Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete a game and the reward is disappointing

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Complete a game and the reward is disappointing

How many times have you played through a game to find out the final reward is something disappointing? The one that springs to mind for me is just getting a blue change of clothes after finishing Wind Waker. What are some other disappointing rewards you've seen when completing a game?

Edit: I may not have explained myself well enough. I do not mean game endings. I mean games where you get a reward, and the reward is something bad.
    Last edited by Coptur; 08-19-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember beating Battletoads in Battlemaniacs... All that hard work, and a boring ending.

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Ah, beat me to it.

Well I've got another one. All the pain and suffering to clear Makaimura on FC twice just to see the true ending, which was written in the worst poorly misspelled English I've ever seen in a game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MasterJSP's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mehizzo

The normal ending to Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde is pretty lame, although the special ending isn't much better either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, expecting a "reward" for beating a game is such a new concept. Back I the day you were lucky to see the credits roll.

My example of worst "reward" would be Karnov for the NES. Doesn't get less rewarding than that.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Do you mean a reward or do you mean an ending? Because they're not necessarily the same thing.

In terms of endings, if I'm disappointed, it's probably because the game as a whole was disappointing. If I enjoyed the game, just beating it is usually satisfaction enough, even if all I get is a "Congraturation". RPG endings can be a little disappointing sometimes, though, if I'm expecting something big and epic or if I'm expecting things to be explained and I get something short and/or vague instead.

As for rewards, like what you get for clearing a game 100%, I've always thought that the reward in Super Mario 64 is pretty lame. I love just about everything else in the game and will gladly collect 120 stars just for the fun of it, but, seriously, your triple jump is made sparkly, you get 100 lives, and you meet Yoshi? That's it? You don't even get to ride Yoshi, so who cares? And considering you've already done everything in the game, what good is all the extra lives? I don't know about anybody else, but getting all 120 stars is the point when I stop playing a file so the "rewards" are totally useless. They would've been better off giving me an alternate ending or letting me take the rewards into a "new game+" or something. The half-assed nature of the rewards almost makes me wonder if they had a lot more planned for the stuff. Maybe at one point they did intend for Mario to ride Yoshi.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Donkey Kong Land. Congratulations + credit roll. Extremely jarring considering how long a game it was, when it came out, and what game it was a spinoff of. Some games you just know to have low expectations. Donkey Kong Land was not one of them.

Castlevania: SOTN and Vandal Hearts had shit endings, too, considering the way they baited you. SOTN implied "better" endings by getting progressively further in the game before completing it. But the value of the final ending was effectively nil, a needless cliffhanger that to this day was never resolved.

Vandal Hearts was even worse. The normal ending was a cliffhanger. So it seemed like by doing all the special quests (getting Vandalier) you'd get to see it play out to the full conclusion. The actual reward? The same ending + a splash screen telling you how awesome you are. What was it with Konami back then?

Mega Man Soccer. Holy. Shit. The game has an ending. It accidentally got dummied out of the game so you can't view it by normal means. Beating the game does nothing. This has a side effect of also rendering a secret unlockable character (Dr. Wily) completely inaccessible. That alone wouldn't be so bad...if you couldn't see him on the character select screen just sitting there barely out of reach forever taunting you.

I'm fine with no reward so long as I'm not tricked into thinking there would be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    And considering you've already done everything in the game, what good is all the extra lives?
    This is how I feel every single time I beat the uber impossible boss in an RPG that's far more powerful than the game's last boss and the reward is something along the lines of the ultimate sword of destiny. Really? In case you didn't notice, developers, there's nothing left for me to actually use it on. Hey, I get a gold chocobo for beating Ruby Weapon? How cute. Too bad I had to breed one myself to stand a chance in the first place, assholes.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 08-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I finally finished Gradius for the NES, I was underwhelmed at the ending, and felt a little cheated. But it doesn't bother me anymore. I'm just happy I can finish Gradius. I've only done it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    All the pain and suffering to clear Makaimura on FC twice just to see the true ending, which was written in the worst poorly misspelled English I've ever seen in a game.
    To me, that's the most awesome kind of ending. Good quality Nihonglish is rewarding on it's own! VICTOLY!
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 08-16-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elitedarklord12
    PSN
    Elitedarklord12

Black and white 2, there was suppose to be a sandbox mode unlocked when you beat the game... there wasnt
    Video Games And Video Game Accessories

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Haha, all that stuff about Mega Man Soccer sounds so hilariously stupid that I'd think it would be hard to be mad at it.

As for Donkey Kong Land, just the experience of playing through the game was enough to successfully lower my expectations for the ending, haha.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    My example of worst "reward" would be Karnov for the NES. Doesn't get less rewarding than that.
    Maybe the Japanese version had a real ending. It at least had a plot that got cut from the English version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    And considering you've already done everything in the game, what good is all the extra lives?
    Also, the idea of extra lives in Mario 64 was and is totally pointless, even before beating the game. When you run out, continue and no progress is lost. It's like having extra lives in Zelda. But, Nintendo isn't gonna give that one up, seeing as the 1up 'shroom is beyond iconic at this point, even if it's pretty much useless for the flagship Mario home console games (64, Sunshine, Galaxy).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Action Fighter and Shinobi on Master System struck me like this. I remember Revenge of Shinobi getting panned in EGM for having the "worst ending of the year". I never figured that one out though, two separate endings based on how the final boss fight goes is way better than a "congradurations" screen.

The game that totally blew me out with its non-ending though is Final Fantasy VII. Did all of humanity get wiped out or not?! Why lead up that question so much if they weren't going to answer it?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Maybe the Japanese version had a real ending. It at least had a plot that got cut from the English version.
    I fan-translated the Japanese version of Karnov.

So yes, it DOES have an ending. Three.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/a/karj.htm

I'm not even sure why they used my patch as if it were official but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Also, the idea of extra lives in Mario 64 was and is totally pointless, even before beating the game. When you run out, continue and no progress is lost. It's like having extra lives in Zelda. But, Nintendo isn't gonna give that one up, seeing as the 1up 'shroom is beyond iconic at this point, even if it's pretty much useless for the flagship Mario home console games (64, Sunshine, Galaxy).
    There are still halfway points that make 1-ups not completely useless.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post

Hahaha, holy shit, that's amazing. Karnov is such a freakin' badass.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post

I believe VG Museum's only rule is that it has to be in English.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

The endings to the early Tekken series drove me crazy. I guess they were cool to see on a home system at the time but they really didn't do anything for the character's story (with an exception of a few). I would of prefered them to add more characters with the space saved from rippng out the CGI crap.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI