete I think
    Image Fight and X-Multiply for the PS1 (remembered this after seeing the above post)

... Wait, screw all this, I know the answer:

a custom-modded arcade stick (ripped the original buttons, stick and PCB out of a Pelican Real Arcade and replaced them with Happ parts and a MC Cthulhu). I know people have probably done similar mods, and it wouldn't get much on eBay (not that I would ever sell it), but still.

EDIT: Another one, and this one takes the cake.

I remember seeing a topic (I think it was on these very forums) where someone was looking for a computer game called Last Half of Darkness III, and people were telling him it was vaporware. Well... umm... I actually own a disk of it (its corrupted now though).
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 07-04-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel that, once something's been modded in some way, it loses any "rarity" that it may have once had.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn. I had an opportunity to purchase several other copies from Toys R' Us, when they were discounted to $20, but there was no such thing as Ebay back then.

My second rare would be the Super 8 for the SNES.
    eBay actually did exist at that point, but you wouldn't have made tons of money selling them back then using it.

I actually DID buy a few copies of the game from a local TrU at that point, but it was only to satiate my friends who were all looking for copies, not to sell for profit.

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shogungb90 View Post
    Probably my 3 cib snes store displays for starfox, Mario mart, and Mario paint. Used to be snatcher before I traded it.
    Mario Mart? Never heard of it. Sounds very interesting

My rarest item is either my cart only Gas Hog for 2600, My CIB AFAIK Bomberman 64 The Second Attack, or my JVC X'Eye.

I actually got Gas Hog in a box with a 2600 Jr and some VIC-20 and 2600 games. $25, and it was supposed to be a Sega Genesis.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have sold my 3 rarest finds.
    1. Gold NWC cart
    2. 2 NES protos
    3. 2 2600 protos.

All of them I got at flea markets.

Now, my rarest item might be a complete NES game called "Huge Insect". It is a Galaga inspired game made by my favorite company...."Sachen"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The rarest thing I own would be a sealed launch Altered Beast Sega Genesis from 1989.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    eBay actually did exist at that point, but you wouldn't have made tons of money selling them back then using it.

I actually DID buy a few copies of the game from a local TrU at that point, but it was only to satiate my friends who were all looking for copies, not to sell for profit.
    I wasn't thinking of selling them anytime soon, because I knew they would gain value 4 or 5 years later. The same thing happened with games like Ogre Battle for the SNES, until the Playstation version came out.

I didn't even have a PC back in 1997. My internet browser was a Sega Saturn with the Sega-Net adapter and I'd actually used it to buy my Jaguar online from the Tele-Games website. I'd never heard of ebay back then, but they were only around for about 3 years at that point.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 07-04-2012 at 02:37 PM.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Rare..
    I have so much stuff that I often don’t know something is rare until I either seek info on it or find it spoken about at this site..I’ll dig through boxes and bins of stuff I have away and find some thing(HOLY SHIT) that expensively rare..and then well,sell it : )
    Right now I actually am looking to get rid of things I may have that are rare on my shelves or away.I could use the money as my wifes been sick..
    Sealed NES games that were so rare years ago are now of the two many on ebay today..

Was the Mint Earthbound Complete I box I sold months ago that rare?..when I find so many on ebay..

When I look at rare gaming item of my own stuff I look at this Americana Coin Op Bartop Machine I have on my shelf,it's SO HEAVY and goes deep into the shelf...(Pool)..also has a Pac Man Clone and another PCB board that I have not been able to identify yet.(I think it’s a Space Invaders Clone)

From what I know not many of these were made and I only know of two in existence as the second owner(who had 4 but two were gutted) has done extensive research on them..

Mine is complete..

and These Vintage RED LED Coin Op Bartop Arcade Machines too.(I have three and they guy I know in CA has 1)

XBOX DEBUG KIT

for sale
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 07-06-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: ADDING TO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I wasn't thinking of selling them anytime soon, because I knew they would gain value 4 or 5 years later. The same thing happened with games like Ogre Battle for the SNES, until the Playstation version came out.

I didn't even have a PC back in 1997. My internet browser was a Sega Saturn with the Sega-Net adapter and I'd actually used it to buy my Jaguar online from the Tele-Games website. I'd never heard of ebay back then, but they were only around for about 3 years at that point.

I hear ya. I used my mom's Mac for the Internet back then, which sucked, because so many ISPs weren't Mac friendly at that point. I didn't get my own PC until about 2002 at age 24 :/

I had just heard of eBay when that game came out in '98. I didn't start using until about a year later as I recall. As much as it bums me out that so many of my favorite games are so pricey now, at least there's a venue from which to buy them Also, sure, we could have predicted the value of some of these games would increase over the years, but without eBay or something similar, it would have been hard to unload the stuff for a "collector" price.

Once a game was out of production in the 80's or 90's your only hope were the used game stores or trading with/buying from a friend. eBay; the double-edged sword

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My rarest item would have to be my sealed factory case of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

I have all sorts of rare/expensive things.

Games:
    MSX2 - Final Fantasy (JP - CIB)
    32X - Primal Rage (EU - CIB)
    32X - T-Mek (EU - CIB)
    32X - DarXide (EU - CIB)
    32X - Spider-Man: Web of Fire (US - Factory Sealed)
    Saturn - Daytona USA CCE: Netlink Edition (US - Factory Sealed)
    Game Gear - Tarzan: Lord of the Jungle (EU - CIB)

Consoles:
    Coca-Cola Game Gear (JP - CIB)
    Clear Seaman Dreamcast (JP - NIB)
    Christmas Seaman Dreamcast (JP - NIB)
    Saturn Bomberman Kit (JP - CIB)
    NES Deluxe Set w/ Stack-Up (US - CIB)

Other:
    Mega-CD Karaoke Unit (JP - NIB)
    Mallet Legend (TW - CIB)

And many, many more... I can't wait to sell it all and find a new hobby...
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Absolute rarest? Either my factory sealed Battle of Olympus (NES), factory sealed Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES), or loose Game Action Replay (NES). Nothing as special as what everyone else has...
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Combat

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as games go, I recently bought a lot of 2600 games off of craigslist and Frankenstein's Monster(cart only) was in the bundle. According to the rarity guide here it's rated 4. Not exactly very rare, but kinda getting there.

I have a feeling that IK+ for GBA is kinda rare, but will never be worth much. My mom bought it for me from the Dollar General a few years back.

I also have the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy(cart only) for SNES. Maybe my most rare game that people actually care about and want to play.

The Rogue Squadron III pre-order bonus disc might be somewhat rare. If you don't recall, pre-ordering RSIII got you a disc with the old Star Wars arcade game on it. Pretty neat.

My most rare item overall may be my unopened GameCube broadband adapter. I scooped it up after calling around local stores and finally finding one that carried it right after it was released. I never got into Phantasy Star Online, so I never opened it and the GC's online just never really took off.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak, boxed. Bought it at the video store I used to work at for $5.

Spiderman 32X, complete.

Samurai Shodown V Special AES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say my reproduction Brown Box built by Ralph Baer, but he's built around twenty more since mine for various museums. So I'll have to say my NES Camera Controller that Ralph was experimenting with. It's one of a kind.

http://www.rolentapress.com/memorabi...e%20camera.jpg
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'd say my top 3 are

-Deadspace Ultra Limited edition xbox 360
    -swordquest: Waterworld 2600
    -chase the chuckwagon 2600

I also have panzer dragoon saga but i'm not sure if its more rare than the above mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine are probably Little Samson and the Caltron 6-in-1 for the NES, and Jack Bros for the Virtual Boy. I have lots of stuff that's on the more expensive side (Popful Mail and the other Working Designs Sega CD games, Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, etc), but none of those are really ultra-rare. I won't have them for long, though -- they're all up for auction.

I also have a sealed US copy of Limbo of the Lost for the PC - if you don't remember, it's that game that got busted for plagiarizing a bunch of image assets from other games a couple years ago. Tri-Synergy (the US publisher) pulled it from the market after less than one day, and only one online store ever sold it. I've *never* seen a copy for sale on eBay (unlike the European version, which is dirt common), but I don't know if it's even worth all that much. Regardless, I still think it counts as rare.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Midwest Gaming Classic NES Devvers Demo Cart. They made I think four, gave one out in a contest, two of the guys kept them, and they gave me one for helping to facilitate their set up. Someone offered one of them $2000+ for their cart during the weekend.

If it is the 'regular' stuff, probably my Star Fox Competition Cart and Jacket, or my Super A'Can system and game.

If it is all of my "gaming" collectibles, my Midwest development JAMMA cabinet or my working Viza War pinball machine would take the cake, although neither of those are very valuable.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333