Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitfall! is back and this time it's a great endless runner?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Pitfall! is back and this time it's a great endless runner?

Not sure if it was a coincidence that this game dropped for iOS the same week that David Crane announced his new unrelated Kickstarter project at CGE (and NO, I'm NOT REALLY posing a conspiracy theory) but Activision has dusted off the Pitfall! license once again and this time (and compared to some of the previous games carrying the title) I think they nailed it.

With a really beautiful color palette that's reminiscent of the classic Activision 2600 boxes (the classic Activision rainbow is featured prominently) a cool cel shading thing going on and a booming Indiana Jones/Uncharted type score playing while Pitfall Harry dashes through the jungle, they did a great job of paying homage to the classic as well as tapping into the ever popular "endless runner" genre (which unfortunately might be reaching critical mass in the market space).

So, If you like a good endless run and are willing to drop 99 cents for the universal app (full resolution on both iPad and iPhone/Touch) I think it's a safe bet that we're the demographic that Activision is looking to attract here. I say drop a buck and encourage them to revisit some more classics!

I'd kill for a good River Raid, Chopper Command, Keystone Kapers or Pressure Cooker re-imagining on App Store!

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

This is like a big FU to David Crane. Not buying! Or buying David Crane's game, then buying this afterward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    This is like a big FU to David Crane. Not buying! Or buying David Crane's game, then buying this afterward.
    That's a bit dramatic.

David wasn't involved in the production of any of the Pitfall! games after Pitfall! II: The Lost Caverns and he doesn't have the license to use the characters at the present time.

I don't recall any outrage when any of those games were released and there have been quite a few.

You don't have to buy this, and I think we should support his new game - but I hardly think that this new Pitfall! was developed with any malice in mind.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    That's a bit dramatic.

David wasn't involved in the production of any of the Pitfall! games after Pitfall! II: The Lost Caverns and he doesn't have the license to use the characters at the present time.

I don't recall any outrage when any of those games were released and there have been quite a few.

You don't have to buy this, and I think we should support his new game - but I hardly think that this new Pitfall! was developed with any malice in mind.
    Normally I would agree with you, but being released at around the same time? Reminds me of the XBLA game Grapple Buggy that was in the works that had many Blaster Master and Bionic Commando features, then Blaster Master Overdrive was announced, then suddenly no one gave a shit about it anymore. Grapple Buggy was never released. Could be just a coincidence, but it seems to be the same overshadowing scenario in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Normally I would agree with you, but being released at around the same time? Reminds me of the XBLA game Grapple Buggy that was in the works that had many Blaster Master and Bionic Commando features, then Blaster Master Overdrive was announced, then suddenly no one gave a shit about it anymore. Grapple Buggy was never released. Could be just a coincidence, but it seems to be the same overshadowing scenario in my opinion.
    Well, if you're worried about timing and public interest this game is out now and David's new project is currently being kick-started.

It's in PRE-pre-production so we won't see a playable product for quite some time if it does make its $900,000 Kickstarter goal. It's not like it's coming out next week or next month or this calendar year.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...le-adventure-0

I was really just being clever with my opening statement. I'm certain that it was just a coincidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I was excited when I first saw this in the app store, but then I saw it was yet another endless runner. What a bastardization of a classic. There are also in-app purchases of diamonds, what are those used for? Too many iOS games are depending on IAPs now, and I refuse to buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    ...There are also in-app purchases of diamonds, what are those used for? Too many iOS games are depending on IAPs now, and I refuse to buy them.
    The short answer is - nothing that would otherwise prevent you from enjoying the game and/or progressing/unlocking stuff if you refuse to buy them.

They're all optional and I never buy them in iOS games either. This is not a game that limits play sessions unless you buy IAP tokens, I can't stand that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure if it was a coincidence that this game dropped for iOS the same week that David Crane announced his new unrelated Kickstarter project at CGE (and NO, I'm NOT REALLY posing a conspiracy theory) but Activision has dusted off the Pitfall! license once again and this time (and compared to some of the previous games carrying the title) I think they nailed it.

With a really beautiful color palette that's reminiscent of the classic Activision 2600 boxes (the classic Activision rainbow is featured prominently) a cool cel shading thing going on and a booming Indiana Jones/Uncharted type score playing while Pitfall Harry dashes through the jungle, they did a great job of paying homage to the classic as well as tapping into the ever popular "endless runner" genre (which unfortunately might be reaching critical mass in the market space).

So, If you like a good endless run and are willing to drop 99 cents for the universal app (full resolution on both iPad and iPhone/Touch) I think it's a safe bet that we're the demographic that Activision is looking to attract here. I say drop a buck and encourage them to revisit some more classics!

I'd kill for a good River Raid, Chopper Command, Keystone Kapers or Pressure Cooker re-imagining on App Store!

Maybe I'm old school, but I can't play a game without a proper controller. Icade does not count. Motion or touch controls are always unwieldy and frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Maybe I'm old school, but I can't play a game without a proper controller. Icade does not count. Motion or touch controls are always unwieldy and frustrating.
    And, why does iCade "not count" as a "proper controller"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably because it's awkward, impractical, and just not that good.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Yeah, I was gonna say, it looks fun but I hope it gets a release on another platform as well, mostly because of the controller issue.

Regardless, this looks like a fun distraction! I'll check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The gameplay looks exactly like a game my buddy has on his Nexus 7 tablet. Regardless, I wish they'd put a bit more effort into Pitfall's return.

As for the comments about the iCade, I'm not sure why people think it sucks or isn't a proper controller. I'm baffled...
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    iCade is awkward and impractical?

Seriously? Are we all talking about the same thing?

It's a lag-free, wireless, traditional/classic style arcade controller designed with our set in mind.

For those grousing about not liking touch control, there's isn't a more practical device available for the system.

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    The gameplay looks exactly like a game my buddy has on his Nexus 7 tablet. Regardless, I wish they'd put a bit more effort into Pitfall's return.
    Would that game be Agent Dash? I had just come off a few weeks of enjoying that one when this dropped. That's also a VERY good runner, but both that and Temple Run have to be played in the vertical. I specifically like that Pitfall! is horizontal so less of the screen real estate is obscured.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-16-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

iCade is awkward and impractical?

Seriously? Are we all talking about the same thing?

It's a lag-free, wireless, traditional/classic style arcade controller designed with our set in mind.

For those grousing about not liking touch control, there's isn't a more practical device available for the system.
    In all fairness though, it renders a highly portable device into something that has to be placed on a steady, flat surface in essentially a wooden box. It's also not the most comfortable controller for long periods of time. So, while I personally like it for what it is, I agree that it's awkward and impractical in the context of a highly portable tablet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    In all fairness though, it renders a highly portable device into something that has to be placed on a steady, flat surface in essentially a wooden box. It's also not the most comfortable controller for long periods of time. So, while I personally like it for what it is, I agree that it's awkward and impractical in the context of a highly portable tablet.
    Even if that is the argument against it, does iControlpad "count" as a "proper controller"? It's certainly portable enough to stick in your pocket.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Even if that is the argument against it, does iControlpad "count" as a "proper controller"? It's certainly portable enough to stick in your pocket.
    I don't know, I've never used it, but it doesn't look very comfortable. I'm hoping the new Coco Controller works well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Nailed it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Nailed it
    Whatever.

I find absolutely nothing awkward or impractical about the icade in its intended usage and I completely disagree with the assessment that it isn't very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Whatever.

I find absolutely nothing awkward or impractical about the icade in its intended usage and I completely disagree with the assessment that it isn't very good.
    Just wait until this next generation of gamers doesn't know how to use a joystick at all from being brought up on games that require you to swing your arms or fingers around like a spaz and reward the attention span of a squirrel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The iCade is too big to be portable, and too cramped to be comfortable. There's nowhere for your hands to rest. The stick and buttons are also not that great. It's a cool novelty item, but that's about it.
    This is coming from someone who plays console games almost exclusively on an arcade stick.