Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Top 5 Favorite New IP/Franchises This Generation(7th) Of Consoles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your Top 5 Favorite New IP/Franchises This Generation(7th) Of Consoles

Notice that I said new "IP/Franchises" and not "new games". Why? Because I don't want to see a bunch of established franchises from previous gens, otherwise I would have just titled it "favorite games this generation". Anyway, we are now in year 7 of this generation and theres most likely no more than two years left before all the new systems will be released. So now that this generation is just about over I want to know what have been your favorite new franchises. Every week someone is complaining that nothing new has come out this generation and the only things we get are sequels and fps/rpg hybrids. Well we do get alot of sequels, which has been true for every generation going way back to the Nes(3rd) generation. But theres also been a wealth of new IP every gen and this one is no different. So I'd like you to list your top 5 new IP/Franchises this generation. And I haven't forgotten about my PC brethren either. But first a few rules:

-New IP/Franchise means the game has had no previous entrys in any previous generations
    -No direct spin-offs(such as FF XIII-2, Modern Warfare, etc)
    -Any new IP from the 360, PS3 or Wii is fair game
    -For handhelds, any game that was released on the DS systems(DS, DSi, DSi XL, etc) or PSP systems(1000, 2000, 3000, Go) are ok but the 3DS and Vita don't count because they are the newest generation of handhelds
    -For PC any IP/Franchise that began/launched no earlier than November 22, 2005(when the 360 started this gen) is fair game
    -For tablets, mobile, browser and any other OS games, the same rules for PC apply to these as well

Lets get started.

5. The Gunstringer(Kinect): This is one of the few Kinect core games that actually works and it's alot of fun too. I was debating about rather to choose this game or Kinect Sports but as much as I like Kinect Sports it's still just a bunch of mini games. The Gunstringer has a dedicated story and intuitive controls that fit well and don't make you feel like a spasm having wildman while violently swinging your arms around. I suppose it helps that you can actually play it sitting down. It also serves as proof that core games can be done correctly on Kinect, although I don't think that most developers got that memo yet.

4. Split/Second(Multiplatform): My favorite racing game has always been Burnout 3. I suppose it was a combination of the gameplay, the online community thru XBL and of course, taking people out. But like most things in life, things can usually evolve for the best. I was always proud of the various ways I could take people out in B3, rather it was running them into an oncoming bus or rear-ending them to make them flip into the air and crash land violently. But in Split Second theres no need for all of that. Why ram your nemesis when you can drop an incoming 747 airplane on their head? Theres no need to push them into oncoming traffic when you can send a derailed train headed in their direction. Those are just a few of the ways you can take people out in Split Second. It also has a nice sense of speed, not quite as fast as what Burnout has but fast enough to remind you that you are in fact still playing a video game. And did I mention there were boss battles against helicopters? Sadly there will be no sequel because Disney closed the studio down and has pretty much shuttered the franchise. But maybe someday they will have enough sense to sell it to another worthwhile developer.

3. Gears of War (360): Microsoft has a way of attracting hardcore shooter franchises and this one nearly rivals the Halo series. I didn't even play thru the first Gears game until 2009, which is 3 years after it initially came out. But once I played it I was hooked. And the multiplayer? Theres nothing more satisfying than chainsawing a mofo in half. And the second game took things even further with the inclusion of Horde mode, a mode that has become standard in most action games now adays. The third game has Beast mode and while it's ok I wish they would expand upon it more since it doesn't last even half as long as Horde. Anyway, we will no doubt continue to get sequels for this franchise from now on but it all started here in the 7th generation of consoles.

2. 1 Vs 100(360): Riddle me this: If you created the first successful ad-supported free-to-play console game would you A) keep it going or B) shut it down after two seasons? There is a right answer and then theres Microsoft's answer. No matter what bullshit they came up with for their corporate statement there was absolutely no good reason they should have canceled this game. This game has such wide spread appeal and like Tetris it was adored by both casual and hardcore gamers. Plus, Microsoft seems pretty obsessed with ads these days. 1 vs 100 already had the perfect format for it: we got an ad after every 10 questions. I could live with that but apparently Microsoft couldn't. Anyway, this was absolutely one of my favorite games and I would make my schedule around the live shows and specialty themed shows. I was even lucky enough to be in the mob once. This game had so much going for it and it would have been another extremely good selling point for Microsoft with casual/family gamers and Kinect owners, although I'd still use a controller while playing it for obvious reasons. I hope that one day Microsoft sees the error of their ways and brings this back, even if they have to buy the entire copyright/trademark.

1. Alan Wake(360): What do Time Magazine and The 1 2 P have in common? Besides both being world renowned and envied by others they also both chose Alan Wake as their 2010 game of the year. And it definitely deserved it. Sure it's kind of a shooter/survivor horror hybrid, except that you can play most of the game without killing anyone. You of course have to fight the bosses but you get enough non-lethal weapons where you can avoid most confrontations if you like. But what I really liked is the story. The tv episode format was nice but I kept playing because I wanted to see what happened next. The music, atmosphere and characters all kept me coming back for more. And like the good suspense thriller that it was, the ending was not all-inclusive. The follow-up side story added to the fiction and uped the action but one day hopefully a true follow up will come and finish the storyline once and for all....or at the very least expand upon it.

Honorable Mention

Shadow Complex(XBLA)--a nice homage to Metroidvania games
    Heavy Rain(PS3)--a very unique game with an equally compelling intersecting story
    Kinect Sports(Kinect)--it was fun for what it was
    Stranglehold(Multiplatform)--it was Max Payne 3 before there was an official Max Payne 3
    Crash Course(XBLA)--pretty much Ninja Warrior without the license and with avatars
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 08-03-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No particular order...

L.A. Noire - Not perfect, but still very enjoyable.
    World of Goo - Superb, addicting, and a great, dark sense of humor.
    Lost Winds (both games) - Motion controls done right.
    Batman: Arkham City - Not a huge Batman fan, but this game is just fantastic.
    Bonsai Barber - Simple, orgiastic gaming...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Batman: Arkham City - Not a huge Batman fan, but this game is just fantastic.
    Arkham Asylum and City wouldn't count because they are from the main Batman franchise which has had video games forever. This is also why I couldn't name Modern Warfare(despite being one of my favorite series this gen) because it exist in the Call of Duty franchise.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-26-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

This is Actually a lot harder then I though it would be as many of my favorites this gen were from already established IPs, however I'll give it a try. Great topic.

Anyways in no particular order:

Valkyrie Chronicles: Interesting Mix of genera with turn-based stragety, RPG and third person shooter elements that all work and art style, characters and storyline were all exceptional. Its a shame the platform switch to PSP made it unlikely to getting another fully fledged sequel on any platform.

Uncharted: Solid series of third person shooters with heavy story and platforming. Its the best example of the industries AAA push towards cinematic experiences in gaming (weather you like that or not) and with 2 and 3 a plethora of multiplayer modes that take advantage of the unique acrobatic combat style of the series.

The World Ends With You: An RPG on the DS that actually makes fun use of the DS's unique capabilities. Dosen't hurt that the characters, storyline, and urban setting all worked well and I REALLY wanna see another one.

Dead Nation: Top down shooter in the same vein as NES Commando during a zombie apocalypse. This game gave me the most fun co-op mode I've played this generation, the atmosphere, graphics, upgrade system, and country based stat tracking system makes me pine for another entry to the series with 4 player co-op. Would of never found out about it too if it weren't for the PSN outage. lol

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Series of very atmospheric FPS games set in the decaying ruins of the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. The most atmospheric game I've played and nothing has ever "sucked me in" like STALKER can, the game's suvival, bleeding, and gun mechanics (read: not every shot hits dead center reticle pending weapon type and condition) make it really a world onto itself that is easy to get lost in.

Special Mentions: (Mostly games that appeared on previous consoles but had a dramatic shift this generation..quite a few of those)

Killzone: Felt the first one on PS2 felt like it was too much for the console, however the two entries on PS3 have both been fantastic.
    Riddick: Wasn't a huge fan of the movies but both Escape from Butchers Bay and Dark Athena are some of my favorite FPS games this generation, played both on the Dark Athena disc.
    Persona 3/4: Although on the PS2 both were released in this timeframe and both were very different from their predecessors. Combination of dating/school sim/dungeon crawler/RPG mechanics somehow worked really well.
    Metal Gear Acid Series: Although the idea of a card based spinoff to the MGS series sounded dumb they were both really fun games early in the PSP lifespan. I always felt like most of the hate was directed at the idea rather then the games.
    Fallout 3/new Vegas: The IP was established in the mid nineties though both games couldn't play more differently to their predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Arkham Asylum and City wouldn't count because they are from the main Batman franchise which has had video games forever. This is also why I couldn't name Modern Warfare(despite being one of my favorite series this gen) because it exist in the Call of Duty franchise.
    I think its fair to include, since from my understanding they establish a completely different batman cannon to anything else released, and is not a sequel to any particular series. I think your argument is a sound one but I would let it slide here.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 07-27-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Special Mentions: (Mostly games that appeared on previous consoles but had a dramatic shift this generation..quite a few of those)

Killzone: Felt the first one on PS2 felt like it was too much for the console, however the two entries on PS3 have both been fantastic.
    Riddick: Wasn't a huge fan of the movies but both Escape from Butchers Bay and Dark Athena are some of my favorite FPS games this generation, played both on the Dark Athena disc.
    Persona 3/4: Although on the PS2 both were released in this timeframe and both were very different from their predecessors. Combination of dating/school sim/dungeon crawler/RPG mechanics somehow worked really well.
    Metal Gear Acid Series: Although the idea of a card based spinoff to the MGS series sounded dumb they were both really fun games early in the PSP lifespan. I always felt like most of the hate was directed at the idea rather then the games.
    Fallout 3/new Vegas: The IP was established in the mid nineties though both games couldn't play more differently to their predecessors.
    Like you said all of those games are from existing franchises from previous generations and thus are all exempt.

I think its fair to include, since from my understanding they establish a completely different batman cannon to anything else released, and is not a sequel to any particular series. I think your argument is a sound one but I would let it slide here.
    Although Arkham is a new franchise(I believe Arkham World will be the next title) this gen it's based on an existing franchise and thus doesn't apply to the structure of this list. I should probably change the word "new" to "original" in the title to not confuse anyone. But you obviously know what I mean because your list of 5 fits the parameters perfectly and I enjoyed reading your reasons for why you like each one.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-27-2012 at 06:26 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

1) Valkyria Chronicles
    2) Dead/Demon's Souls
    3) Assassin's Creed
    4) Uncharted
    5) Dead Space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really haven't sample too many new franchises from this generation. But of those I have, these were definitely some of my favorites:

Deadrising
    Dragon Age (2nd one was a let down though)
    Assassin's Creed
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

New franchises I enjoy:
    Saints Row
    No More Heroes
    Dead Rising
    Crackdown
    Rock Band

Single games I wish actually became franchises:
    Dark Sector
    Blue Dragon, in the sense of more home console games. The handheld ones are a lot less interesting.
    The Saboteur
    Deadly Premonition, although they are supposedly making a remake and prequel or something eventually for it.
    Alpha Squad

This is a pretty interesting topic, do we have similar threads for other generations? Could be neat to think about.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brutal Legend
    Dead Rising
    STALKER
    Crack Down
    Deadly Premonition

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well since one of my 5 got shat on (though I think it still counts...) I'll add another:

Shoot 1Up - Great concept for the shmup genre.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SUPERSMASHSNAKE
    PSN
    shust89

Default For me its

Bioshock
    Uncharted
    Portal
    Resistance
    Gears of War

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

1. - Bayonetta
    2. - Arkham Series (I know, you said no Batman, and while there have been "Batman" games before, the "Arkham" series IMO stands on its own as an IP)
    3. - Uncharted
    4. - Bioshock (yeah, I know, System Shock could technically disqualify this, but I feel compelled to rank it none the less)
    5. - Mod Nation Racers
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-27-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Just Cause
    Uncharted
    Infamous
    Dead Space
    Mass Effect

...likely more I can't think of right now.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Like you said all of those games are from existing franchises from previous generations and thus are all exempt.

Although Arkham is a new franchise(I believe Arkham World will be the next title) this gen it's based on an existing franchise and thus doesn't apply to the structure of this list. I should probably change the word "new" to "original" in the title to not confuse anyone. But you obviously know what I mean because your list of 5 fits the parameters perfectly and I enjoyed reading your reasons for why you like each one.
    Like I said its your thread.

There are a ton of franchises I would like to play from this generation but either havent gotten around to or have been too expensive to interest me at the time of release, things like Bayonetta, Catherine, Assassins Creed, EDF, Dark Siders, Binary Domain, World in Conflict, etc. However in the spirit of this thread i'll revise my honorable mentions list.

Honerable Mentions:
    Borderlands: Diablo-style loot grinding with FPS shooter gameplay and RPG. Only held back by a cock-tease ending and crap performance on PS3 with more then two players. (at least in my case)
    Mirrors Edge: Linear FPS with emphasis on parkour-style platforming. It had a fun gamepley mechanic that was held back by the linear nature of the game, think it would work much better in an openworld or at least multiple offer multiple paths.
    Sins of a Solar Empire: A space based 4x style strategy game. It did everything really well in a modern release and want to see more of it in this now nich genera.
    Resistance: A series of corridor based FPS games. The artstyle and setting of this series is both really good with the Chimera looking truly alien in the 50's era world they created. Holds over a lot of older FPS conventions with a combination health pack and regen system in the first and third title while also allowing you to carry all of the weapons in the game at once, again in the first and third titles. Can't help but think that something is always holding the series back from being great though I can't put my finger on it.
    DEFCON: A nuclear war simulator/strategy game. It managed to shock me in the way that only the original Missile Command did as a child. There is nothing quite like reaching the end of the game, watching the missiles arc, and seeing the while flashes while the death tolls start to pop up over major population centers. Its both fun to play and very depressing at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Loads of great franchises mentioned so far, here's my top 5-

Mirror's Edge- amazed this has only come up once so far. Both in this thread and in number of games. A great concept, unique gameplay and a sympathetic main character are very rare nowadays. On the subject...

Uncharted- gameplay from tomb raider, concept from Indiana jones and a dick of a main character. And yet, the games are some of the most exciting I've played over the last five years. Too many games aspire to be cinematic at the cost of gameplay, uncharted is one of very few that achieve it.

Bioshock- obviously.

Mass effect- obviously. Again.

And finally... Littlebigplanet. Any place that rewards and encourages creativity... With the voice of Stephen Fry... Is a place I want to be.

Oh, and if it counts, portal trumps any of the above.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I might edit this next month, as Sleeping Dogs, despite being known previously as True Crime Hong Kong, is technically a new IP and an amazing looking game.

Uncharted. Takes the base Tomb Raider gameplay and perfects it. Faster paced and more character control makes for a far enjoyable experience. Each game in the series has an extremely well done cover based shooting system, even while traversing the environments, as well as an excellent Indiana Jones esque storyline with likeable characters both ally and enemy alike.

Army of Two. Now I've only played the second game in the series, but damn if it isn't easily the best third person shooter I've ever played. While I do like Uncharted better overall, this due to the inclusion of the storyline, Tomb Raider style gameplay, as well as the shooting, the shooting experience in Army of Two the 40th Day is better in my opinion than in any other game. Sorry Vanquish fans, but Vanquish, even though a good game and all, doesn't get my vote as best shooter.

Mirror's Edge. Sadly, I suck at this game, but that doesn't change the fact that it's one of my favorite games this generation.

Sacred Specifically, Sacred 2. My favorite Diablo clone by far, and to me, just as good as Diablo 2.

Demon's Souls And Dark Souls, but stat balancing issues,such as defense not doing a damn thing or certain attack types being far more effective than others, and the more grindy aspect of the game(to upgrade weapons and make them actually useful,) make Demon's Souls a far better game.

-
    Lords of Shadow. Technically this is Castlevania, but it's in the Castlevania Lords of Shadow line of the series, so I see this as a new IP. Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 coming out for PS360/Vita and 3DS. I'd replace this with Demon's Souls but technically it's not a new franchise, so I'm listing this along with other good new IPs that don't quite make it into my top five.
    Dante's Inferno
    Darksiders
    Dead Space
    Dragon Age
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    The Saboteur
    Saints Row
    Stranglehold
    Arkham Series
    Infamous
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Gears of War
    Vanquish
    and White Knight Chronicles
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-27-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I gave some honest thought to this topic, and I was surprised that I couldn't come up with a single franchise, even after skimming my game collection list. I guess it's a reflection of how little interest I have in modern games and how few new IPs are made these days. That's not to say that I haven't played any new IPs this generation, but none have come close to impressing me enough to put on a list of favorites. All of the titles I have really liked this generation are from established franchises (although some are from very long abandoned franchises, like Giana Sisters DS and Solatorobo). I've noticed that most of the franchises listed are Western too, so considering I gravitate toward Japanese games, maybe that's part of my problem. Maybe Japanese developers are playing it safe with established franchises more than Western developers. Well, anyway, sorry I'm cluttering up this topic with a response that doesn't answer the question. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    2. - Arkham Series (I know, you said no Batman, and while there have been "Batman" games before, the "Arkham" series IMO stands on its own as an IP)
    Exempt for the reasons already mentioned. I'm basically trying to prove that this gen has created it's own identity based off of new IP/franchises. Yes Arkham is a new franchise for Batman but it's still another Batman series.

4. - Bioshock (yeah, I know, System Shock could technically disqualify this, but I feel compelled to rank it none the less)
    Now this is a good one because it lets me expand on my meaning of no direct spin-offs/sequels. In Ken Levine's own words this game is only a "spirual successor" to the System Shock games and thus it's fair game. Another example would be Perfect Dark from the 5th gen. It was a spiritual successor to Goldeneye but not a direct sequel and existed in it's own world.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Lords of Shadow. Technically this is Castlevania, but it's in the Castlevania Lords of Shadow line of the series, so I see this as a new IP. Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 coming out for PS360/Vita and 3DS. I'd replace this with Demon's Souls but technically it's not a new franchise, so I'm listing this along with other good new IPs that don't quite make it into my top five.
    Like Arkham this is a new franchise for an already existing bigger franchise in Castlevania and thus is exempt. But you already knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I gave some honest thought to this topic, and I was surprised that I couldn't come up with a single franchise, even after skimming my game collection list. I guess it's a reflection of how little interest I have in modern games and how few new IPs are made these days.
    If you mean that few new IP's are coming out in the final two years of this generation then yes I agree with you. But as far as this generation as a whole is concerned we have had a ton of new IP and this thread hasn't even scratched the surface yet. Nobody has even mentioned any mobile, tablet or OS games yet and theres been very few handheld and PC offerings.

I knew that this topic would be tough for some of us because we are so use to our established properties from playing them over the years. But as much as I love my Halo's, Modern Warfare's, Burnout's and so on, I have also enjoyed a ton of new games this generation. And this thread is a celebration of those new IP's and proof that sequels are not the only thing that get released. Plus it's making some of you really think about your answers and that usually inspires creativity....or something like that.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-27-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

In terms of modern gaming, I'd say I actually put more effort into discovering fresh new concepts and niche titles than in sticking with the old standbys (I haven't even played the recent games in series like Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.), but I'm finding very little to take interest in and less yet in terms of games that I'm really impressed by. New IPs are out there, but big budget "AAA"-type games aren't my cup of tea and, relatively speaking, there are definitely fewer new IPs than in past generations (on the traditional handhelds and consoles at least; couldn't care less about mobile gaming). I've had high hopes from some new IPs this gen (Infinite Undiscovery, Resonance of Fate, Otomedius Excellent, etc.), but I've felt fairly lukewarm about them at best. Even if I compare it to the 6th generation, which is by no means my favorite, this one still falls way short. The previous generation brought us Katamari Damacy, Pikmin, Baten Kaitos, Super Monkey Ball, Chulip, Shepherd's Crossing, Yakuza, etc. Lots of creative new ideas and quirky niche titles.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 07-27-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

But as far as this generation as a whole is concerned we have had a ton of new IP and this thread hasn't even scratched the surface yet. Nobody has even mentioned any mobile, tablet or OS games yet and theres been very few handheld and PC offerings.
    Not in my favorites, but I was going to list a few new IPs for handhelds, but not sure if this was exclusively for consoles or not. I think it'd probably be best to leave handhelds and consoles seperate in that regard, because I know that as many great handheld games, there aren't any that will beat out a top five for consoles.

Good new handheld IPs though.

Retro Game Challenge
    Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits
    Jump Super Stars/Jump Ultimate Stars
    Nostalgia
    Brave Story
    Pursuit Force
    Prinny
    (the best platformers that have came out in a long time. There are none that compare in my opinion.)
    Half Minute Hero
    Jeanne Darc
    Valkyria Chronicles

My five favorite new IPs for handheld would be Prinny, Retro Game Challenge, Half Minute Hero, Brave Story, and Pursuit Force.

The Badman games look interesting but I've yet to play them. There are a lot of other games I've yet to play, and like The 1 2 P has stated, I probably haven't played some really good ones. Media.Vision makes iphone/ipad games for Square Enix, and they're one of my favorite developers, but while I don't own either an iphone or an ipad, I won't be playing those games.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-27-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.