Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Console only gamers.... what do you think of the Steam sales ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Console only gamers.... what do you think of the Steam sales ?

Before I ever had a gaming PC, I would hear the word "Steam" mentioned a bunch on various forums, and I knew that it was something to do with buying digital downloads, but other than that, I didn't pay much attention to it. I would hear people talking about Steam sales and such, but knew that Steam was PC only, so never bothered to look at any of it.

Now that I have a gaming PC, Steam Sales (as well as some of the Amazon and GamersGate sales) are my lifeblood for my modern gaming collection. Getting triple A games for $4.99 each doesn't suck. Yeah, the games are much older games now, and have been out for a very long time, but still. On Steam, the prices can be ridiculously low, and if I was a console-only type gamer who looked in a Steam sale thread, I would be wondering why the heck Sony and MS and Nintendo never do sales like that.

Portal 2 -------------------------------- $4.99
    Borderlands ----------------------------- $4.99
    Rage ------------------------------------ $9.99
    Deus Ex Human Revolution ---------------- $7.50
    Darksiders ------------------------------- $4.99
    Alan Wake ------------------------------- $7.49
    Fallout: New Vegas ---------------------- $4.99
    Bioshock 2 ------------------------------ $4.99
    Dead Space 2 ---------------------------- $4.99
    Mirror's Edge ----------------------------- $4.99

All of those titles listed below were triple A blockbusters at one time on console. All of those games are old now. Some much more older than others. Still if you tried to buy these games digitally from PSN or Xbox Live, no way in hell you'd be paying those prices. The lowest stuff like that goes for on those services is closer to $15 on the low end. You just don't see AAA games for 5 bucks on the consoles. Of course, the big difference is that a gaming computer costs about 4 times as much as a console does (when the console is in it's later period in life) Even when the console is brand new (Xbox 360 $399.99), a gaming rig costs about double that. So, it's one of those pick your poison things. Either pay thru the ass to build the gaming rig, or pay thru the ass buying the indvidual games.

I was just curious as to what console-only people thought about the whole Steam sale thing...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    if I was a console-only type gamer who looked in a Steam sale thread, I would be wondering why the heck Sony and MS and Nintendo never do sales like that.
    I'm a console and portable only gamer and I can tell you right now why the Big 3 don't do digital sales like that all the time: they don't have to. I can find deals like that(or better) at a number of stores thru clearance sales and reward program deals. But lets use your list as an example with the lowest prices I've seen console versions go for in parentheses:

Portal 2 -------------------------------- $4.99 ($9.98 Target)
    Borderlands ----------------------------- $4.99 ($9.99 Game of The Year edition Best Buy)
    Rage ------------------------------------ $9.99 ($5.00 Best Buy)
    Deus Ex Human Revolution ---------------- $7.50 ($13.98 at Target currently, next price drop will match your price)
    Darksiders ------------------------------- $4.99 ($4.99 Best Buy Outlet deal)
    Alan Wake ------------------------------- $7.49 (Buy it Now on ebay for $6.49 with free shipping)
    Fallout: New Vegas ---------------------- $4.99 ($10 Best Buy Outlet and $9.98 Target)
    Bioshock 2 ------------------------------ $4.99 ( $9.98 Target , $9.99 preowned at Best Buy)
    Dead Space 2 ---------------------------- $4.99 ( $7.99 preowned at Best Buy)
    Mirror's Edge ----------------------------- $4.99 ($9.98 Target)
    As you can see the deals I have ran across are comparable to yours and even cheaper in some instances. Plus, I'd still give console versions the edge because when I get done playing my $2-$15 clearance games I can sell them, trade them in as credit or give them away to a friend or charity like Goodwill. What can you do with yours when you're done playing them? Not much outside of filling up your hard drive alittle more. And thats not a knock against PC games, it's just that some of us have so many games that it's nice to have the option to get rid of some as trade in for something else we want or just to get cash. And of course, sometimes we just don't like the game so getting rid of it would be the only viable option.

Still if you tried to buy these games digitally from PSN or Xbox Live, no way in hell you'd be paying those prices. The lowest stuff like that goes for on those services is closer to $15 on the low end. You just don't see AAA games for 5 bucks on the consoles.
    For the most part this is true but XBL members get several half off(or more) sales thru out the year so it's not like we aren't getting our fill of quality DLC games for under $10 and PSN members can say the same thing, especially when you apply the PSN+ discounts to them. And it's not like we aren't getting AAA games for cheap prices elsewhere. A small sampling:

Mass Effect 2------------------------------$5 at Best Buy
    Splinter Cell: Conviction------------------$5 at Best Buy
    Soul Calibur V-----------------------------$10 at Best Buy
    Assassins Creed---------------------------$4.98 at Target
    Halo 3: ODST-----------------------------$4.98 at Target
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance------------------$4.99 at Sears
    Killzone 2----------------------------------$10 at Walmart
    Infamous------------------------------------$10 at Walmart
    Duke Nukem Forever-----------------------$3 at....oh wait, you said AAA, my bad

I was just curious as to what console-only people thought about the whole Steam sale thing...
    I would never even pretend that they don't have some really good deals but there are deals to be found on all current platforms and consoles are no different. But to answer the question you are really getting at, no I am not jealous of Steam deals as a console gamer because(as I have pointed out) there are tons of good deals to find. It's just nice that in this tough economy with $60 launch prices all of us gamers can still find super cheap deals so that we don't have to donate blood, semen and our first born just to be able to play a new game.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Steam sales are the most perfectest thing ever.

They are selling a non-sellable, non-returnable, voucher for software use on their service at a bargain bin price, whats not to like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I'm a console and portable only gamer and I can tell you right now why the Big 3 don't do digital sales like that all the time: they don't have to
    Yep, no question about it. They simply don't need to sell their catalog for so cheap. There must be a large segment of the console population that is very casual and not necessarily the deal seeking types, and they must buy those games from Xbox Live and PSN at the higher prices, and they just aren't concerned. Either that, or Microsoft and Sony are leaving a ton of coin on the table. I'm sure they do tons of research on how many more sales would they get if they went lower, or should they just stay higher and enjoy the high profits off consumers that aren't so price conscious

As you can see the deals I have ran across are comparable to yours and even cheaper in some instances.
    Well, I will say that some of those Target prices you have listed are EXTREMELY ymmv type deals. I would say 97 percent of Targets in existence don't have any copies whatsoever of Mirror's Edge or Bioshock 2 anymore. Even a game like Portal 2 is probably extremely hard to find at a Target. Sure, somebody might have found a clearance rack in some Target in Alabama or something, but the average Target customer isn't finding any of those games. Same thing with some of the Best Buy deals. Some of those Best Buy deals were only available for a very limited time, and then sold out immediately.

Plus, I'd still give console versions the edge because when I get done playing my $2-$15 clearance games I can sell them, trade them in as credit or give them away to a friend or charity like Goodwill. What can you do with yours when you're done playing them? Not much outside of filling up your hard drive alittle more. And thats not a knock against PC games, it's just that some of us have so many games that it's nice to have the option to get rid of some as trade in for something else we want or just to get cash. And of course, sometimes we just don't like the game so getting rid of it would be the only viable option.
    Now, I'm not going to disagree with you at all on this point. I much prefer to have a physical media that can be resold, traded in, given to a nephew, etc, etc. No question about that. In fact, buying these digital download PC games is more like having a long term lease with a game. It's not true ownership. You have the right to play the game under certain circumstances. If those circumstances change, then you don't have the right to play those games. Some of the circumstances are things which aren't going to be there 10 or 20 years from now, and some people are going to find that they are locked out of playing certain games. I'm not talking about Steam specifically... I'm just talking about digital in general. It's kinda a wild west type thing. Don't really know what the long-term ramifications are going to be.

I try to look at all of my PC purchases as simply long-term rentals or leases. This is why I prefer to only pay about 5 bucks or maybe $7.50 for games. Why pay more than that for a long term rental ? I can't resell the thing, so there isn't true ownership.

Yeah, there are definitely two sides to every coin. I still buy my fair share of console games, but after being so spoiled by the PC prices, I tend to buy from other gamers via Craigslist or forums like these. I wait until the games are older and super cheap. I still have to pay a bit more than I would pay on PC. On PC, if you wait long enough, you can get a bunch of $5 and $7.50 games. On Craigslist and in forums, most people will sell their games for $10 or $15. You do find some games for 5 bucks, but they are usually the really, really old games like the first GRAW or Oblivion or Project Gotham Racing 3, lol.
    Last edited by WCP; 07-17-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I paid $10 for Mirror's Edge on PS3. More than your price, but it was over two years ago. Deals are around.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Steam has amazing deals yes, but coming out right now and praising them doesn't seem all that right. Steam's summer sale is a joke compared to last years(or am I thinking of the Christmas sale?) Anyways. I know the packages last year had most if not all the games offered and more. The Square Enix one and the Take Two ones I know for sure had many more games, as well as DLC which is lacking from the current Take Two bundle.

Unless it's exclusive or you can't get it on disc, I usually don't purchase from Steam regardless unless I get a great deal. I was waiting for Sacred 2 to drop and now it's no longer even selling on Steam. Sometimes the games you're interested in won't ever drop in price. I already own it for console, but I wanted to play it on PC. It's just not a super hyped up well known game so they don't even think twice about putting it on sale. Anyways. I like games on disc, so I'd purchase them for more than Steam offers for that reason alone. Sadly, as bad as the Game of the Year Edition looks, I'm going to purchase Arkham City GotY for all content on disc.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-17-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Nah, this sale wasn't as good as last year's. Or last Christmas...ses...sus. 's.

Uh.

The publisher deals are kind of crap now. The Bethesda pack doesn't have the ID stuff anymore because they keep that separate for Quakecon (whenever it actually happens.) I got all the ID and Bethesda stuff in one of those packs. Including the Fallout 3 games. Plus the publishers don't want to include the new games in their packs. And they want to milk more money out of people.

Also, the Square Enix pack doesn't include Batman anymore because the publishing rights were transferred in full to Warner Bros. Interactive. They also refuse to lower the price on The Last Remnant. Assholes.

And don't get me started on Sega... their 72-game pack doesn't include any of their Sonic-related Genesis games. They NEVER bundle those on Steam.

Most of the games on these indie bundles have been sold in packs or in indie bundles.

This sale blows, but I'm happy because I don't have any money. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Portal 2 -------------------------------- $4.99
    Borderlands ----------------------------- $4.99
    Rage ------------------------------------ $9.99
    Deus Ex Human Revolution ---------------- $7.50
    Darksiders ------------------------------- $4.99
    Alan Wake ------------------------------- $7.49
    Fallout: New Vegas ---------------------- $4.99
    Bioshock 2 ------------------------------ $4.99
    Dead Space 2 ---------------------------- $4.99
    Mirror's Edge ----------------------------- $4.99
    I own them all for consoles already. All bought at launch (save Mirror's Edge), a number are still sealed, and those that could have been bought as LE's were. I don't have a PC so unless those were also available on Steam for Mac I couldn't even play them. I don't play games on my computer beyond Minecraft and some FB stuff. Don't care that they're 4.99 on Steam. I don't feel slighted because when I bought them, I was fine paying what I did for them.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in the EU software companies lost a big court case this year. in effect, steam was forced to let users sell accounts and games. same goes for all software licensing.

will something similar happen in the US? Don't forget that congress is still trying to find a new way to jam pipa sopa down our collective throats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are some great prices, but if you look around hard enough you can find the hard copy of those games for consoles for dirt cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a co-worker that loves the Steam sales and I don't blame him, but like others I'd much rather pick up a physical/console copy of the game in question so I can resell it down the line if I don't like it.

I think if I looked at my Steam account and had hundreds of dollars invested in stuff that I didn't really own (semantics, I know) I'd feel a bit dumb, but that's just me.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

You mean like PS3 / XBox / Wii downloadable games and content?
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 07-18-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

1 2 P summed it all up very well, and I don't have much to add. I have no interest in sinking a large amount of cash into a PC that will be out-dated quickly just to play games that are a few bucks cheaper than the comparable versions on a $200 console.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default No used games for the next gen?

what about all the chatter that the ps4 and xbox 720 will not allow used games?

nintendo has gone out on the record and stated that the wii u will allow used games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I haven't bought one title off of Steam, but I do have 2 titles (Metro 2033 and Mafia II) that require connectivity to Steam to function. I bought those games on the cheap (physical copy) from Half-Price books and Fry's. I paid maybe $9 for Metro 2033 and $20 for the Limited Edition of Mafia II. I've also bought many titles like Dragon Age 2 ($8), NFS Shift 2 Unleashed ($7), Bulletstorm ($6) and Bioshock 2 ($6) brand new from Half-Price Books. The last full-price games I've bought for PC were retail versions of Starcraft II and Crysis 2.

It's a different story for me with the consoles. I've downloaded a bunch of games and content from LIVE and PSN, such as Pac-Man CE, Super Stardust, Pinball Arcade, Gameroom, Discs of TRON, Wipeout HD, Street Fighter II HD, REZ HD, Radiant Silvergun and Rockband music packs.

Short of my console blowing up, I know that I'll always have access to those titles, while I can't imagine Steam being around in 15 years, resulting in a bunch of games I can't play anymore, no matter what Gabe says.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I will say that some of those Target prices you have listed are EXTREMELY ymmv type deals. I would say 97 percent of Targets in existence don't have any copies whatsoever of Mirror's Edge or Bioshock 2 anymore. Even a game like Portal 2 is probably extremely hard to find at a Target. Sure, somebody might have found a clearance rack in some Target in Alabama or something, but the average Target customer isn't finding any of those games. Same thing with some of the Best Buy deals. Some of those Best Buy deals were only available for a very limited time, and then sold out immediately.
    True but I was talking about deals from over the pass 5 years to the present and deals are always going on. Today you can walk into any Best Buy and get Kingdom of Amular for $10 and Street Fighter X Tekken for $20 and next month it will be something different. And pretty much everywhere(Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart) has Deus Ex: Human Revolution for $20. But all the Targets I have been to currently have it clearanced for $13.98. Target, Kmart and Sears clearances are the biggest ymmv scenarios but it's really not that difficult to find console games for $5-$15 each, including AAA games.

Quote Originally Posted by furcointalk View Post
    what about all the chatter that the ps4 and xbox 720 will not allow used games?

nintendo has gone out on the record and stated that the wii u will allow used games.
    To be honest I seriously doubt that either Microsoft or Sony would deny the use of used games on their next systems as that would seriously damage their image and hurt their bottom line, while also pissing off their share holders. Whats much more likely to happen is that we will see a much more expanded/evolved version of the online passes currently in use. Obviously used copies will continue to be blocked from online multiplayer until you buy the pass but I have a feeling they are going to block even more than that next gen until you "upgrade" with an online pass.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a console and portable only gamer and I can tell you right now why the Big 3 don't do digital sales like that all the time: they don't have to. I can find deals like that(or better) at a number of stores thru clearance sales and reward program deals.
    Really? you can regularly find triple A games for the Big 3 for $5-$10? How about sharing your secret with us? I'd love to find a few of the Mario games for that price.

And I don't buy the "they don't have to excuse". Most older games aren't produced any more after about a year or so because sales usually drop off for games by then and stores just don't have the room to stock every game ever made. Sometimes gamers will luck out and you'll hear that a popular game got a reprint but that doesn't happen all the time. So really what happens is that these older games just die off and people need to look for a used copy if they never had the chance to pick it up. This is why 'new old stock' auctions sell for so much on eBay, they're rare. Well digital distribution would allow the big three to make every game they've ever released available for an indefinite amount of time. Isn't it better to sell an older game at a 75% discount than not sell them at all? I think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Really? you can regularly find triple A games for the Big 3 for $5-$10? How about sharing your secret with us? I'd love to find a few of the Mario games for that price.
    If you read my first post you will see a very small sampling of some of the AAA games I have gotten for $5-$20 and yes I find them regularly. As for my secret, regularly check Target, Sears, Best Buy, Kmart and Walmart for video game sales and clearances. And the easiest option: join Best Buy's rewards program and gamers club program. Both are free and it is well worth it.

And I don't buy the "they don't have to excuse". Most older games aren't produced any more after about a year or so because sales usually drop off for games by then and stores just don't have the room to stock every game ever made. Sometimes gamers will luck out and you'll hear that a popular game got a reprint but that doesn't happen all the time. So really what happens is that these older games just die off and people need to look for a used copy if they never had the chance to pick it up. This is why 'new old stock' auctions sell for so much on eBay, they're rare. Well digital distribution would allow the big three to make every game they've ever released available for an indefinite amount of time. Isn't it better to sell an older game at a 75% discount than not sell them at all? I think so.
    Microsoft has been offering their prices for digital copies of games since 2005, Sony and Nintendo since 2006. If they "had to" offer them for cheaper prices don't you think they would have done that in the last 7 years? I'm not the one buying digital copies for full retail but obviously somebody is buying them, otherwise they wouldn't keep their prices so high. They do have deals and everything eventually gets marked down to $19.99 over time but I don't think they will be changing their pricing structure for the rest of this gen. Do I think it would be better for them to sell their digital copies for a 75% discount? Of course. But I'm not either of the big three and if I had to take a guess I'd say that they wouldn't agree with me. Like I said, they don't have to and pretty much won't.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remembered this thread while making this thread today. I know, Steam gets deals like this all the time and they include way more options. You can't really argue with that point. But us console gamers get good deals too every now and then, just not nearly as often. I'm used to the biggest deals/sales during the summer and twelve days of Xmas promotions so this one was a nice surprise that just sprung up out of no where. But even with the occassional deals we get I'd definitely like if they happened as frequently as Steam sales.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I primarily played on console but since my PC is capable of playing the more modern titles, I decided to dip my toes into the Steam-y pool and see what was what. My first purchase was Batman: Arkham Asylum, which was dirt cheap. It played pretty well with only one area where it went slow-mo (the ward where you have to sticky bomb walls around an enclosure where a doctor is trapped) and I actually finished it. I then purchased a few other games, also for cheap, but I have never downloaded them or redownloaded them after I upgraded(?) to Windows 8 (video card drivers were blue-screening Vista, which worked fine for me and 8 was cheaper than 7). Out of 12 games I have 5 installed and have hardly played.

Now if we included the Humble Indie Bundles in the "cheap games" concept, I don't think I have ANY titles installed save for Jamestown.

So on one side, yeah it's great that you can get these great titles on the cheap but sucks if you don't play them or you do and it's not your cup of tea. It's easy to say "I piss away $5 on a magazine" or "So I don't buy a [insert expensive food or beverage item here]" to give some justification but still.

Console games are on a trend of getting real cheap real quick for those who are patient or being online/first to play isn't a priority. And at least if you don't like the title, you could sell it or trade it and any cash lost you could possibly chalk that up as a "rental fee".