Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Top 5 Favorite New IP/Franchises This Generation(7th) Of Consoles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Child of Eden is a good example of a fresh experience based on something new. But for me personally all I need is for the game to be fun, even if similiar to something already in existence. And thats why I listed the games I listed in the first post. They are all new IP's(some similiar to existing IP's) but more importantly they are all very fun to play.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

-Phoenix Wright series (I count them because North America never got the GBA originals.)
    -Blackwell series (PC adventure games)
    -Portal series
    -Terraria
    -VVVVVV

Honorable Mentions
    -Bookworm Adventures series
    -Costume Quest
    -Chantelise
    -Cthulhu Saves the World
    -Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
    -SpaceChem
    -Stacking

And of course, Sonic Generations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    -Phoenix Wright series (I count them because North America never got the GBA originals.)
    Some of us play games that either never get released in our home country or don't get a release until a future console generation. Which means some of us did play Phoenix Wright games on GBA before the DS launched and so that series is exempt. As for Sonic Generations, you already know what I'm going to say.

While I acknowledge it was going to be a bit challenging I really didn't think it was going to be this difficult for some people to come up with a mere 5 original games that they liked during this generation. I guess some of you like your sequels more than anything else, which is ok. I still play and enjoy Halo games(among other established properties) but one of the best benefits of getting a new generation console IMO is the new games that will come with it.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 08-01-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke.Togo View Post
    Dead Space - This series has really taken over the Survival Horror genre for me. The eerie settings of the Ishimura, the plot line that constantly has you questioning Isaac's sanity, and the solid gameplay make this one a big winner for me.

Borderlands - How do you take an average FPS and make it great? Look no farther then Borderlands. The writing was humorous, the gun loot took me back to my feelings of PSO, and you get a sprinkling of RPG leveling thrown in to boot. It made it fun to play online with friends.

Me too

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is there a reason you are applying so many restrictions to what people are contributing? Just because some character existed in a game that was never released here doesn't mean it's not a new IP to the American market. I also see no reason why the Arkham stuff shouldn't be considered a new IP. It's not like it shares any play mechanics, story or even themes of the much cheesier older Batman games. When I look back at my older console libraries, I don't dismiss a particular platform as less worthy simply because it has a great game that was unique to that platform or generation but which might share characters with an older game on a different generation platform. Frankly, game development has become much more expensive, so like the movie industry, developers and publishers are going with IPs that have a built-in fan base. That means more sequels and tie-ins to existing characters in other media. That doesn't make the games have any less potential to be great or make this a less worthy generation. I mean one of your was 1 vs. 100 which is a game show, so it's not really a new IP, it's simply something that has been adapted from another platform. Split/Second stars a bunch of cars and is like the tenth or so racing game Blackrock did before being shut down. I'm not seeing how that qualifies as a new IP while some of the others suggested would not.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Some of us play games that either never get released in our home country or don't get a release until a future console generation. Which means some of us did play Phoenix Wright games on GBA before the DS launched and so that series is exempt. As for Sonic Generations, you already know what I'm going to say.

While I acknowledge it was going to be a bit challenging I really didn't think it was going to be this difficult for some people to come up with a mere 5 original games that they liked during this generation. I guess some of you like your sequels more than anything else, which is ok. I still play and enjoy Halo games(among other established properties) but one of the best benefits of getting a new generation console IMO is the new games that will come with it.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 08-01-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Is there a reason you are applying so many restrictions to what people are contributing?
    I was trying to overemphasize what I meant by "new" IP for games/gaming. Otherwise this might as well had been a "favorite games" thread, which isn't what I was going for. I also already explained several times in this thread why the Arkham games are exempt.

That means more sequels and tie-ins to existing characters in other media.
    I know that but it doesn't mean new IP(some that will turn into franchises like Gears of War and Uncharted) isn't still plentiful this generation. Same thing with movies: we get Saw 27 and also get new ones like Lockout, Haywire and Cloud Atlas.

I mean one of your was 1 vs. 100 which is a game show, so it's not really a new IP, it's simply something that has been adapted from another platform.
    Go read what I wrote in response to The Walking Dead game a few post above.

Split/Second stars a bunch of cars and is like the tenth or so racing game Blackrock did before being shut down. I'm not seeing how that qualifies as a new IP while some of the others suggested would not.
    Seriously? I really hope you weren't being serious with that response. Stars a bunch of cars? Um....yeah but most racing games do just that. And then you ask me how it qualifies as being a new IP? Sure, because Gran Turismo and Forza never had a first game starring a bunch of cars while becoming a new IP and eventually a franchise And this was obviously the first Split Second game, not the tenth. Like I said, I hope that wasn't a serious question on your part.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 08-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Which means some of us did play Phoenix Wright games on GBA before the DS launched and so that series is exempt.
    Well then, instead of that entry, I won't say Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (due to the shared "Ace Attorney" title, the appearances of Phoenix Wright despite him not being the protagonist, and the gameplay style) but I will say Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth for that place. That is because it is the start of a new franchise (though Apollo Justice was supposed to be too, here even the super-title is different), it stars a different character (ditto), it has new music and almost completely different art from the previous games, doesn't even mention Phoenix Wright's name, and has a different gameplay style. True, you still question/interrogate people and present evidence, but even that is a bit different and everything else is changed, and there is no need to play the previous games.

If both of those games don't count, just pick something from the numerous entries in my runners-up list.

As for Sonic Generations, you already know what I'm going to say.
    Just having fun with a little joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

alpha protocol: its not the best but its not mediorce either if you cant afford mass effect, play this instead.
    lost planet: it has a great story dispite the graphics looked like it was in the last gen. and people still do the online 5 years later.
    mindjack: it looks shinny and shit but it has some innovations by hacking outside the body
    dark void: the only thing going on this game is the defience of gravity.
    soul of dracula: its a fitting castlevania tribute but its orginal and free.
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was trying to overemphasize what I meant by "new" IP for games/gaming. Otherwise this might as well had been a "favorite games" thread, which isn't what I was going for. I also already explained several times in this thread why the Arkham games are exempt.

I know that but it doesn't mean new IP(some that will turn into franchises like Gears of War and Uncharted) isn't still plentiful this generation. Same thing with movies: we get Saw 27 and also get new ones like Lockout, Haywire and Cloud Atlas.

Go read what I wrote in response to The Walking Dead game a few post above.

Seriously? I really hope you weren't being serious with that response. Stars a bunch of cars? Um....yeah but most racing games do just that. And then you ask me how it qualifies as being a new IP? Sure, because Gran Turismo and Forza never had a first game starring a bunch of cars while becoming a new IP and eventually a franchise And this was obviously the first Split Second game, not the tenth. Like I said, I hope that wasn't a serious question on your part.
    Yes, and I simply disagree with how narrowly you are defining a "new IP". There is no connection between the older cartoonish Batman games and the Arkham games other than the physical appearance of the main character, a few biographical details and the physical appearance of some villains. The gameplay is completely different as is the realistic and edgy environment. Nobody thinks of the Arkham games as being sequels to any Batman games on other platforms, nor do they consider them to be part of the same series as earlier Batman games. Similarly, I don't think the fact that Split/Second stars a bunch of cars disqualifies it as being considered a new IP despite the fact that Blackrock used many of the same racing gameplay mechanics from its previous games. A new IP can include existing IP (hence things like 1 vs. 100 or Batman or licensed cars in racing games) and still qualify as a new IP for collecting or gaming purposes IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Well then, instead of that entry, I won't say Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (due to the shared "Ace Attorney" title, the appearances of Phoenix Wright despite him not being the protagonist, and the gameplay style) but I will say Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth for that place. That is because it is the start of a new franchise (though Apollo Justice was supposed to be too, here even the super-title is different), it stars a different character (ditto), it has new music and almost completely different art from the previous games, doesn't even mention Phoenix Wright's name, and has a different gameplay style. True, you still question/interrogate people and present evidence, but even that is a bit different and everything else is changed, and there is no need to play the previous games.
    I must say that you made a very compelling arguement for the inclusion of Miles Edgeworth. I even went and looked up the details and found out that it's an interquel, whatever that means. And although it exist in the Ace Attorney world it really is it's own game, starring a diffirent character, not mentioning PW and changing up the gameplay. I would use this as an example of how a game in the Batman universe could be considered a new IP. Like if Catwomen starred in her own game but in the same world(Gotham City of course) and there was no mention of Batman and it featured a new set of enemies. That would work...actually I think we got that game last gen based on the Catwoman movie. Anyway, the PW games are still exempt but the Miles Edgeworth game is allowed and a worthy substitute.

Yes, and I simply disagree with how narrowly you are defining a "new IP".
    Thats cool, you can disagree as much as you like. But I made the rules for a very specific reason and I have explained them several times already, including to you in my previous post.

There is no connection between the older cartoonish Batman games and the Arkham games other than the physical appearance of the main character, a few biographical details and the physical appearance of some villains. The gameplay is completely different as is the realistic and edgy environment. Nobody thinks of the Arkham games as being sequels to any Batman games on other platforms, nor do they consider them to be part of the same series as earlier Batman games. Similarly, I don't think the fact that Split/Second stars a bunch of cars disqualifies it as being considered a new IP despite the fact that Blackrock used many of the same racing gameplay mechanics from its previous games. A new IP can include existing IP (hence things like 1 vs. 100 or Batman or licensed cars in racing games) and still qualify as a new IP for collecting or gaming purposes IMHO.
    While I don't mind debating, discussing or explaining my reasoning for anything in this thread, everything in your quote has already been discussed and thoroughly explained on multiple occassions in multiple post. So basically you aren't bringing anything new or meaningful to the discussion. The only thing your two post have done is make me sound even more like a broken record for constantly repeating the same points. I did get a good chuckle out of the "games starring a bunch of cars can't be a new IP" comment but that was obviously unintentionally funny.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I must say that you made a very compelling arguement for the inclusion of Miles Edgeworth. I even went and looked up the details and found out that it's an interquel, whatever that means. And although it exist in the Ace Attorney world it really is it's own game, starring a diffirent character, not mentioning PW and changing up the gameplay. I would use this as an example of how a game in the Batman universe could be considered a new IP. Like if Catwomen starred in her own game but in the same world(Gotham City of course) and there was no mention of Batman and it featured a new set of enemies. That would work...actually I think we got that game last gen based on the Catwoman movie. Anyway, the PW games are still exempt but the Miles Edgeworth game is allowed and a worthy substitute.

Thats cool, you can disagree as much as you like. But I made the rules for a very specific reason and I have explained them several times already, including to you in my previous post.

While I don't mind debating, discussing or explaining my reasoning for anything in this thread, everything in your quote has already been discussed and thoroughly explained on multiple occassions in multiple post. So basically you aren't bringing anything new or meaningful to the discussion. The only thing your two post have done is make me sound even more like a broken record for constantly repeating the same points. I did get a good chuckle out of the "games starring a bunch of cars can't be a new IP" comment but that was obviously unintentionally funny.
    The fact that you can't see how you have created a completely arbitrary standard is both sad and funny. If I understand your argument above, if a game is set in the same universe as an existing IP, but features a new lead character and enemies, it's a whole new IP, even if the gameplay and everything else is identical to the IP from which it is an offshoot? What about games by NIS or Natsume where there was literally just a character swap grafted onto the same gameplay engine? Is each game a new IP or is it the same IP? Is the title of the game more or less important than the characters or do both have to be completely new to qualify?

I guess I come to it from the perspective of licensing and pursuing claims for infringement of IP on a regular basis and characters, artwork, names, gameplay and all sorts of other creative ideas have varying levels of protection. I guess I just don't think that simply because something uses an existing piece of IP that it can't in and of itself become something new. In fact, the whole concept of a transformative use was created to protect exactly that kind of creative expression. But, it's apparently your thread so I will just walk away and let it die like it was well on its way to doing, probably because people don't like participating in discussions that are too narrowly constricted by the OP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fact that you can't see how you have created a completely arbitrary standard is both sad and funny. If I understand your argument above, if a game is set in the same universe as an existing IP, but features a new lead character and enemies, it's a whole new IP, even if the gameplay and everything else is identical to the IP from which it is an offshoot? What about games by NIS or Natsume where there was literally just a character swap grafted onto the same gameplay engine? Is each game a new IP or is it the same IP? Is the title of the game more or less important than the characters or do both have to be completely new to qualify?

I guess I come to it from the perspective of licensing and pursuing claims for infringement of IP on a regular basis and characters, artwork, names, gameplay and all sorts of other creative ideas have varying levels of protection. I guess I just don't think that simply because something uses an existing piece of IP that it can't in and of itself become something new. In fact, the whole concept of a transformative use was created to protect exactly that kind of creative expression.
    And for the third time you have done nothing but complain about things that have been addressed several times already, showing that you either have a complete lack of reading comprehension skills or a lack of basic understanding. I think it's a mixture of both since theres not many other ways to explain it. You're like a child that thinks if he whines enough he will get his way. But you won't. And since you keep insisting that I baby you and hold your hand I'm going to point you to these threads here. You can go to those threads and list all the non-narrowly defined unrestricted games you want in threads so simple(such as favorite PS3 games, favorite rpgs, etc) that even you might get it right, although I have little to no faith.

But, it's apparently your thread so I will just walk
    If this turned out to be true it would be the first meaningful thing you've done in this thread, although the fact that it would be coming three post too late proves that it isn't true and you'll be back complaining about the samething again. And since you like repeating yourself so much I should point out that I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt but considering you are the dude that told me a racing game starring a bunch of cars can't be considered it's own IP simply because.......it stars a bunch of cars.......in a racing game, well I no longer put stock in anything you say.

Back on topic, I just switched out one of my honorable mentions and added Heavy Rain. I always thought the game looked interesting but wouldn't realize how interesting until I played it myself. It starts off extremely slow and could probably be considered more an interactive adventure than an actual game. While doing my first play thru I kept referring to it as Heavy Quick Time Event since thats what you'll be doing for atleast 70-90% of the game. It also has a wealth of ending that aren't simply triggered by saying "yes" or "no" at a certain point, but are dependent upon several key decisions you make thru out the game. I think the game did fairly well but considering theres only been one DLC chapter for it I think it's doubtful we'll ever get another one.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Fistful Of Diamonds Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    killingkirby

Mass Effect
    Gears' Of War
    Grand Theft Auto
    Metal Gear Solid
    Call Of Duty

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post
    They'll digest what they can and vomit up bones/undigestible parts on trees or ground. They said we should look for white puke spots on trees or ground nearby. I have better things to do than look for owl barf so, needless to say, I haven't been checking things out.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Doesn't this go against the no direct spin-offs from your first post? The Miles Edgeworth games are directly related to the previous Phoenix Wright games, most of the main characters involved in the new games are from those older games so it's not really a new franchise. Even just going by Wikipedia, it mentions there being 15 games in the Ace Attorney series and includes the Miles Edgeworth games as being a part of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbz View Post
    Mass Effect
    Gears' Of War
    Grand Theft Auto
    Metal Gear Solid
    Call Of Duty
    Three of those wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Doesn't this go against the no direct spin-offs from your first post? The Miles Edgeworth games are directly related to the previous Phoenix Wright games, most of the main characters involved in the new games are from those older games so it's not really a new franchise. Even just going by Wikipedia, it mentions there being 15 games in the Ace Attorney series and includes the Miles Edgeworth games as being a part of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney
    Yeah I was being very lenient with that one and also confusingly called them all Phoenix Wright games instead of Ace Attorney games. On wiki it says that the first Miles Edgeworth game is an interquel that takes places between two of the other Ace Attorney games but isn't directly related to them story wise, which was where I was getting that it wasn't a direct spin-off. Edgeworth is obviously in the first three AA games but beyond that are there any overlapping story elements between this game and those three? I was under the impression it was it's own stand-alone story from what I read on those wiki pages.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Yeah I was being very lenient with that one and also confusingly called them all Phoenix Wright games instead of Ace Attorney games. On wiki it says that the first Miles Edgeworth game is an interquel that takes places between two of the other Ace Attorney games but isn't directly related to them story wise, which was where I was getting that it wasn't a direct spin-off. Edgeworth is obviously in the first three AA games but beyond that are there any overlapping story elements between this game and those three? I was under the impression it was it's own stand-alone story from what I read on those wiki pages.
    Basically every game has separate stand alone stories, different cases featuring different people for the most part. There's some familiar people who show up as witnesses from previous games but it's not all that often, each case usually has different people involved besides the lawyers, police, and the judge. The Miles Edgeworth game takes place between the 3rd and 4th game in the regular series, between Trials and Tribulations and Apollo Justice. Apollo Justice takes place I think 7 years after Trials and Tribulations so they can fit in a lot between that time with these new games. With these new games you're prosecuting people instead of defending them.

It's like The Lion King 1 1/2, they made it after Lion King 2 but as it takes place before the second film they had to name it weird. In some countries Lion King 1 1/2 is actually named The Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata so interquels aren't really new IPs or franchises. Game wise, it's like Knuckles' Chaotix on the 32X which stars a different main character, introduces some new characters, and has slightly different gameplay. It's still considered a Sonic game by most people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    interquels aren't really new IPs or franchises.
    But theoretically they could be. For Miles Edgeworth it seems they made it an interquel just to determine where it fits in chronologically with all the other Ace Attorney games but they could have just made it a stand alone game outside of the AA timeline because it really isn't directly related to them, other than the main character appeared in a few of the original games. But like you said it's still a part of the AA games. I'm going to have to think on this one some more but right now I'm leaning toward your opinion of simply lumping it with the rest of the Ace Attorney games and thus not proclaiming it a new IP.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Insert Coin (Level 0) synbiosfan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    synbiosfan

Borderlands
    Bioshock
    Madworld
    RAGE
    Blue Dragon

I've only had my 360 about 6 months so I've got so many new IPs that I plan on playing. My list will be changing. I can't comment on PS3 games since I don't own a PS3...yet
    Diabetes Sucks!