Thread: How to sell Windows XP "For distribution only with a new PC" version

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to sell Windows XP "For distribution only with a new PC" version

A friend and I just picked up 20 sealed copies of Windows XP professional. They don't contain Installation keys as they're supposed to be included with PCs. I see these all the time on Ebay sold with a junk piece of ram, dead hard drive or motherboard to satisfy M$'s rules. Can these be sold without that without getting myself in trouble or do I have to include hardware mandatory?

I am going to sell all but one, paid 20 for the entire lot. Just want to cover my bases before I list them on Feebay.

Thanks
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to know the answer to this too since I also have a sealed Windows XP Professional that says it needs to be sold with a new PC. I've already had issues listing PC software on ebay before so I decided not to list mine until I figure out how to do it without it being removed.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

On a similar note... I have a PC case with the Vista license, yet no disc. I guess if somebody really wanted me to ship just its right side panel where the sticker is. Not packing up an entire ATX!
    Lum fan.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I would think they're basically worthless without the key, unless someone lost or damaged their install CD. Even OEM versions usually come with the key. I see a whole bunch of OEM copies sold without any hardware though, I'm not sure if you really need to bundle anything with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the actual legal license is not included ebay may or may not kick the auction if it is just the disc only (they have been known to kick them often). Any computers sold with Windows have to include the license key. In regards to XP, Win 2k3, Vista, etc, if the key has been used prior and registered, the only legal way to sell it is if its included with the original hardware it was installed on, a entire prebuilt computer. Otherwise you will risk the buyer attempting to register the key with Microsoft, finding out they cant, them filing a complaint with ebay, and your account being suspended on a temp or permanent basis. Of the few things ebay takes very seriously, one of them is that Microsoft EULA concerning XP on up. They will also suspend accounts for selling old computers with os installed like 95/98/me or Dos without including a original COA.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw several completed auctions with them selling without a key for decent cash too. Why do I get the feeling that Ebay is making up their own politics and rules far beyond what MS requires for this stuff.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I was able to pick up a few PC's from a local credit union on the cheap a while back. They were all Dell Core2's with the WinXP Pro COA on the tower. I didn't get any original disks, so made a couple copies of one I already had. Several people asked about if the copy of XP was legit, in which it is. Most people don't understand that you're actually paying for the COA more so than the disk.

If you're selling just the disks, I would imagine you should be OK. I would much rather have an unused COA than an unused install CD.

EDIT:
    I might add that these were sold locally and NOT on eBay, so I didn't personally have to deal with their rules or regulations.
    Last edited by fluid_matrix; 07-14-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I saw several completed auctions with them selling without a key for decent cash too. Why do I get the feeling that Ebay is making up their own politics and rules far beyond what MS requires for this stuff.
    Probably the best thing to do would be to contact their customer service, tell them what you are attempting to sell and ask for what you specifically need to include with the auction in order to not break any of their rules or policies regarding software sales. Otherwise you'd just be taking a chance and from personal experience I know that they take those offenses pretty serious. Thats why I won't list mine until I am 100% certain it's allowed.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.