Valkyrie Profile started on PS1.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Valkyrie Profile started on PS1.
    Thanks for the heads up. I meant Valkyria Chronicles. Accidentally put Valkyrie Profile. The game is garbage in my opinion anyways.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-27-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Not in my favorites
    I'm not interested in random list. I'd rather see people's favorites so that I know they are games they actually played thru and enjoyed. Thats why I kept it at a nice low number(5) but I still had enough for honorable mentions.

but not sure if this was exclusively for consoles or not. I think it'd probably be best to leave handhelds and consoles seperate in that regard, because I know that as many great handheld games, there aren't any that will beat out a top five for consoles.
    The reason why only consoles is in the title is because consoles are the only ones in the 7th gen. But I know that some people don't even play console games(for instance some people only play PC games) and I didn't want to leave anyone out. I have never even played a tablet or OS game but there are some people that play them and I of course didn't want to leave any gamers out, provided the games that are their favorites came out no earlier than when the 360 launched and started this generation.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-27-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

The only two I can think of that haven't been posted yet are Alpha Protocol and Dead Island.

The Saboteur
    Alpha Protocol
    LA Noire
    Assassin's Creed
    Dead Island

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

1.) Bayonetta

Good god, if only all Sega games were this well designed and fun! Don't know if there will be a sequel, but won't be disappointed if there is. This game brings out a bit of my fanboy and it may not be for everyone, but this is the closest Sega has been to being "Sega" in a long time, if not a bit odd, lol. Not sure if it brings out the good or bad in me, but I love it! Non stop climax ftw!

2.) Uncharted

The first game wasn't designed so great, but the second and third ones were perfected. Taking video gaming and cinematic entertainment and mixing them together seemlessly.

3.) Demons/Dark Souls

Bringing the dungeon crawler type experience back with a modern flare. So atmospheric and moody, and......challenging. A true core gaming experience.

4.) Lost Planet

I may be in a bit of a minority here, but I love this franchise. I have torn the first and second game apart and loved every minute of it. It lacks depth in story and overall is only what you make of it by playing the harder difficulties and unlocking the content, but the action is nothing short of a "Contra" clone, pure in your face blow the hell out of shit action, done VERY well. Makes the heart pump.

5.) Minecraft

Obviously. No explanation needed. A true trendsetter for this generation. Single handedly has managed to make games creative again and has gotten the wheel rolling in general for pushing gaming forward in new directions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    The only two I can think of that haven't been posted yet are Alpha Protocol and Dead Island.
    It doesn't matter if they have already been posted or not. This is not a "list" thread where we are just listing all the new IP's for the sake of listing new IP's. This is a "list YOUR top 5 favorite new IP" thread. I don't care if your top 5 has already been listed twice or more by other members. If they are your favorite new IP then you deserve to list them as well. Thats why Uncharted has already been mentioned several times.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-27-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine would be Bullet Witch, Golden Axe Beast Rider, doh, wait that was supposed to be a franchise revive wasn't it. Well, I don't like anything this generation then, though I did get the first Gears of War and play through the second. Fruit Ninja Kinect is good for some pick up and play kinesthetics.

Thought of some more, the Batman Arkham games and Darksiders are good. I really enjoy Iron Man on 360 as well.
    Last edited by sheath; 07-28-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I gave some honest thought to this topic, and I was surprised that I couldn't come up with a single franchise, even after skimming my game collection list. I guess it's a reflection of how little interest I have in modern games and how few new IPs are made these days. That's not to say that I haven't played any new IPs this generation, but none have come close to impressing me enough to put on a list of favorites. All of the titles I have really liked this generation are from established franchises (although some are from very long abandoned franchises, like Giana Sisters DS and Solatorobo). I've noticed that most of the franchises listed are Western too, so considering I gravitate toward Japanese games, maybe that's part of my problem. Maybe Japanese developers are playing it safe with established franchises more than Western developers. Well, anyway, sorry I'm cluttering up this topic with a response that doesn't answer the question. :P
    Although entitled to your opinion I find it hard to believe unless you played very little this generation.

What genera are you most interested in?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have played fairly little this generation, I admitted to that, but I figured I had played enough to at least come up with a few new franchises that I liked and was surprised I couldn't. I mostly play RPGs, platformers, adventure games (a la Zelda), and other various Japanese-developed games.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It is hard to think of new franchises I enjoy for current systems. I mostly play on the DS for new consoles so I was going to mention Phoenix Wright but that's really a remake of an older GBA game so it doesn't count. I guess there's Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk though the sequels never came out here and the developer is now out of business. There's Touch Detective too but with these three games I've only played the first game in each series so I can't really comment on the series as a whole, and these series only have two games each so they're not really like a franchise where you expect more sequels in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

1) The Walking Dead.
    I know this is based on another property, but it seems to fit the criteria. Holy crap this game is good.

2) Bayonetta
    I actually thought i'd be the first one to mention this. I'm glad I wasn't. I don't generally like crazy weird Japanese games, but this was an exception.

3) Gears of War
    I like shooters, and these were good shooters.

4) Alan Wake
    Hell yeah. Great story. I hope there's a sequel.

5) Puzzle Quest
    One of the most addictive games I've played in a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uncharted
    Infamous
    Resistance
    LittleBigPlanet
    Gears of War

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Demon's & Dark Souls. #1 in my book. It had it all. Great concept that can call it's own. Excellent balance. Weighted decisions. Challenging gameplay. And victory is deliciously rewarding. A true modern video game, imo.

Child of Eden. What depth Demon's Souls had in the gameplay department, Child of Eden matched in imagination. Bought on Move for $40 and wasn't disappointed one bit. First thing I buy when getting a Kinect.

Trauma Center. Leave it to a niche Japanese company like Atlus to turn a mundane, thankless career into a great, innovative series that fully-utilizing DS touch screen capabilities with a slush of supernatural, occult sci-fi flavor thrown in for good measure.

No More Heroes. You play as a sex-crazed sociopathic killer-otaku taking out the top ten assassins with your lightsaber of death that includes decapitating your long-lost sister in order to get in the pants of a equally-crazy hot French-accent party girl whose married to your long-lost brother with child....and you save games on the toilet. On the Wii.

Professor Layton. I'm surprised I'm the first one mentioning it seeing as there's 4 games out on DS already and a 5th coming soon to 3DS plus the Layton x Phoenix Wright crossover along the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    1) The Walking Dead.
    I know this is based on another property, but it seems to fit the criteria.
    It does fit. It's the first Walking Dead video game and thus it's a new IP for this generation. The reason why the Arkham games didn't work wasn't because they are based on the larger Batman IP but because they are also part of the overall Batman video game franchise, which has been going strong long before this gen even started.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

Dead Space - This series has really taken over the Survival Horror genre for me. The eerie settings of the Ishimura, the plot line that constantly has you questioning Isaac's sanity, and the solid gameplay make this one a big winner for me.

Mass Effect - What's to say that hasn't already been said? Compelling story arc, interesting characters, solid writing, and even a great multiplayer component in the third installment. There are few games where I am excited to pick up all the DLC, but this is one of them.

Dante's Inferno - This game took everything I enjoyed about God of War and added an interesting story line. The fighting was excellent, and the power up system worked great.

Borderlands - How do you take an average FPS and make it great? Look no farther then Borderlands. The writing was humorous, the gun loot took me back to my feelings of PSO, and you get a sprinkling of RPG leveling thrown in to boot. It made it fun to play online with friends.

No More Heroes - Suda51's games are always interesting to say the least. The ridiculous story line and good controls (a real surprise for a Wii title) made me a big fan. Both of the games are not to be missed.

Honorable mentions:
    Bayonetta
    Crackdown
    Rock Band

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wii Sports Resort

Yeah, that's all I could think of..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I knew that this topic would be tough for some of us because we are so use to our established properties from playing them over the years. But as much as I love my Halo's, Modern Warfare's, Burnout's and so on, I have also enjoyed a ton of new games this generation. And this thread is a celebration of those new IP's and proof that sequels are not the only thing that get released. Plus it's making some of you really think about your answers and that usually inspires creativity....or something like that.
    Who is under the impression that no new IPs are released? When I lament about the scarcity of new games I'm usually referring to the lack of truly new experiences. Most of the "new" IP listed in this thread have a lot in common with old IP. I realize it's no easy task to come up with something purely original these days, but if I'm going to celebrate "new" IP the developer better deliver some sort of fresh experience. Regardless, some good games have been mentioned so far, carry on.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I have played fairly little this generation, I admitted to that, but I figured I had played enough to at least come up with a few new franchises that I liked and was surprised I couldn't. I mostly play RPGs, platformers, adventure games (a la Zelda), and other various Japanese-developed games.
    I can understand it in that case as its a pretty narrow margin and even then those genera have either largely stagnated or best titles have been entries in other series.

I still think their have been notable examples of what you like on handhelds however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Who is under the impression that no new IPs are released?
    Those are random complaints I have been hearing over the last several years of this generation, along with the assertion that only sequels and fps/rpg hybrids get released. Obviously it's nothing but a big sweeping generalization but some people seem to think theres some truth to it.

When I lament about the scarcity of new games I'm usually referring to the lack of truly new experiences. Most of the "new" IP listed in this thread have a lot in common with old IP.
    While this may be true you can say the samething about pretty much any medium. Was there any music that came out the last few years that was completely different from the previous 80 years? Any new books that came out that needed to be read differently than the books from 50 years ago? Samething with movies because 3D is nothing new.

I realize it's no easy task to come up with something purely original these days, but if I'm going to celebrate "new" IP the developer better deliver some sort of fresh experience.
    What exactly do you mean by fresh experiences? We've gotten motion controls on consoles, touch controls on portables and voice command controls with Kinect. 1 vs 100 was unique in that it was the first ad-supported free to play console MMO, having anywhere from 50,000-200,000 people in the same game during the beta season. But beyond those I'm still not sure what you mean by fresh experiences. If you have played video games for a decade or longer you can eventually lump everything into an already existing category gameplay wise.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While this may be true you can say the samething about pretty much any medium. Was there any music that came out the last few years that was completely different from the previous 80 years? Any new books that came out that needed to be read differently than the books from 50 years ago? Samething with movies because 3D is nothing new.
    I'm not debating it extends beyond videogames, but I don't know that I'd necessarily celebrate the "same old thing" either.

What exactly do you mean by fresh experiences? We've gotten motion controls on consoles, touch controls on portables and voice command controls with Kinect. 1 vs 100 was unique in that it was the first ad-supported free to play console MMO, having anywhere from 50,000-200,000 people in the same game during the beta season. But beyond those I'm still not sure what you mean by fresh experiences. If you have played video games for a decade or longer you can eventually lump everything into an already existing category gameplay wise.
    It really depends on the game and your perspective/expectations in terms of what's "fresh" or "innovative." Sometimes all it takes is a gameplay tweak in an established genre or new technology to give the "same old thing" a new coat of paint. Of the games listed in this thread Bayonetta and Child of Eden (w/Kinect) instantly spring to mind. There's really no rigid definition of what is or feels fresh. Hope that makes sense.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com