Thread: Looking for help finding a PSP Modded to Work With PS2 / PS3 Controller

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking for help finding a PSP Modded to Work With PS2 / PS3 Controller

I am looking for a PSP 1000-3000 (UMD capable - not a Go) that I can hook up to my TV and use a PS2 / PS3 controller with. I would like to be able to use my PSN account with it too so if it isn't hacked it would be preferable.

Any direct sales or leads on places to get one would be great.
    Last edited by backguard; 08-08-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Yes, PSP Go does all of the above without hacking. You can pair a PS3 controller to it for use with all games and it has video output.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But it doesn't have UMD which is what I need. I will make the first post more clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    But it doesn't have UMD which is what I need. I will make the first post more clear.
    Ah, well. No bluetooth control pairing on PSP 1000, 2000 or 3000, but there may have been advances in custom firmware on that front that I'm unaware of.

Hard-modding certainly a possibility as you could run wires from each button to a Dual Shock controller.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Bluetooth hardware is exclusive to Go.

Frankly more practical to pirate the games in this case. (can't say much else without breaking rules here)

Though I guess it might be possible for custom firmware to use a PS3 controller over USB? Haven't heard of that looked into...
    Lum fan.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The PSP is nearly a dead format. Piracy is extremely rampant on the system and finding places to download PSP games is as easy as finding places to download NES games. That's not to say, hey, go out and pirate. The games still currently sell. So either purchase a standard PSP, use custom firmware and rip the games yourself. Or just purchase the game and download an already pre ripped/patched game where someone else already did all the work for you. This is what I do.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Well yeah. Unfortunately UMD load times are bad enough even the vilest pirates want nothing to do with that format. I've never heard of success at acquiring or manufacturing a blank disc, or any means to write data on UMD.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you want to use a controller so badly, make sure you also get one of those PSP HDMI upscalers to go with whatever solution you go with. It will upscale the image for you to your HDTV's native resolution, make the output for games full screen, and it will be at the correct aspect ratio.

Everything the PSP's native tv/out support for PSP games can't do.

And I believe even when using custom firmware which does allow full screen output (Someone's bound to mention it after I suggest buying something to do the job), it comes at a performance hit even at full processing speed. And you'd be losing PSN access that way as well which is something you said you wanted.

So I prefer using one of these external devices.

Works well for my Go as well as my 3000 for UMD's like Resistance (Which can interface with a PS3 controller via WiFi to a PS3... something I always hoped they'd release a PS3 app for so we could do it with any PSP game).

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Bluetooth hardware is exclusive to Go.

Frankly more practical to pirate the games in this case. (can't say much else without breaking rules here)
    I thought the Go wasn't nearly as open as the earlier models?

I don't think it's as simple as spending thirty minutes installing custom firmware and then just pirating your games to enjoy BlueTooth controller support. But I'm no expert and maybe that's outdated information these days.

If he does go the Go route, they make excellent plastic cases for the PSP Go that will protect things like the screen while still having openings for the things that need one. While I doubt they'd be very nice to have if you actually wanted to use a Go as a handheld, they're excellent for basically turning one into a consolized PSP (Which is what I've done paired with that HDMI adapter and my old SixAxis PS3 gamepad; although I've limited myself to what's available on PSN) since you don't have to worry about things like scratching the screen leaving it in the open all the time.

Even though I have zero intentions to ever use my Go in the manner intended, it's nice to still protect it from scratches on the screen and such.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Though I guess it might be possible for custom firmware to use a PS3 controller over USB? Haven't heard of that looked into...
    I thought the PS3 controller only utilized USB for charging? I'm pretty sure that when you got it plugged in via USB into a PS3 that it's still communicating via BlueTooth and is just utilizing the USB connection for charging so you can keep on playing even with a low battery.

If he's going to hack a PSP, I would bet it would best be with a Dual Shock 1 or Dual Shock 2 since UMD equipped PSP's like he wants to stick with lack BlueTooth.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-08-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I don't know about on PS3.
    There is a PC driver hack I'm pretty sure doesn't use bluetooth.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post

I don't think it's as simple as spending thirty minutes installing custom firmware and then just pirating your games to enjoy BlueTooth controller support.
    I haven't done it myself (I have a 1000 with custom firmware for emulators, and I like, literally own every PSP game that I'm interested in playing these days) but I've looked around at PSP hacks sites to get a lay of the land as recently as last month and everything up to and including the PSP Go seems to have Lite Custom Firmware that will allow for temporary/non-permanent custom firmware that boots everything.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umds are so cheap these days plus you can resell them that I'd prefer to go that route. If I can't use PSN it isn't a huge deal, but like I said UMDs are so cheap that there really is no point in pirating. Plus I really want to play metal gear acid.

So there are some solutions out there. How do I go about getting this stuff...like the upscaler sounds cool too depending upon how bad the performance hit is. Where can you get that?

Psp as a console = sweet (hopefully!).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I decided to just get a Go.

I found the Go cradle so you can keep the system charging while using video out (it was a surprise to see that both video out and charging take up the same slot). got some component cables, an original psp ac adapter for the cradle. really easy to sync the ps3 controller.

awesome experience. playing dissidia ff now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Consider adding that upscaler I mentioned.

It works great, allows you to bypass your HDTV's internal scaler (Which for many sets often isn't up to the task), and most of all, it allows you to get full screen 16:9 output.

No more playing in a small window on your HDTV that isn't even at the correct aspect ratio (The proportions of a PSP pixel don't match the proportions of a pixel on a NTSC television which destroys the aspect ratio of PSP software on a tv since the PSP doesn't upscale PSP games).

Just too bad that UMD adapter that was rumored for a while by a 3rd party for the Go never came to fruition. It would've been the last step needed to really turn this into a consolized PSP. Toss in the Vita's ability to map the 4 face buttons to the PS3's right analog stick for PSP software and it would've been perfect.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-13-2012 at 01:44 AM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I thought the PS3 controller only utilized USB for charging? I'm pretty sure that when you got it plugged in via USB into a PS3 that it's still communicating via BlueTooth and is just utilizing the USB connection for charging so you can keep on playing even with a low battery.
    It's wireless 360 pads that only use USB for charging (w/a Play & Go kit). PS3 controllers definitely will send actual signals via USB. In some of the service menus it won't even allow you to use the controller wirelessly, you have to hook up the cord.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it's as simple as spending thirty minutes installing custom firmware and then just pirating your games to enjoy BlueTooth controller support. But I'm no expert and maybe that's outdated information these days.
    It honestly took me like 5 minutes to get CFW running on the Go, the newest version requires no "installing" and just reboots the system into custom mode. I've got piles of UMDs but I really only play the copies at this point since it's a better experience in my opinion.

Also, linking a SixAxis/DualShock 3 to a PSP Go is really easy if you've already got a PS3 since it can detect both of them an pair them easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    It honestly took me like 5 minutes to get CFW running on the Go, the newest version requires no "installing" and just reboots the system into custom mode.
    That's why I phrased it as a question. I don't keep myself updated on the homebrew PSP scene and wasn't entirely sure if I was providing accurate up to date information.

Also, linking a SixAxis/DualShock 3 to a PSP Go is really easy if you've already got a PS3 since it can detect both of them an pair them easily.
    My PSP Go's d-pad, analog nub, and buttons would like you to know that they've been barely used thanks to this capability, so their owner is well aware of that fact.

Makes me glad I picked up a SixAxis for ten bucks at Radio Shack when they were clearancing them out. Bought it for the possibility of local multiplayer on my PS3 (Something I don't think I've ever done on it). Has instead been perfect for the PSP Go.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-15-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

It honestly took me like 5 minutes to get CFW running on the Go, the newest version requires no "installing" and just reboots the system into custom mode. I've got piles of UMDs but I really only play the copies at this point since it's a better experience in my opinion.
    Ever since the signing keys got out into the wild, running CFWs and homebrew apps have been easier than ever. SNES9X Euphoria is a fully signed SNES emulator, no need to run custom anything. It took me about half an hour to gather everything to get my PSP back to m33 (M33 now, M33 forever!) from 6.20 with the plugins to run newer games.

Yes, running UMD ISOs from the card is a much better experience if you have the space. Much faster load times and everything's in your pocket ready to go.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!