Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1.2 Million Ultimate Games Collection [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb $1.2 Million Ultimate Games Collection [Slashdot]

An anonymous reader writes "If you're a collector of video games, counting the complete back catalog of titles for one system as part of your collection is a commendable achievement, but what about having full gaming sets for 22 different systems? I doubt anyone has ever done that through game purchases alone, but one eBay seller is offering such a set. The price? A cool $1.2 million. That's a crazy amount of cash to spend on games, but when you find out what's included in this auction, and the condition the games are in, it might actually sound like a good deal. Here's the list of systems the auction is offering full game sets for along with the number of games for each one: Nintendo Famicon – 1,050 games Nintendo Famicon Disk – 200 games Nintendo Virtual Boy – 19 games Nintendo Super Famicon – 1,500 games Nintendo 64 – 200 games Nintendo DD64 – 10 games Nintendo Gamecube – 320 games Sega Master System (Europe) – 300 games Sega Mark 3 & Master System (Japan) – 80 games Sega Game Gear – 200 games Sega Megadrive – 450 games Sega 32 X – 19 games Sega Mega CD – 115 games Sega Saturn – 1,150 games Sega Dreamcast – 550 games PC Engine Hucard – 300 games PC Engine Supergrafx – 6 games PC Engine CD – 120 games PC Engine Super CD – 300 games PC Engine Arcade CD – 12 games PC-FX – total games not stated Pioneer Laseractive – total games not listed."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Chances are the buyer won't pay. However, it's a pretty impressive collection.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WHat buyer? There isn't one

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Dude, IT ALREADY SOLD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIGGEST-COLL...-/300736846867

Item condition: Brand New
    Ended: Jul 08, 201213:59:58 PDT
    Sold For: EUR 999,999.99
    Approximately US $1,229,899.99
    Shipping:
    EUR 1,000.00 Chronopost Express International
    Item location: Gaming Heaven, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just because a bidder "won" the auction doesn't mean it sold. People hack accounts and place phony bids all the time on Ebay. I am guessing this is all one huge publicity stunt Adol is pulling which is consistent with the many times he has claimed his entire collection or large portions are for sale and then he never really followed through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Dude, IT ALREADY SOLD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIGGEST-COLL...-/300736846867

Item condition: Brand New
    Ended: Jul 08, 201213:59:58 PDT
    Sold For: EUR 999,999.99
    Approximately US $1,229,899.99
    Shipping:
    EUR 1,000.00 Chronopost Express International
    Item location: Gaming Heaven, France

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Just because a bidder "won" the auction doesn't mean it sold. People hack accounts and place phony bids all the time on Ebay. I am guessing this is all one huge publicity stunt Adol is pulling which is consistent with the many times he has claimed his entire collection or large portions are for sale and then he never really followed through.
    Bojay don't take this the wrong way - but I never thought I'd be thinking to myself "I hope Bojay is out there posting about this". I knew you'd be bringing some much needed skepticism and sanity to the discussion.

I hope there is as much reporting about how this sale was BS as there is about the sale itself. I don't think the news outlets will have care enough to do so.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone interested in pricing this thing out?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just an update, Adol (the owner of the collection) just posted on Nintendoage that the bidder has not paid and he doesn't think he will. As such, this is just a giant non-story that the media is reporting without doing any real research.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So basically Dream was right.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I get the impression that this is one of those things with limited appeal even to the people who would want that many games and are also in a position to actually afford it. People who collect games (or anything for that matter) are usually in it for the journey. Deciding that you want a massive game collection and just blowing a mil on the Jell-O Instant Pudding variety just so you have something to stare at the next day sounds like an easy way to render a "game room" into a "junk closet" as the deeper appreciation for it wouldn't be there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasn't Adol also the previous owner of the Mega Drive Tetris that was listed for a cool $1 million earlier in the year as well?

Also, from what was noted in the auction, the Kid's Station set in the PC Engine stuff was not included, so you could hardly say the whole thing for sale was complete.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I get the impression that this is one of those things with limited appeal even to the people who would want that many games and are also in a position to actually afford it. People who collect games (or anything for that matter) are usually in it for the journey. Deciding that you want a massive game collection and just blowing a mil on the Jell-O Instant Pudding variety just so you have something to stare at the next day sounds like an easy way to render a "game room" into a "junk closet" as the deeper appreciation for it wouldn't be there.
    I think that's probably right. It really is a niche of a niche. You'd have to be wealthy, a Japanese game collector and have the time and space to deal with thousands of items all at once. Although many of us have built larger collections than this over a period of many years, I just can't see anyone wanting to get something like this all at once.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    Anyone interested in pricing this thing out?
    ~$175 a game is what I think it works out to.

Adol used to do this with one or two collections on eBay at a time to draw attention to his store and whatnot.

I'm sure he's gotten offers on individual sets and he would be glad to move them if the price was right for him. With this buying coming through? I highly doubt it.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Wasn't Adol also the previous owner of the Mega Drive Tetris that was listed for a cool $1 million earlier in the year as well?

Also, from what was noted in the auction, the Kid's Station set in the PC Engine stuff was not included, so you could hardly say the whole thing for sale was complete.
    That was an Italian collector.

Like I said before, there is no buyer. Why Yahoo had a story on the front page in the first place about this was ridiculous. If it was a definitive sale that actually went through, I could see it being a real story for sure but there isn't a chance in hell someone is paying 1.2 million for all that.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Yeah it is pretty crazy if someone spent that much on that collection, it's still too expensive per game when sold in bulk.

It's completely different to how you listed your Blockbuster World Video Game Championships II cart for $50,000 as that wasn't crazy at all. Totally not a ridiculous asking price and that was listed for a good reason unlike Adol's collection which might have been for attention grabbing(allegedly).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Yeah it is pretty crazy if someone spent that much on that collection, it's still too expensive per game when sold in bulk.

It's completely different to how you listed your Blockbuster World Video Game Championships II cart for $50,000 as that wasn't crazy at all. Totally not a ridiculous asking price and that was listed for a good reason unlike Adol's collection which might have been for attention grabbing(allegedly).

I mean, if people can't read best offer on an auction and want to make (allegedly) make troll posts about stuff not related to the subject at hand I feel bad for them.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I just found it funny how you're making it sound like he was a greedy idiot for listing his collection for so much as nobody would ever pay that much, yet you listed your stuff the same way.

Doesn't really matter about having a best offer option either, would anyone really think that a person would accept an offer of 1/25th of someone's asking price? At that time you were asking 20 times the highest amount any copy ever sold for, and most copies sold for less than that amount. Usually anyone with a best offer option would want an amount somewhat close to the amount listed. You did sell it for more than any previous copy before that, but that was only after you significantly lowered the price and it still took months to sell.

Why did you start it out at $50,000? Did you really expect to get that amount or did you do it for attention?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    That was an Italian collector.
    The guy who owns the Mega Drive Tetris now is Italian, I'm pretty sure he originally bought it from Adol for around 11K Euro and then got it signed by the creator. Eventually the Italian guy listed it on eBay for that 1 million but I don't think it's ever moved.

I'm sure this auction was just a grab for attention from Adol, and it seems to have worked well since we're all still talking about it.

Like others though, I'd never want to pick up a complete collection at a huge premium like that. Half the fun in game collecting is the hunt for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'm sure this auction was just a grab for attention from Adol, and it seems to have worked well since we're all still talking about it.
    That would be fine for us since this is a gaming website. Whats weird is how all the mainstream sites have picked up the story and ran with it despite the fact that theres no real buyer so far.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I just found it funny how you're making it sound like he was a greedy idiot for listing his collection for so much as nobody would ever pay that much, yet you listed your stuff the same way.

Doesn't really matter about having a best offer option either, would anyone really think that a person would accept an offer of 1/25th of someone's asking price? At that time you were asking 20 times the highest amount any copy ever sold for, and most copies sold for less than that amount. Usually anyone with a best offer option would want an amount somewhat close to the amount listed. You did sell it for more than any previous copy before that, but that was only after you significantly lowered the price and it still took months to sell.

Why did you start it out at $50,000? Did you really expect to get that amount or did you do it for attention?

What are you talking about?

I never even remotely said that about adol. I said that I knew it didn't sell for 1.2 million because that price is high and he had a best offer. It was obvious someone was messing with his auction. I think you misread or just plain made up stuff because why the heck would I be upset about someone selling stuff at high prices? No buyer = someone messing with his auction and adol was not trying to get 1.2 million or he would not have a best offer.

And now per my auction, see above. An actual "auction" starting at 50K is a lot different than me putting my game up for 50K with BEST OFFER. I am not sure you have the memo on this but when someone puts something up at a high price or best offer they aren't trying to get the initial price on it. That is why there is a best offer option. I got a good offer and took it.

I mean, the problem is you care about something that was my property and I sold it and I had it on ebay for months but what does it matter to you? Did this bother you or something? No copy of that game had sold in years and people are trying to price it and you are trying to blame me for getting the most out of my item? That doesn't make any sense, especially when you twist my meaning and think that I said anything bad about adol putting up a 1.2 million price.

The fact that this has nothing to do with adol's auction and you obviously remember the Blockbuster cart I sold awhile back with a best offer option is kind of uh..strange?

I mean, the idea was to bring people to my store. It did, it sold. If I wanted attention I'd be on the forums all the time bragging about my collection and having websites dedicated to every single thing I own but I don't so again, what does any of this have to do with adol? He deserves to get the most he can for his stuff. Therefore I don't even know what your post is merited towards since you misinterpreted what I typed on a message board.