Thread: help with ensoniq pci audio card

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default help with ensoniq pci audio card

ok, well ive never had luck getting these sound cards to work under windows 98se. i have one compaq that has the ensoniq chip onboard and anouther pc with a ensoniq pci audio card installed. i cant seem to find drivers anywhere for these things or even any origional install cd's on ebay so maybe i'm missing something. ive tried downloading the drivers from creatives website because i've been told they should be compatible. i enstalled the .exe's but it still comes up as a unknown pci audio device conflict under device manager. when i try to update the drivers through device manager manually i see the option for "ensoniq pci audio" under the sound/midi/gameport device section but when i select it it just says the files not found and asks for a install cd. when i try to manually put the drivers on the hdd and then manually select them is says drivers not found.

ive tried multiple sites for the drivers and as i stated creatives site because i was told thier drivers for the ensoniq should be compatible, i ever tried the sound blaster pci 128 drivers with the same result and no luck. am i missing something here? i have no ISA slots so my only other option is to track down a SBlive! card since i have an install cd for that. i know thier cheap cards but id like to not spend any money here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I used to use one of those a long time ago. I don't know where my drivers are anymore though.

Doesn't Windows tell you what files it is looking for when it says "drivers not found" ?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I used to use one of those a long time ago. I don't know where my drivers are anymore though.

Doesn't Windows tell you what files it is looking for when it says "drivers not found" ?
    nope, usually it just says no drivers found when i try to manually locate the driver. if i go and pick from the list say "ensoniq pci audio" it does tell me specificly whats its looking for and gives option to try again or skip file, these are .dll and various other files. basicly whatever is supposed to be on the installation cd or floppy. it seems like the only thing the supposed "drivers" ive found and installed have none is add the name of the card to the list and not acually installed any drivers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    these are .dll and various other files.
    Perhaps it would be helpful if you said what these are, and which drivers you downloaded specifically.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)