Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Favorite Strategy-Tactics Game?

Have'nt seen anything on this yet.....

Here' is a genre that is hard to pin down exactly as to WHAT kind of game that it is. It combines a strategy game with elements that you may see in a fighting game, or a RPG, or some other type of game. A relitivily recent invention in video gaming, compared to many other types out there, the earilest US releases I think that could be called such would be Conflict and Shining Force. And yet, this is one of my all time favorite type of games.

So which ones are your personal favorite?

In no order, I would have to say mine are:

Arc the Lad Collection (PSX) -- It took forever for WD to get this out the door, but I was hooked the moment I started playing. Good stories, nice music, and well paced battles with optional stuff a plenty to do. The third is my personal favorite, with the trademark WD humor and losing the depressing feel of the first two.
    Shining Force series (multipule) -- can't go wrong with these games -- weak plots but fun gameplay action.
    Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) -- the classic of the genre. Wonderfull things all around, save the graphics and the depressing ending. Can't wait for the GBA one!
    Front Mission 3 (PSX) -- Oh, if only Square had brought the others over here! At least the first one has had the ROM translated. One of my all time favorite PlayStation games. Good story, good music, and great mech smashing fun!
    Vanguard Bandits (PSX) -- Once again, WD has good taste in which games to bring over. Fun story and charcters with trademark WD humor and five different story lines to work on, keeping you busy for a while.
    Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 (PSX) -- Konami can't do any wrong. One is kind of dated, but two is unqiue in how opposing units move at the same time and is a VERY long game.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

War Craft II was my introduction to the strategy genre on gaming platforms (I played Heroes of Might and Magic and other strategy type games on PC). And that's been the only real strategy game I've enjoyed on a console.

For PC, I love the Star Wars Galactic Battleground series and was a big fan of Heroes of Might and Magic up until #5.

Stategy may be one of my favorite genres of game.
    SO not the Drama.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Brigandine
    Hoshigami
    Ogre Battle
    Tactics Ogre

FFT was my fav though... although I really haven't played any others. I guess you could kinda consider Suikoden II partly strategy.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If we can include real-time strategy in this, I've always got to stick in a good word for Dune 2000.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Final Fantasy Tactics is still my favorite in this genre simply because it's a game you can play differently each time through.

VERY VERY close though is Front Mission 3. What a pleasant surprise that game was. It was a little too easy, though.

I still love the Genesis entries in this genre, especially the Shining Force games and Warsong. This is where I was introduced to ths style of game and in many ways it's more rewarding than the standard RPG. I always enjoyed those old war boardgames by Avalon Hill and this kind of game was always the closest thing to the strategy involved without getting bogged down in the numbers.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What were some of the Real time Strategy games for the N64?
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddychester
    What were some of the Real time Strategy games for the N64?
    Two that leap to mind would be Command and Conquer and Starcraft 64

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Advance Wars!
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Warsong without a doubt. That game was so cool in that your lead characters could increase their levels just like Shining Force (and could morph into more powerful characters), but you also had soldiers that they commanded, unlike Shining Force. The bonuses you got for terrain were like Military Madness(a sweet game) and also certain soldiers were better against certain types than others (archers were good against flying enemies, etc.) It's cool to watch the battles once the moves are made (seeing a bunch of soldiers clash together, or a bunch of soldiers against a powerful main character, these scenes are kinda like Military Madness too)The music is sweet as well...I still hum those tunes. Check it out:
    Warsong
    That game is my favorite Genesis game and I've played most of the RPGs and games of the same genre (Shining Force, etc.)
    Click here for my game list, including pictures.
    Currently playing on my Xperia Play: Nectaris: Military Madness (PSX), Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Laser Squad. Brilliant in single and multiplayer. The people responsible went onto do the X-Com series...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shining Force, Military Madness, and Vandal Hearts.

I dig Advance Wars, but it's missing "something".. maybe it's that whole damn "fog of war" thing that makes it less than great.

I didn't like FF Tactics because of the whole Job System.. too involved for me :P

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I should probably point out Jessen's in-depth review of Warsong here while we're on the subject!

http://www.digitpress.com/columns/mi...hoolgaming.htm

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if it counts, but I always loved Scorched Earth for the PC. I also like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Strategy genre is by far my favourite. There are also alot of different kings of strategy games too.
    Favourite Strategy/Simulation: Genghis Khan(Nes) Buying/trading at the market. Having kids and hoping one is a boy so you have a successor. Unifying thw world! Loads of fun!
    Strategy/Rpg: Wow their are lots that I can choose from. Probally my favourite is Warsong followed closely with the Shining Force games
    Real-Time Strategy: Herzog Zwei. I was in heaven when i first played it 10+years ago. Should have a sequel
    Strategy:Military Madness.We all know this gem.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Shining Force, Military Madness, and Vandal Hearts.

I dig Advance Wars, but it's missing "something".. maybe it's that whole damn "fog of war" thing that makes it less than great.

I didn't like FF Tactics because of the whole Job System.. too involved for me :P
    I've got Nectaris: Military Madness on the way! And I forget if you told me before--does Nectaris include the maps from the TG-16 "Maps o' Doom" disc?

And in Advance Wars I love fog of war. Grit thinks he's a big man with his rocket launchers until your mech unit steps out of the woods and delivers a beatdown... And hiding your own artillery in the woods makes one cackle with glee sometimes.

I just bought FF Tactics (PSX) (complete, non-greatest-hits, $12 delivered--BOOYAH). I haven't played it yet, as I'm a little bit afraid of it, like it will be a job or something. You are not encouraging me, sir.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    I've got Nectaris: Military Madness on the way! And I forget if you told me before--does Nectaris include the maps from the TG-16 "Maps o' Doom" disc?
    Hmm.. I'm not sure. All I know is the TG-16 version has 32 levels (16 maps, with the 2nd iteration being more difficult).

The psx version has those 32 TG-16 levels, and adds 32 levels to it (I think). Also if I remember correctly, those new psx levels aren't as fun as the original levels but the psx has you play them first by default.

If I were you, if playing the psx version, I'd play the original TG-16 levels FIRST.. they're better layed out. Matter o' fact, I recommend you play the Turbografx-16 version over the PSX version. The PSX version just seems to drag it down a notch with all it's hubbub. The game feels a lot darker too, not to mention the load times. The TG-16 version gives you a little more lighter feel (and faster pace) which would go well if you're coming from Advance Wars

I've said it before, but play it in Magic Engine on your pc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I should probably point out Jessen's in-depth review of Warsong here while we're on the subject!

http://www.digitpress.com/columns/mi...hoolgaming.htm
    Thanks for the link...all this makes me want to play it again...that is such a shame that none of the sequels made it over here. I can't read a lick of Japanese, though that's probably for the best or I'd spend a lot of money on Japanese games too.
    Click here for my game list, including pictures.
    Currently playing on my Xperia Play: Nectaris: Military Madness (PSX), Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the link...all this makes me want to play it again...that is such a shame that none of the sequels made it over here. I can't read a lick of Japanese, though that's probably for the best or I'd spend a lot of money on Japanese games too.
    Funny you should say that, I was thinking the same thing. Fortunately, though, Langrisser 2's rom has been translated, and is playable on the emulator Meka. Zektor was good enough to patch the rom for me (after many failed attempts to do it on my own) and I've been playing a few scenarios here and there. The translation is decent, and lots of little improvements have been made (if you lose a character in battle, he/she will be back in the next scenario instead of being gone for good). PM me for info on Langrisser 2 if you wanna try it out.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Favorite Strategy-Tactics Game?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    So which ones are your personal favorite?
    Just a heads-up that Atlus is soon to ship Disgaea for the PS2, a heavy-duty strategy-tactics title with a tolerable but fruitylicious storyline. It also has PS1-level graphics, but hey, it's all about the gameplay.

-- Z.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I don't get into this style of game too much...my favorite one is the original Command & Conquer on my PC ( I still can't beat the 4th mission)
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting