Thread: started a new classic computer/misc old electronics page

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default started a new classic computer/misc old electronics page

ive seen people post this before so im assuming its ok, if not i have no problem deleting. ive been throwing a few pics of some of my pcs on FB lately and a friend suggested i throw together a page (or i guess a "blog" is what the kids refer to them as these days) to display and create conversation on some of the stuff. reviewers are a dime a dozen and most information can be found already on a wiki or what not but i felt the urge to add my 2 cents and maybe post a few things that arnt usually covered. the site allows comments so i'm hoping thats where most of the conversation will come from. its pretty bare right now but i hope to post some intresting systems (console and classic pc) in the coming weeks. i havnt created any sort of web page since the late 90's so i'm somewhat out of form.

http://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/

i'm open to any ideas.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow! Great site.

I really like the variety of hardware and software on there. Good disassembly photos and diagrams, too.

Also, thanks for posting the info about how to reverse the discoloring of white plastic.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great site, but I could have happily gone the rest of my life without ever thinking about Packard Bell again. Those computers were such a pain to work on.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PIIIs came in slot 1 format for a while. really only the later ones were a socket. Celerons moved quickly back to a socket. I remember them having those Slockets so you could use them in slot 1 boards.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    PIIIs came in slot 1 format for a while. really only the later ones were a socket. Celerons moved quickly back to a socket. I remember them having those Slockets so you could use them in slot 1 boards.
    your right. forgot about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    Great site, but I could have happily gone the rest of my life without ever thinking about Packard Bell again. Those computers were such a pain to work on.
    I agree. funny enough though all the ones I tend to find boot right up without to much issue, one had a dead hdd and one a dead psu but you will have that with most any 20+ year old PC. as for cutomiseing and working on them though. yhea all kind of odd little things that just make them a pain.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been awhile since I've worked on one, a few years ago I got rid of almost all my early PC Clones. What I remember is that taking them apart was always a puzzle, and none of the parts they used were standard. And they did weird stuff like put the sound card on the same card as the modem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    It's been awhile since I've worked on one, a few years ago I got rid of almost all my early PC Clones. What I remember is that taking them apart was always a puzzle, and none of the parts they used were standard. And they did weird stuff like put the sound card on the same card as the modem.
    yhea, sometimes I almost thing their half decent then they have some little quark that makes them less then customizable for me. My pb500 is a actually nice XT class PC but then you find out the onboard floppy cannot be disabled and you cant add a high density floppy controller. then on my Pentium 75 PB which also happens to have one of those modem/sound cards that even though you can disable the onboard video its very picky on what kind of video cards you can add to the machine. Then there's my newest PB this 486 machine I'm working on that has a horrible BIOS that's super picky about hard drives. The only drive I've managed to get working is an old 400mb conner drive. I'm hoping to add a ISA IDE controller to fix that but i wouldn't be surprised if that didn't work.