Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Console only gamers.... what do you think of the Steam sales ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    Those are some great prices, but if you look around hard enough you can find the hard copy of those games for consoles for dirt cheap.
    The key there is 'if you look around hard enough'. In the case of Steam, I don't have to look around to find deals - no running to half a dozen stores looking at clearance bins, hoping that the store hasn't run out of copies of their amazingly priced deals. If I want a game, I click buy, wait a few minutes, and play it. They never run out, and I can download pretty much any game faster than I could run to the store and buy it.

Also, the DRM part doesn't bother me in the least; the games are so cheap (barely more than the cost of a rental) that I consider it a fair tradeoff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaniel View Post
    the games are so cheap (barely more than the cost of a rental) that I consider it a fair tradeoff.
    Cost is also the main determining factor for me when it comes to digital download games. As long as they are cheap($10 or less) I have no issues paying for them. I will never be one of those people who pays $60 for a download only game.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

This thread is kind of funny considering Microsoft is running a huge Xbox Games on Demand sale this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    This thread is kind of funny considering Microsoft is running a huge Xbox Games on Demand sale this week.
    Thats the reason I bumped this thread. When I was making a thread for Microsoft's sale in the Deals forum it reminded me of the conversations we had in this thread last year.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

They also refuse to lower the price on The Last Remnant.
    It's been awhile so you may already have it right now, but if you still don't own it, I can message you if I happen to see it go on sale. A few months ago I got it off Green Man Gaming for $3.00.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rakden
    PSN
    Rakden_Krell
    Steam
    Rakden

Quote Originally Posted by Damaniel View Post

Also, the DRM part doesn't bother me in the least; the games are so cheap (barely more than the cost of a rental) that I consider it a fair tradeoff.
    This. For 5 bucks on sale the loss of certain saleable rights is mostly moot. I'm generally opposed to DRM as it does a disservice to the paying consumer. Yet in the case of Steam, the DRM adds appreciable benefits including social options, easy networking, access to my library anywhere I have an Internet connection (and the ability to play offline should I not have an Internet connection). Between steam and GoG I find my desire to clutter up my house with physical media waning more every day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, this thread was from last year, and with Microsoft "FINALLY" actually having something that could be considered a legit sale, this thread seems a bit shortsighted. However, at the time that I originally did this, this current sale that Microsoft has going wasn't even a twinkle in their eye yet... It seems that Microsoft had to have been dragged kicking and screaming to finally offer a steam "like" deal.

Still, look at the games that are being sold, consider how many years old the games are, and consider the prices.

PC gamers can get the brand new Hitman game that just came out 3 months ago for about 10 bucks.

Microsoft has Fallout 3 for 5 bucks. That's great, but Fallout 3 is from 2008. Hitman is late 2012 and it's only $10 on the PC.

This current sale that Microsoft is doing is better than nothing, but let's not put the cart before the horse. They got a LONG ways to go before they earn the kind of cred that Steam and Green Man Gaming and Amazon get. Sony sometimes will have some really good sales (if you're a PS+ member), which is good as well, but both of them are barely dipping their toes into the waters of having extreme sales. Hopefully, they will like what they see, and continue this practice.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's been awhile so you may already have it right now, but if you still don't own it, I can message you if I happen to see it go on sale. A few months ago I got it off Green Man Gaming for $3.00.
    I've had it for a very long time. Squeenix is just AWFUL about lower prices in general before their buyout of Eidos. Once that happened, they've been more open towards big sales.

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Yeah, this thread was from last year, and with Microsoft "FINALLY" actually having something that could be considered a legit sale, this thread seems a bit shortsighted. However, at the time that I originally did this, this current sale that Microsoft has going wasn't even a twinkle in their eye yet... It seems that Microsoft had to have been dragged kicking and screaming to finally offer a steam "like" deal.

Still, look at the games that are being sold, consider how many years old the games are, and consider the prices.

PC gamers can get the brand new Hitman game that just came out 3 months ago for about 10 bucks.

Microsoft has Fallout 3 for 5 bucks. That's great, but Fallout 3 is from 2008. Hitman is late 2012 and it's only $10 on the PC.

This current sale that Microsoft is doing is better than nothing, but let's not put the cart before the horse. They got a LONG ways to go before they earn the kind of cred that Steam and Green Man Gaming and Amazon get. Sony sometimes will have some really good sales (if you're a PS+ member), which is good as well, but both of them are barely dipping their toes into the waters of having extreme sales. Hopefully, they will like what they see, and continue this practice.
    Hitman Absolution is a special case, though. The game bombed super hard. I mean, it sold okay, but it didn't sell nearly as much as Squeenix wanted it to, so of course stores will sell it for super cheap. It's the same situation as Duke Nukem Forever on consoles and PC. Only not as extreme.

Also, Fallout 3 GOTY sells for five bucks regularly on Steam.

I'm not arguing the rest of your points. You're absolutely right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic