Thread: What are the best Fishing games with Fishing Reel Controller support? No really.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default What are the best Fishing games with Fishing Reel Controller support? No really.....

Ok you armchair anglers, I recently got an ASCII Fishing Reel controller for DREAMCAST as I recalled enjoying it a lot back in the day.

For those who are actually fans of these type of games would you please share your favorite picks? I would like your suggestions regarding:

1. Platform, Playstation, Dreamcast OTHER ? (Not sure how many old consoles had fishing games with supporting Fishing Reel controllers? )

2. Specific game titles? What were your personally favorites?

3. Brand of controller? (for example I have the ASCII for Dreamcast, is the SEGA brand one better? )

I know it's not the most popular of game genres but I enjoy it and would like the best games, platform and controllers.

Thanks to all !
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fishing Resort for the Nintendo Wii, no contest. It was made by prope, the company Yuji Naka of Sonic The Hedgehog fame started.

Not only does it use a free fishing controller and motion plus, but it included the following.

- very large amount of customizing for your character's clothes
    - both lure and bait fishing
    - giant aquariums you fill up pokemon style
    - legendary fish like the King of Herrings & even some extinct dinosaur fish
    - flats, jungle, cave, lake, bass pond, deep see, amazon river, and other locations
    - free DLC fish when you connect online
    - updatable high scores go online around the world

Just please, play the game. It has literally everything I can think of that a fisherman would want in a fishing game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, you're speaking my language!

The two to get (for the DC anyway) are Sega bass and marine fishing. I actually pre-ordered the Japanese box set back in, um, whenever the hell it was that it came out. In addition to grabbing the US version of Bass fishing, grab Get Bass (the JP version) just to hear the hilarious Japanese accent-having fellow that announces during the game. My friends and I still impersonate it to this day

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had the official Dreamcast fishing reel for over a decade now, as well as Sega Bass and Marine Fishing. Both are solid games, though I played Marine more than Bass. Can't say how the controller compares to the ASCII controller, but the official Sega reel is one of my favorite non-standard controllers of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Fishing Resort for the Nintendo Wii, no contest. It was made by prope, the company Yuji Naka of Sonic The Hedgehog fame started.

Not only does it use a free fishing controller and motion plus, but it included the following.

- very large amount of customizing for your character's clothes
    - both lure and bait fishing
    - giant aquariums you fill up pokemon style
    - legendary fish like the King of Herrings & even some extinct dinosaur fish
    - flats, jungle, cave, lake, bass pond, deep see, amazon river, and other locations
    - free DLC fish when you connect online
    - updatable high scores go online around the world

Just please, play the game. It has literally everything I can think of that a fisherman would want in a fishing game.
    I've been curious about that one but I think I'll just pick it up. Personally do you find yourself using the controller attachment or just playing with the Wii remote and nunchuck alone?

Sega Bass Fishing and Sega Marine Fishing get my vote as great games. If you're looking for something older that doesn't use a controller, check out The Blue Marlin on the NES. It's an exceptional game and I still play it a ton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

I agree. I bought the official fishing controller with Sega Base Fishing and Sega Marine Fishing 11 years ago and loved 'em both, but I definitely played Marine more than Bass. I've not tried Sega Bass Fishing 2 or Reel Fishing Wild so I can't speak much about them, but I'd assume them just as good. By the time I picked them up I was pretty much over my fishing fascination.

Another really fun thing to do with the DC fishing controller is play SoulCalibur with it. The up/down motion triggers the "Y" button, and the left/right motion triggers the "X" button, then you use your thumb for A/B/Movement. I was able to beat the game on the hardest difficulty using it like that, and it was a blast.
    Last edited by SpaceFlea; 07-19-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hands down, best choice: Reel Fishing Wild on the Dreamcast. I have Sega Bass and Marine fishing as well, but I didn't find either of them as enjoyable as Reel Fishing. I've heard that it's based on the same engine as Sega Bass fishing. I just find this one much more peaceful, and almost boring, which is a good thing in a fishing game. It uses what is basically a one-second video loop as the main screen when fishing, and the fish models are all very detailed, so it's a very nice looking game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    I've had the official Dreamcast fishing reel for over a decade now, as well as Sega Bass and Marine Fishing. Both are solid games, though I played Marine more than Bass. Can't say how the controller compares to the ASCII controller, but the official Sega reel is one of my favorite non-standard controllers of all time.
    Flip the official fishing controller over and take a little look at it

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZ-12 View Post
    Hands down, best choice: Reel Fishing Wild on the Dreamcast. I have Sega Bass and Marine fishing as well, but I didn't find either of them as enjoyable as Reel Fishing. I've heard that it's based on the same engine as Sega Bass fishing. I just find this one much more peaceful, and almost boring, which is a good thing in a fishing game. It uses what is basically a one-second video loop as the main screen when fishing, and the fish models are all very detailed, so it's a very nice looking game.

This almost sounds like a joke. A video loop as a positive? "Boring" is good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    This almost sounds like a joke. A video loop as a positive? "Boring" is good?
    I'm actually being serious. The loop isn't distracting, and it looks natural. And when I say boring, well, fishing IS boring. So any good fishing game should have a little bit of boredom. Really you're more likely to get a bite than not if you cast in the right spots, but it does have that very relaxing vibe to it. I suppose relaxing is a better description than boring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flip the official fishing controller over and take a little look
    Well go figure. So is the controller from the OP different? The way it was worded I figured it was a different reel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZ-12 View Post
    I'm actually being serious. The loop isn't distracting, and it looks natural. And when I say boring, well, fishing IS boring. So any good fishing game should have a little bit of boredom. Really you're more likely to get a bite than not if you cast in the right spots, but it does have that very relaxing vibe to it. I suppose relaxing is a better description than boring.
    Well, different strokes...

I don't care for real fishing for just that reason, so I tend towards the more "action-packed" fishing games !

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Well go figure. So is the controller from the OP different? The way it was worded I figured it was a different reel.
    I'm guessing it's the same one that we're talking about, unless Ascii made more than one version. I figure it would be hard to know that it's an OEM controller without the box telling you so. All you would have to go by is that little molded in label on the underside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Well this is the one I got, this is the unboxing video, feel free to zoom straight to the 2:23 mark where I reveal the item:

The reel is very squeaky but I hope I can fix that.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 07-20-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Well this is the one I got, this is the unboxing video, feel free to zoom straight to the 2:23 mark where I reveal the item
    Definitely the official reel. I used to have the box, may still be in my parent's basement, though I believe a couple years ago I sent it to the great recycling bin in the sky. That's as official Dreamcast as it gets. Great controller.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post

So does the package include an actual Motion Plus controller? Or just the reel setup? I'm looking into the game, but I am under the impression only the reel is included and just wanted to verify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just like Frog said, that's the official fishing controller.

As far as the squeaking goes, pop it apart and spread a little white lithium grease to the black "handle" on the pivot point. Problem solved, likely forever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega Marine Fishing (DC) is a must-have. Played Reel Fishing Wild until I had to catch a weird South American fish, IIRC the water temp, time of day, lure, & another factor had to be JUST RIGHT. That's BS to me, just let me catch some goddam fish.

There was some Reel Fishing WiiWare game I couldn't even figure out the controls for, but since getting Wii Fishing Resort, I never looked back.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Just like Frog said, that's the official fishing controller.

As far as the squeaking goes, pop it apart and spread a little white lithium grease to the black "handle" on the pivot point. Problem solved, likely forever
    Thanks for the info! Anything I can do to tighten the center thumbstik? It seems very loose / floaty.

Wii fishing Resort seems cool but damn I just hate the way human characters are done in the wacky cartoon style.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 07-22-2012 at 02:27 AM.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The stick on that controller is loose like that from the get go

Luckily you don't need to use it too often.