Thread: Seriously fun 2 player SNES game that hardly gets any love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Seriously fun 2 player SNES game that hardly gets any love

Arkanoid: Doh It Again

I remember playing this solo in the late '90s and just loving it. But on my own I'd never get too far.

In the past month or so, a friend and I have been trying to complete the game in 2 player mode. The game is so bloody brilliant in fact that it has THREE different 2 player modes, but our favorite is easily Mode B, where one player is up top, and the 2nd player is just below acting as a 2nd line of defense. My friend isn't the biggest gamer out there, but she absolutely loves this game. It's just further proof for me how simply awesome the game is. ANYONE can enjoy and get into it. We've had so many roars and laughter from playing through this game's 99 levels. There's also a password system so you can stop and play again at any point. I also love the various power-up items and the bosses. Nice touches!

Seriously, one of the best 2 player games on SNES. It's a shame it hardly gets mentioned. Arkanoid is classic, pure and simple! If you've never played this one with a buddy before, I highly recommend you do so. Mode B! It's truly a blast.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love these kinda stories. To me, the best games are ones that you enjoy with someone else. That is why I love the old 2600 games so much.
    I will definately give this one a spin with my family. Thanks for the recommendation and the story.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

I was always curious about this because it was one of the SNES' final releases, but never made an effort to get it because it didn't have a paddle controller, which was more or less mandatory with the NES version. How are the controls? Does it at least offer support for SNES Mouse control? That would be tolerable, at least.
    Regardless, I'll pick it up now if I ever see it on the cheap.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think it does support the mouse.

A couple years ago, I bought a sealed copy (though I opened it) for about $20 (about going rate for some time).
    So it should be a pretty cheap game to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I love these kinda stories. To me, the best games are ones that you enjoy with someone else. That is why I love the old 2600 games so much.
    I will definately give this one a spin with my family. Thanks for the recommendation and the story.
    You got it. You're the one with the son who likes Sunset Riders, right? (or was that someone else?). If so, I bet he would love this game with you

Yes, it does support the SNES mouse. Controls with regular pad is just fine. There's a button to make the paddle travel faster if you need it to, which is nice. Sadly, the game came out really late in SNES' lifespan. As an interesting factoid aside, it also marks the last SNES game that EGM actually reviewed. It also got good ratings from EGM, just missing the Silver Award.

Really fun 2 player game. I honestly don't see how anyone could hate this game in 2 player mode. Nice thing too is that each level 1P and 2P switches, so on level 1 you may be the 1st line of defense, but level 2 you get to experience being the 2nd line of defense. You face a boss every 11th level so 11, 22, 33, 44 and so on. It's really a neat system they've set up, and both players get to constantly experience being on the front line of the fire, and the back end. Great stuff!

My favorite powerup is the one that increases your paddle size. You can get it up to two times and you damn nearly cover half the screen it seems. When both players have this powerup on max, it's super fun. I'd be playing this with my friend with my brother on the PC in the background. He'd hear us screaming and laughing like every other minute, and he'd turn around and say "Geez! It's just a game..." then we'd let him play too and he would get hooked on it, too. The mass appeal on this game is crazy sick, haha. I bet any non-gamer would enjoy playing it as it has such a simple concept and is highly addicting. I also like the graphics and sound. Totally brings me back to the late '90s. Great memories. I'm glad I have been able to experience this full game in 2 player mode now, as I truly believe it's right up there with any other 2 player SNES experience you could name!

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome game. I'd been hoping to find a copy for years and happened to stumble upon one for $2.50 last summer during an opportune visit to a game store. The last time I fired 'er up, I played through the thing start to finish. My favourite Arkanoid will always be the NES version, but Doh It Again is totally rad. I'll have to try the 2-player mode sometime!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been wanting this since I found out it supports the mouse.. I never knew any game other than Mario Paint (and maybe a couple edutainment titles) used it, but it turns out there are a bunch!!