Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Gamecube games that were not that popular?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Gamecube games that were not that popular?

I was just playing Wario World, thinking it was a pretty good game not many people I knew played. What would you say are some other great Gamecube games that were unpopular?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Henshin a Go Go Baby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doushin the Giant for sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What i remember about the Gamecube was new releases seemed much more few and far between compared to the other systems, I went to Gamestop probably once a week looking at GC games and it was always pretty much the same stuff, the PS2 and Xbox had like 3 times the shelf space, so it seems like most of the decent games that came out did get played , because there wasnt as many choices, and most of the really good stuff was Nintendo stuff which everyone is going to buy anyways since there is a pretty dang good chance its gonna be awesome.

Ones I liked
    Wind Waker - My favorite Zelda, I've played and beatem all of them except the DS titles and skyward sword which are currently on my backlog. Alot of people never gave it a chance because of the graphics or because of the sailing, but the game is beautiful in motion and the only time the sailing got to me was when I played through again and mapped every square and found every secret, on a normal play through its not as bad as people make it out to be.
    Timesplitters 2 - Supposedly sold pretty well, but none of my friends have ever heard of it until I introduced it to them, It is probably in my top 3 shooters ever, play through and then do the tests or whatever they are called to unlock all the multiplayer modes and call your friends. Still to this day I have friends over (who are mostly current gen graphic whores) and we have a blast playing it, they all love them game.

Tales of Symphonia - I was very sad at the lack of rpgs on my favorite console, so when I saw Tales.... that was enough I bought it, I actually really enjoyed it and I generally dont like real time rpg battle systems, kinda pricey for a GC game nowadays.

Eternal Darkness - Didnt like the game at the time because it drove me crazy, but looking back I can really appreciate how it messes with YOU, not just your character.

Skies of Arcadia - If you havent played it on DC pick it up.

Bloddy Roar - I used to rent the crap out of this game, now that Ive got into Ultimate Marvel v Capcom 3 it seems a little shallow, but I still play it occasionally with friends who arent into fighters and we have a pretty good time.

Wario Ware- Best party game every, In high school I would have parties every friday, well one day most of the guys showed up early, we started drinking and I showed them wario ware so we played for an hour or so, then the girls and everyone else started showing up, so we paused it and entertained everyone. Well one of the girls saw it paused and wanted us to show her how to play it (she isnt a gamer at all), so we put her and some friends on the turtle game and after everyone (probably 20 people) saw the game they all wanted to play, and from then on every friday it was a requirement I had the GC running on fridays for my party guests. People who didnt play video games at all to hardcore gamers all enjoyed it.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does Wrestlemania X8 count? Not sure, but a solid wrestling game with similar vibes to the N64 wrestling games. Not quite as good, but very, very close.

Mario Kart Double Dash probably doesn't count, as I am guessing this game was "popular" when it first came out. However, this gets my vote for underrated. Probably the second best Mario Kart to date.

As for Wario World, thought the game was ho-hum. Bought the game at launch, beat it, but don't think I picked it up once after. Ended up selling the game (I think to a DP member). Wasn't bad, just not great.
    Last edited by frogofdeath; 07-14-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Billy Hatcher. Got a lot of poor to middlin' reviews, but I loved it.

Also, Chibi-Robo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Doushin the Giant for sure.
    Were you playing the PAL version in the US? I bought the game and a Freeloader recently, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I know that some Americans have been able to play it in the US, so I've been trying to get a definitive answer on how I could do so. I made a topic about it, but no one who had experience specifically with Doshin replied:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ith-Freeloader

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

I'll second Wario World, and also add Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo and P.N.03 (Although I may be the only person on the planet who liked it. ). If you're counting multi-platform stuff, I'd also include Killer 7, the TimeSplitters games, and Beyond Good and Evil, among others.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Esquire Fox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To add to what others have listed:

Pikmin 1 & 2
    Kirby Air Ride

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Were you playing the PAL version in the US? I bought the game and a Freeloader recently, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I know that some Americans have been able to play it in the US, so I've been trying to get a definitive answer on how I could do so. I made a topic about it, but no one who had experience specifically with Doshin replied:

I'm not sure. It seems like people are mixed whether Nintendo included 60hz in PAL version Doshin the Giant...
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Killer 7
    Chibi Robo
    Giftpia (Japan only)
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Baten Katos
    Baten Katos Origins

(only good 3 RPG's on the system,Tales of Symphonia despite the praise is really an average RPG, It's not great but not bad but about average. One of the most boring ARPG's)
    Last edited by Ryudo; 07-15-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat never really got the attention it deserved IMO. It's actually a very polished arcade-style game once you get used to the fact that it's not a Donkey Kong Country. Nintendo tried reselling it on the Wii, but in all seriousness, how the heck can you play the game decently without the original Bongos? It's like trying to remove the Zapper from Duck Hunt.

Phantasy Star Online Episode III was pretty poorly neglected too, with fans rejecting the drastic change in formula from the previous entry even though it was pretty good in it's own right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look at my post in your Thread. I got Doshin to work and posted a review.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Great game, with a great use of the GameCube bongos. Tis a shame the bongos were used for only 4 games worldwide, because four sets are currently collecting dust in my closet.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Look at my post in your Thread. I got Doshin to work and posted a review.
    Ah, I didn't realize that you yourself had personally played the game, and I got pretty lost trying to follow the information in the link what with all the huge blocks of quoted text from lots of different people and such. Looking again, I still don't get all of the business about needing to load special files with an SD card, or which older versions of Freeloader would work. Considering the Action Replay with the memory card tends to cost $90+ on eBay, I'm trying to find a cheaper option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Chibi Robo and Fire Emblem were both really awesome, but I have to give it up for Pac Man Vs. I don't know too many people who played it, but my friends and I were hooked on that game for quite a while.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Opti View Post
    Wind Waker

Timesplitters 2

Tales of Symphonia

Eternal Darkness

Skies of Arcadia

Bloddy Roar

Wario Ware
    None of those are really obscure or out of the mainstream :/

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I'm not sure. It seems like people are mixed whether Nintendo included 60hz in PAL version Doshin the Giant...
    Yeah, PAL game on US system. This was years ago,so I can't recall much of anything else, just that it worked without any issue. Was playing on a Sony CRT back then. I still have it, so I can check the model number if that helps.

Having read the other thread, I definitely had the "older" Freeloader. Bought it right when it came out, plus a launch Gamecube (if that matters).

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Billy Hatcher. Got a lot of poor to middlin' reviews, but I loved it.
    Yes, there's someone else who likes this game! Sure, the camera's a little wonky, and it's kind of glitchy (just like most of Sonic Teams' games of that era), but I enjoyed it.

Although, I haven't gotten past the first level of the third world. I almost beat it one time, but I lost all my lives trying to figure out where the stupid courage emblem was at the end of the level! Why couldn't they just have it appear wherever you are at the time?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I didn't get all that in to double dash but was a huge mario kart 64 fan and love the new wii version to death

I'm going to second skies of arcadia I normally am not a huge fan of rpgs but that is a damn good one that really got looked over being released on DC and then GC great on both consoles hope it sees a re release.

Eternal darkness is pretty awesome to the way it messes with you dated looking since it started on the 64 but still!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty good recommendations. Any others? How about Shooters, Beat Em Ups sidescrollers? Anything else?