Thread: Slender. Possible scariest game yet?!?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Default Slender. Possible scariest game yet?!?

Alright ya might have heard about it floating around the net. Its a fairly new game that just came out called "Slender"

believe it or not this gem is actually for free

http://www.slendergame.com/download.php

Its a FP adventure game.

Its very short only one land to explore on that fairly small considering infact if you did everything right the game can be beat in 7-8 minutes.

What it does is place you in the middle of the woods at night with only a flash light in your hand. No weapons. Ambient sound and zero soundtrack. Just the sound of night woodland creatures and your footsteps on the soil.

You find a letter. You pick it up and you hear a thunderous beat like footsteps. And it begins. You now have called apon "Slender Man". A demonic entity that now gives chase in hopes of capturing you before you collect the other 7 letters scattered about the games world. If he catches you. Your dead. You don't know where he is. Or where he will pop out but he's out there and theres nothing you can do about it except for RUN!!!!
    Will find the papers in time? Or will you just become another victim of slender man?

Basically what this game does to you is emulate that fear people have no matter how tough you think you are we all have that fear of someone watching us where we can't see them. and then escalating it by them giving chase and we have no idea where they are gonna pop out and having no way to protect ourselves.

I watched a few videos about the game to see what its all about and even watched a guy play this on youtube so i saw the character and how it works and such.
    But even after that I was unprepared still with my headphones on. Room dark as can be.

Try it for yourself and talk about it below

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Interesting idea. Might be fun if I could find ONE FUCKING PAGE to get the game started. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to spend tromping around in the woods with a dying flashlight for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

And that's enough of that. I don't like overly dark games anyway, but if it's done to purposely help scare me, that would be cool. But I can't even find the first note to start the game. The best thing I can say is that it's a small download and easy to delete.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    And that's enough of that. I don't like overly dark games anyway, but if it's done to purposely help scare me, that would be cool. But I can't even find the first note to start the game. The best thing I can say is that it's a small download and easy to delete.
    theres a good sized dead tree.. from what it sounds like the first page usually hanging out on the tree or around it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just played it, I got 4/8 pages before he found me.
    I've played a few first person horror games.

I admit, it got my heart pumping and he did scare me!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Slender? No, forget that garbage.

You know about SCP? Educate yourself: http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/

Then play this: http://scpcb.wordpress.com/

You're welcome.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Even if you beat slender and find all the pages you still get caught and die, I wouldn't bother with it.

Oh, <spoiler alert>.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Play Amnesia: the Dark Descent. It's actually a game.

Though to be fair, for a freebie, it's a fun ten minutes or so.

Also, JSoup is correct. The games coming out of the SCP group are great, and have a bit more polish than Slender. The staircase is creepy every time you play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

It should also be pointed out that the game isn't even finished yet. There was no official website and it went viral before the developer was ready.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    It should also be pointed out that the game isn't even finished yet. There was no official website and it went viral before the developer was ready.
    that makes sense... I mean for instance if you pause the game you can't unpause it (or atleast not on my computer) you just restart it

Some computers i seen videos of the game close the application all together when you die. Mine it just you die wanna try again?

the different graphic settings do nothing the options theres nothing. theres also a load game on the menu so i wonder if they had the idea of maybe making this game alot longer then a simple romp through a 500 yards x 500 yards playing field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    that makes sense... I mean for instance if you pause the game you can't unpause it (or atleast not on my computer) you just restart it

Some computers i seen videos of the game close the application all together when you die. Mine it just you die wanna try again?

the different graphic settings do nothing the options theres nothing. theres also a load game on the menu so i wonder if they had the idea of maybe making this game alot longer then a simple romp through a 500 yards x 500 yards playing field.
    I don't really know much about the game. But I am a member/lurker of the forum for the game engine they're using and he seemed to be pretty surprised by the amount of attention the game is getting, especially when it's still a WIP.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Well thanks to the game amnesia which this game follows on some levels i think there is a new demand for that ultimate fear of being chased by something and having no way to stop it. all you can do is either hide or run away. This plays that fear of the woods. You don't know whats out there at night. For all you know there could be a bear or something right there waiting to maul you. or in this case a evil spirit or creature

another similar fear is being in the middle of the ocean all by yourself you don't know whats swimming around you below you or anything. Your just sitting bait

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that Amnesia is very good if you're looking for a horror FP Adventure.