Thread: Nintendo Powerfest '94

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Default Nintendo Powerfest '94

Hey everyone. I didn't see a post on this so I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone was interested. Seems somebody plopped down the money to buy a Nintendo Powerfest cart. Kinda cool, an insane amount of money, and well beyond my means, but still interesting.

http://kotaku.com/5927182/after-74-e...ium=socialflow

There's a link to the buyer's blog, going into further detail his ordeal in tracking down the game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

How the hecks does one video game sell for this much?
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because there are people out there with money to burn. Rather than spend that sack of cash helping out the homeless or whatever, why not buy a chunk of plastic and silicon that has been deemed to be worth thousands of dollars? Makes good sense to me

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Because there are people out there with money to burn. Rather than spend that sack of cash helping out the homeless or whatever, why not buy a chunk of plastic and silicon that has been deemed to be worth thousands of dollars? Makes good sense to me
    Why buy video games at all when you can use the money to help the homeless? In fact, why play video games, you could spend the time helping the homeless! see how bad that argument is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InboRenge View Post
    Why buy video games at all when you can use the money to help the homeless? In fact, why play video games, you could spend the time helping the homeless! see how bad that argument is?
    No, not at all.

The money spent on that single item is absolutely absurd and it's about as useful as a door stop unlike a car or home or anything else that's in that price range. Spending 50 bucks here and there on this hobby is a far cry from tens of thousands of dollars for a few plastic cartridges. If our government spent that kind of money on something so useless I'd be pretty miffed. It's just a giant waste. With all the financial problems that this country is facing, I find it offensive and short-sighted when someone with that sort of disposable cash just, well, dispose of it. Hopefully the guy that he purchased it from is a philanthropist.

Also, I donate a chunk of change to a couple of local causes every month. I have a little extra to give, so I do.

The more money you have, the more responsibility and accountability you have. With that said, the guy who bought the stupid thing may very well give millions to charity every year, so maybe I should suspend my judgement.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 07-21-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe the person who sold the game will use it on the homeless?
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hit the homeless with it? (I don't know why, but it's probably big and heavy.)
    Run impromptu tournaments with it for his own amusement?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Hit the homeless with it? (I don't know why, but it's probably big and heavy.)
    Run impromptu tournaments with it for his own amusement?
    Nintendo Hobofest 94? Sounds like a genius concept to me.

Anyway, interesting read. I wish I was a teenager in the 90's so I could've possibly participated in this type of event...

Keeping my fingers crossed for ROMs. Very, very crossed.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oddly, the local news station in San Diego just spent about 2 minutes talking about this story during their Sunday morning news. They even had a shot of the cartridge casing. I guess news stations really love stories like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

I don't know if it irritates me that someone would spend that much money on a single cart, or that part of me is jealous. Granted I could never afford anything like that, though not sure I would but it even if I could.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The guy wanted it and didn't go broke buying it so I don't see the problem. I wish I had that kind of money to spend on one game but Im not there yet.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd definitely buy a repro of this.

I participated in this event in as a kid and took 2nd place in my region. I was so incredibly close to winning a trip to california, but choked and died in Mario, which crippled my score. I'm still burnt up about that.

2nd place prize was a crappy fake leather jacket with the powerfest logo. :/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The money spent on that single item is absolutely absurd and it's about as useful as a door stop unlike a car or home or anything else that's in that price range. Spending 50 bucks here and there on this hobby is a far cry from tens of thousands of dollars for a few plastic cartridges. If our government spent that kind of money on something so useless I'd be pretty miffed. It's just a giant waste. With all the financial problems that this country is facing, I find it offensive and short-sighted when someone with that sort of disposable cash just, well, dispose of it. Hopefully the guy that he purchased it from is a philanthropist.

Also, I donate a chunk of change to a couple of local causes every month. I have a little extra to give, so I do.

The more money you have, the more responsibility and accountability you have. With that said, the guy who bought the stupid thing may very well give millions to charity every year, so maybe I should suspend my judgement.
    Think of it this way. What's the difference between him purchasing a game for that money, and that money sitting in a bank account like it was a few hours before he withdrew it? Well, I mean besides it drawing interest and being used to grant loans to business and home buyers, ect. (and I'm sure that the funds went back into the banking system after the buyer received them, so same difference).

When I was younger I used to think the way you do about things like this, then it hit me that the world keeps on turning regardless to someone purchasing (relatively) expensive items or not. No one spends everything on charitable things, and there's nothing wrong with that. If we're to criticize one person for doing it with $17,000, we also have to knock someone who does it with $17.00. There's really not much of a difference, principally. The government comparison doesn't really work because the point of government is to maintain infrastructure, defend its citizens, and lend assistance its downtrodden (though conservatives may disagree with the latter). Not spend on lavish collectibles.

The fair chunk of the money spent by people will be appropriated and recycled back into the system. It'll pay people's wadges when spent on goods and services, there will be tax revenue which will benefit everyone, ect.. Then when the game is sold, again, the cycle will start all over again. If you're going to criticize people for not being more altruistic, you would start with the people who don't spend their money at all, and horde it. There are a lot more of them than people who purchase $17,000 games, believe me.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 07-30-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoxManiac View Post
    I'd definitely buy a repro of this.

I participated in this event in as a kid and took 2nd place in my region. I was so incredibly close to winning a trip to california, but choked and died in Mario, which crippled my score. I'm still burnt up about that.

2nd place prize was a crappy fake leather jacket with the powerfest logo. :/
    Pics! I'd love to see the jacket.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Think of it this way. What's the difference between him purchasing a game for that money, and that money sitting in a bank account like it was a few hours before he withdrew it? Well, I mean besides it drawing interest and being used to grant loans to business and home buyers, ect. (and I'm sure that the funds went back into the banking system after the buyer received them, so same difference).

When I was younger I used to think the way you do about things like this, then it hit me that the world keeps on turning regardless to someone purchasing (relatively) expensive items or not. No one spends everything on charitable things, and there's nothing wrong with that. If we're to criticize one person for doing it with $17,000, we also have to knock someone who does it with $17.00. There's really not much of a difference, principally. The government comparison doesn't really work because the point of government is to maintain infrastructure, defend its citizens, and lend assistance its downtrodden (though conservatives may disagree with the latter). Not spend on lavish collectibles.

The fair chunk of the money spent by people will be appropriated and recycled back into the system. It'll pay people's wadges when spent on goods and services, there will be tax revenue which will benefit everyone, ect.. Then when the game is sold, again, the cycle will start all over again. If you're going to criticize people for not being more altruistic, you would start with the people who don't spend their money at all, and horde it. There are a lot more of them than people who purchase $17,000 games, believe me.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. We could turn this into a big socioeconomic debate, but this really isn't the place for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    How the hecks does one video game sell for this much?
    Because it is a rare artifact? You're not buying a game, you're buying a rare piece of history.

Its the same reason any historic item commands top dollar; from a Ford Model T to Action Comics #1.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Because it is a rare artifact? You're not buying a game, you're buying a rare piece of history.

Its the same reason any historic item commands top dollar; from a Ford Model T to Action Comics #1.
    Except that one thing is the basis for modern vehicles, the other is the basis of comic books, while the former is an obscure video game used for a relatively obscure competition.

Sort of an apples to oranges comparision here. The only reason this thing is so high is because two people didn't know how to barter and bought it at an insane price.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them