Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Review: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Illustrates Nintendo's Greatest Problem [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Unfortunately, this appears to be nintendos new design philosophy. The wii u is basically designed as a multiplayer party machine. The best of the Nintendoland games featured at e3 were only fun when you have 5 people with you.
    Then I shall spend my hermit gaming dollars elsewhere.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The difference between a good 2D Mario and a bad 2D Mario comes down to the level design, the physics of the game, and enemy placement. It's a platformer, so when the platforming aspect of the game is sub par, then Mario or not, you've got a bad game. Other than remakes, there are very few good platformers that have came out this gen, or maybe they started good and just got boring shortly after, or difficulty turned from challenging yet fun to frusturatingly difficult in a short amount of time.

Prinny and Prinny 2 in my opinion are amazing games that I'd recommend to any old school platforming fan. Aside from Dracula X Chronicles, I think they're the best two platformers this gen. They've both got a high difficulty, but it's challenging without being too challenging(think of a platformer version of Demon's Souls difficulty,) which to me is perfect. For those that are glutton's for punishment, then there is a difficulty which you die in a single hit. One feature about Prinny is the games difficulty scales as you complete stages, so one person might complete this one stage earlier on, and another person might choose to complete a few other stages before that one, so each stage is the same, but because one person is further in the game, then the stage has more enemies.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I caved and bought it and it's not bad. Nothing really very new and it does kind of feel more like New Super Mario Bros. 1.5 "numismatist edition"

I have to echo a sentiment from earlier and say I have a really hard time understanding why this isn't "New Super WARIO Land" or something like that. Mario has never been "all about the Benjamins" unlike Wario. The whole premise behind this game just screams Wario.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I bet you Mario's Time Machine sold because it's on a console people owned,
    I bet you have no idea how much it sold. And I'd hardly call an aggregate score of 60.25% (albeit from only two sources), how did you put it? Oh yeah:

I'm just saying that Nintendo could slap the Mario logo on a bag of shit and people would buy it and would say it's the greatest thing ever. Well. Not quite a bag of shit, but you get my point.
    Enough with the hyperbole already dude...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mario's Time Machine.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	5653

(Just to stay on point with the topic at hand, I'm sure it would be a fine game to play and I would enjoy it, but I don't have nor do I yet plan to buy a 3DS so the point is moot with me)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It's easy when Mario isn't in your genres of choice to criticize and nitpick the ever loving shit out of the games saying they don't change, they don't advance, they play the same, and so on.
    I think it's even easier to criticize when you DO really love platformers. The overall gameplay concept may be about the same as in the 80s and the 90s, but the mentality isn't the same at all. Nintendo is very much approaching these games with a modern mentality, approaching these as quick, easy, paint-by-the-numbers throwbacks. The stakes aren't remotely as high as in the past, so they don't have to put in the same kind of effort, creativity, etc. I mean, the fact that they're now recycling assets like graphics and music just says it all. Nintendo wants to make a quick buck off of us, that's it. They couldn't care less about making the next great Mario game that'll live on in memory in the same way as SMB3 and such. Maybe they care with the Galaxy games, but definitely not with these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I bet you have no idea how much it sold. And I'd hardly call an aggregate score of 60.25% (albeit from only two sources), how did you put it?
    It's a console people have owned and it's a Mario title. That's a good enough reason to know it's sold. Although you're right that I have no idea how much it sold, it must have sold well enough for them to decide to milk it elsewhere by porting it over to the NES and then over to the PC. If it didn't sell, I can see the PC version since it'd have just been a port, but the NES version is a completely different game altogether.

Here's an example. Final Fantasy. Despite all the hate it got in Japan and most of the fanbase calling the game out for being the piece of shit that it is when they got it day one, everyone still picked the game up because it's titled Final Fantasy. I know more than a few people who wanted to judge the game based on their own opinion since it's a series they like, me included. I'm a bit better off since I got it less than a month after release for $30 new, but I still bought it because it's Final Fantasy.

Sega also helps back up my bag of shit analogy with Sonic, as Sonic proves that a shitty, although well loved, mascot can be added to anything and it'll sell. Considering that barely any of the Sonic games are any good to begin with and Sonic originally sold because it was an exclusive property makes that ring all the more true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sonic thing is mind boggling.
    It sells like crack to kids who weren't even alive when the series was actually good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Colors and Generations were both well-received. Black Knight sucked, but I don't think it sold that well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those two are okay, but there's a period from about 1994 until 2010 when things were pretty bleak, and the overwhelming majority of Sonic games were mediocre.
    Sonic Rush was actually pretty good, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The Sonic thing is mind boggling.
    It sells like crack to kids who weren't even alive when the series was actually good.
    Reminds me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEHVR...ailpage#t=110s
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-06-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there's anything wrong with NSMB2. It's more of the same, but "the same" is utterly terrific. Any serious change to the Mario 2D formula would rile me, I think. I like seeing how they can advance within those confines, not advance by making an entirely different game. If they're going to do that, they should....make an entirely different game, but this isn't, it's Mario Bros, so it should be Mario Bros.

I'm more disturbed with the direction the 3D Mario games have gone in. I like SMB3D Land and the Galaxy titles, but it seems like they've been getting progressively more hectic, more like 2D Mario, more about rapid platforming than the exploration that we saw in SM64. I liked the easier pace of SM64 where the player was rewarded for paying attention and being curious, rather than for having the quickest reaction times.

Sunshine was still pretty heavy on the exploration and free-form stuff. Galaxy was less so, Galaxy 2 was less-so still, and now SM 3D land is basically a NSMB game in isometric. Stop doing this. Bring me back some Jolly Roger Bay, damn it.