Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is ebay in part to blame for higher retro game values?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There are a few on NA that do that 'brute force' purchasing, but it's a small minority. At least in respect to nabbing up a crap load of games at once with no regard to price. Usually on there you'll get people get a brute force pick up but where they've usually cut the seller fairly deep either with good negotiating tactics or luckily enough the other guy had no idea what they had(but anyone can do either.) There are a few annoying types I have seen, but it has been on solitary games, wanting to condition upgrade or get the best right out of the gate and damn the price, usually then in some cases to VGA the stuff to exponentially increase the value. Me I play stuff, affordable for me or not (off and on over the years) I refuse to go sealed. If I buy one I'll damn well open it and play it if it's something I want if the price is cheap, or if I'm tight I'll sell it and get a loose one and more with the funds.

ebay is in part to blame on topic though, but same can be said for craigslist too, kijiji and the rest. Enough thanks to amazon/ebay have been tipped off finding some games are worth a fortune, and they're too stupid/lazy to actually look deeper and think ALL games are worth their weight in gold and that makes it a problem for sure. I for one am patient. It could take me a week, month ,year...10years and I'll wait to get what I want as I'm not going to fall into the trap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ebay greatly increases supply, which inevitably lowers prices. However, the increased visibility and access to the global market allows greater demand, which raises prices.

The end result is probably relatively equal pricing, with or without Ebay.

It's difficult for me to say whether I would have a collection without Ebay. I certainly did not have what I would consider a "collection" before I started using Ebay. All of my games at that time were bought new at retail. I started buying games on Ebay in 2003. The last time I bought any used games from anywhere prior to that was a small, local video game shop, back when the PlayStation first hit. I can confidently say that without using Ebay, it would be virtually impossible for me to own many of the games I now own, although this is with the existence of Ebay. Maybe if online auction sites did not exist, there would be more abundance "in the wild", but I have a strong feeling that an Ebay-less world would simply have more games in the garbage, since people would not have an easy outlet for them!
    Last edited by Zing; 09-05-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I don't think ebay is really to blame or the cause of the high prices. Usually a re-seller will use ebay to determine what people are willing to pay across the country using the completed listings (or at least the more knowledgable sellers). Most of the sellers that use that method of pricing I would say are fair with pricing.

My opinion is that its these news articles about people selling thier collections for 1.2 mil or the stadium events news story from a year or two back. Those stories reach a wide variety of people who wouldn't normally have games on thier radar and would just think of them as obsolete electronics. Then you have all these auction shows like Storage Wars and such where video games are valued on national TV. Next thing you know the people who would normally sell thier collections for a steal of a price are looking up thier values and try to sell them for top dollar.

A year or two ago I could walk out of a flea market with boxes and bags full of games. Now I can't even get close to a table with games without hearing the seller going "this is the price because its extremely rare" or "on ebay blah blah blah". More people are collecting now than they were a year or two ago. I used to get a minimum of 1 good find a year, this year everything I've found has been ebay prices or higher with maybe a few exceptions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by furcointalk View Post
    i think they are- and a part of it has to do with expensive shipping costs, and the ebay / paypal monster with their blood sucking fees.

When guides value games by last known sales price- there is one thing we need to consider- Ebay encourages sellers to offer free shipping. Sellers don't eat the shipping costs, All they do is increase the asking price of the widget.
    If the price of shipping is rolled into the SMB /Duck hunt cart plus the paypal and ebay fees - the final sales price become an abomination of epic proportions.

check out my video blog on the topic and let me know what you think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85iGJN2qhoY

I think that its most definitely responsible for high gaming prices.

Every time you see a game up for sale on eBay for a large amount of money (like that Final Fantasy game in the past few weeks) there's going to be a hundred people who won't know why the asking price was so high and will therefore think that all Final Fantasy games are worth a ton. For most pawn and consignment shop owners and flea market vendors a games value is the highest price they've ever seen asked for it.

The way i look at it is ebay is doing nothing different then what physical auctions (estate, collector, or whatever).
    Except that on eBay whenever there's a bidding war and someone grossly over pays for a game a million people probably hear of it rather than a room for of people. The craziness with the NES black box games a few months back for example.
    Last edited by Griking; 09-08-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Double Ugly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The internet in general is the cause of the increased value of video games with eBay being a large factor in it. Without the internet most collectors wouldn't know that Stadium Events is rare & without eBay most merchants wouldn't know it is rare. Wide spread information on video games is what has caused the prices to go up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    It's difficult for me to say whether I would have a collection without Ebay.
    Depends on how long ago you started collecting. My Atari collection in 1992 was easily much larger than it is now since EVERYONE was dumping Atari systems and carts for pennies. This isn't hyperbole, I've actually bought Atari games by the garbage bag full, just from yardsales. I'd start the morning with an empty bag and have it pretty much full at the end of the day and the nice thing it wasn't just common games, but some rarities. Of course rarity and its subsequent value didn't mean anything back then.

Man, those were the days, you'll NEVER see that again.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Ugly View Post
    The internet in general is the cause of the increased value of video games with eBay being a large factor in it. Without the internet most collectors wouldn't know that Stadium Events is rare & without eBay most merchants wouldn't know it is rare. Wide spread information on video games is what has caused the prices to go up.
    Don't forget celebrity appeal. Retro games wouldn't me what they are today without the AVGN and other online reviewers bringing a second spotlight in the age of YT. Heck, Guardian Legend ran BINs no hire than $3 until Mike Matei called the #1 forgotten NES title in his video (which I wholeheartedly agree and eerily similar to my own) and now we got Ebay listing asking for $15+.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is filtering down to garage sales too. I was at one yesterday and a lady was asking $80.00 for 10 junky launch titles + mario 3. We're talking jeorardy and anticipation grade games here.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I don't have any strong opinion on console/portable game software, but I can say for certain that outrageously priced (Buy It Now) listings for Nintendo Game & Watch units have had an affect on the perceived value of those games by the collecting community.

What's unfortunate is that as those BIN listings sit there $100-$200 above what reasonable asking prices SHOULD be, unsold for YEARS in "eBay stores" they unwittingly become "reference" prices for new BINs and auction starting values/reserves for people not willing or smart enough to check history on completed auction values.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

eBay is just that guy at the mall (or flea market) who charges way more than what we consider true value to be.

The fact that some people buy from those guys doesn't drive prices up any more than someone buying a hammer from Home Depot (which I find to be expensive) instead of Canadian Tire (just a random example of somewhere I know I can get a better price) drives up the prices of hammers.

Some people are willing to pay more for their hammer at Home Depot, and some people are willing to pay more on eBay. The reasons for that are another story!
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end