Thread: Anyone else have this little quirk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Default Anyone else have this little quirk?

I have this weird thing when playing games on consoles that have been "rebranded" midway through their life cycle.

A perfect example is with the MegaDrive. With the Model 1, I prefer to play all my Black box games, as that was how it was being marketed at the time. But then the Model 2 came out, and they changed all the art of the Red label games. It doesn't feel right playing my black label games on the Model 2. Though for some reason I have no qualms with playing the red label games on a Model 1.

The PS3 is another good one. If a game was released before the slim, I'd prefer to play it on the original PS3 fat. Though again no issues with the "PS3" branded games on a fat, it just feels weird playing the early titles on a Slim. Same goes for the PS2 and it's re-design in 2004.

It gets to the point sometimes, that I will completely avoid certain titles on my shelf. For awhile, I had my Model 2 MegaDrive hooked up, and I barely even touched my black box games. Since getting my PS3 Slim a couple weeks ago, I've noticed I've been avoiding my launch titles and other pre-slim titles a bit, as I would very much prefer to play them on my now dead 20GB (And I really want to replay MGS4....).

I'm sure this sounds very odd, but I just wanted to get this out there to see if I'm not the only one.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kind of.. I do have an urge to remove the 32X from off my Genesis model 1, as it's sat for the last 15+ years. I just want to see the Sega Genesis as it was when I got it, unhindered by the portly plug piloting its pork into the Genny's pins. But it's such a mess to disconnect all those criss-crossed cables and pull out the metal plates and stuff, I just can't be bothered. I almost want to pick up a second model 1 just for the nostalgia of plugging a Genesis game directly into the attractive 16-bit system without the bulky beast above.

first world problems

Insert Coin (Level 0) MasterFygar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I do the same thing! I thought I was the only one and I've always felt a bit weird to admit it. I get an ominous feeling whenever I put a game that was released for the DS Phat into my later models (Lite, DSi, 3DS) so I usually don't. I wonder what the psychology is behind it? Seems like it shouldn't make a difference, but it certainly does...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

I agree with you guys to an extent. Though mine is to the point I won't buy a console when it gets re-designed. For whatever reason I only ever want to play using the original version of the console. I have a 1st version Genesis, playstation 1 and 2. I also currently am still using my original xbox 360 and PS3 with no urge to get the new version of the consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really... though I sometimes get the urge to play my GB/GBC/GBA games on their original handhelds instead of my GBS SP/DS Lite.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My only quirk is not buying greatest hits versions of Playstation games, maybe more of a preference than a quirk?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you think this is an issue, you may have OCD. If a game was released during the time of "Revision A" and it gets a Greatest Hits release during the time of "Revision B," which console do you play the Greatest Hits release on? It's not like staring at the console is meant to be part of the playing experience.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    My only quirk is not buying greatest hits versions of Playstation games, maybe more of a preference than a quirk?
    I have the same issue with Greatest Hits/Platinum/Player's Choice releases. I never had much of an issue with it prior to the PlayStation 1 because only the outer packaging looked different for the most part (exceptions including Metroid on NES and the Zelda games). When the PS1 Greatest Hits rolled around, they look outright horrible with the ugly green bar down the side and the crappy, lazy, and somewhat bootleg looking discs.

I've continued the practice into the PS2/Xbox/GC era but have made exceptions on games like Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution and Fables the Lost Chapters.

As for the OP's subject, I don't recall ever only playing black box Genesis/MD games only on a Model 1 unit instead of a Model 2. As NayusDante put it, it strikes me as a form of OCD. I'm sure I've got plenty of quirks that "qualify" me as OCD but this isn't one of them.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

That's just perfectly normal OCD.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    That's just perfectly normal OCD.
    Why do I keep getting the feeling that psychology majors would have fun on this forum?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only prefer the original model if it's actually better hardware, and even then, the best version of the original design is rarely the first.
    I'm happy with my grey XBOX360 because it was from the very last month of production, for example.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Why do I keep getting the feeling that psychology majors would have fun on this forum?
    I don't know, is it the discussion over which way cartridges faced in Genesis packaging originally? Because I think we had that.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I don't know, is it the discussion over which way cartridges faced in Genesis packaging originally? Because I think we had that.

Yes we did, and discussions like that is the reason why I love DP.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was actually in dispute?

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    That was actually in dispute?

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ce-in-the-case
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."