Thread: Would you purchase a high-dollar multidisc game for cheap if it's missing a disc...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question Would you purchase a high-dollar multidisc game for cheap if it's missing a disc...

...in hopes of one day tracking down the missing disc (or discs)? Like say Panzer Dragoon Saga is being sold for 75 bucks because it's missing disc 3. Would you buy it for the cheaper price if you were in the market for that game in the hopes one day you'll find disc #3 for sale? There's always the chance you'll never find it, alone, but would you take the risk for a fraction of the normal asking price, and if so, what % cheaper would it have to be for you to bite?

Have you ever does this before? If so, did you ever find the missing disc(s) yet?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Only if it's dirt cheap or free, I barely want to spend more than $5 for complete games even if they're normally rare or expensive. Buying a loose disc most likely isn't going to be cheap, unless you're going to wait until you happen to come across a loose copy in person. But then you'd be just as likely to find a complete copy for cheap in person.

If someone really wants a decent amount for a game they should track down a replacement disc themself and then sell off their now complete copy, if they're selling it with a missing disc it should be really cheap. $75 would still be too much for Panzer Dragoon Saga if it's missing a disc, at least for me it would be.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree 100%. No way am I paying more than a few dollars and that would be to cover shipping. If the box and manual were included I could see paying more if they were in excellent shape. I would just save the $75 and purchase a complete copy or buy other games.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    $75 would still be too much for Panzer Dragoon Saga if it's missing a disc, at least for me it would be.
    I just picked $75 because I used to see individual PDS discs listed for $25 online (quite a few over the years, in fact). If you were buying the missing one rather than selling the remaining ones that would round it off to $100 for a complete copy which is better than it usually goes for. I've seen the manual and case sell for more than 50 bucks. I had to get a replacement case and manual for my copy in fact, but I got mine for less.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I just picked $75 because I used to see individual PDS discs listed for $25 online (quite a few over the years, in fact). If you were buying the missing one rather than selling the remaining ones that would round it off to $100 for a complete copy which is better than it usually goes for. I've seen the manual and case sell for more than 50 bucks. I had to get a replacement case and manual for my copy in fact, but I got mine for less.
    I guess it would still be worthwhile monetarily but I would still be reluctant to buy a copy for that much, unless I was just planning to flip it as is. It's getting harder to find spare discs unless you're willing to wait a long time for one to show up. Game prices could still change and copies might go down if this game manages to get a re-release, if you're stuck with a copy missing a disc you could lose money on it.

Even for DS systems I don't bother picking them up if they're missing the adapter or stylus unless they're cheap(like $5-$10), it's a pain to find the adapters and it's getting harder to find a replacement stylus. If you have an original DS, good luck finding a stylus for cheap. I still need an orignal stylus for a system I have, they're not being sold new in stores and used game stores usually don't seem to have any available.

I have a copy of Final Fantasy VII missing the first disc, I haven't found a spare disc locally yet and I've got this months ago. I'm not going to spend much on it as I've found complete copies for cheap in the past. I got this copy for free along with other PS1 games.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Years ago, I got a copy of Ark the Lad Collection for PS1 from Game Crazy among their 3/$10 games. (also got Game & Watch Gallery and Diddy Kong Racing just to get 3 games, and G&WG turned out to be a good choice as well )
    I didn't notice it was missing Ark III CD 2 until I got home. But at that price, I'd probably have bought it anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I would as I have even picked up cases for uncommon/rare games in the past because they were missing their disc, usually at Goodwill. But I only paid a couple dollars at most for the case. As for something like PDS, I would buy it if it were incomplete but only if it were a very reasonable price. Basically I wouldn't pay market price for anything that was missing a vital component. It would have to be cheap in order for me to purchase it incomplete.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

A good deal is a good deal. If I feel like what I'm buying is worth a decent amount more than what I'm paying, then I'm happy to buy it, even if it is missing something. In some cases I might be more inclined to flip it and buy a complete copy later on, though, if I feel seeking out the piece I'm missing isn't worth the effort or money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    A good deal is a good deal. If I feel like what I'm buying is worth a decent amount more than what I'm paying, then I'm happy to buy it, even if it is missing something. In some cases I might be more inclined to flip it and buy a complete copy later on, though, if I feel seeking out the piece I'm missing isn't worth the effort or money.
    This is my mindset as well, if it's relatively easy to match up a pair I'll do it, but other times it just makes more sense to sell the parts separate and put the funds toward a complete copy.

I picked up a great case for Ogre Battle from someone on the forums inexpensively because I knew a loose disc/manual combo would pop up eventually. It did and I got it at a great price, so the overall game set was much cheaper than I would have paid for a complete copy.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post

I picked up a great case for Ogre Battle from someone on the forums inexpensively because I knew a loose disc/manual combo would pop up eventually. It did and I got it at a great price, so the overall game set was much cheaper than I would have paid for a complete copy.
    Nice! Glad I could help you out with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Only if it's dirt cheap or free.
    This. This times a thousand.

I'd pay a few bucks for a loose example that's complete and working since I can just make a cover for it and it's more about the game than having the original box/case/packaging for me.