Thread: Strange eBay situation.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Default Strange eBay situation.....

So, I found an awesome auction about two days ago that seemed too good to be true; an opened Nintendo 3DS from Japan. Here's the kicker; the seller wanted $27.40 for it with free shipping. He offered both Aqua Blue and Ice White colors. He sold out of both very fast to about 89 users (I assume a couple of people may have bought more than one, but you never know) I had a feeling it was a hoax or an extreme oversight on the seller's part. He may have meant to put "$270.40" or something to that extent as that's the range these things have been going for. I figured "hey, if this is an error or a hoax, I'll get my money back from Paypal so I better just give it a try!".

I paid for one and waited. The seller had his account set to manual payment confirmation, so this was my hint something was wrong. He confirmed it yesterday however, and marked the system shipped as well. Fast-foward to this morning and I find the following message on my page:

Quote Originally Posted by eBay
    We're writing to let you know that this listing for an item you won or bid on is no longer available:

280945725983 - NEW USED Nintendo 3DS Console System Ice White JAPAN import Japanese version

We understand this may be disappointing, but occasionally we need to remove listings. In some cases, the item itself is fine, but was listed in a way that didn't follow eBay's guidelines.

Here's what you can do next:

-- If you already paid, received your item, and you're satisfied, please disregard this notice.
    -- If you won the item but haven't paid, don't pay. Since eBay removed the listing, you're no longer obligated to go through with the transaction.
    -- If you already paid for this item through eBay, and it's past the estimated delivery time, you can open a case in our Resolution Center. Click the link below, and select the "I haven't received it yet" option. This will guide you through the process of opening a case.
    http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com

If the seller offers you the item outside of eBay, we strongly discourage you from accepting the offer. These types of transactions are extremely risky and aren't covered by eBay buyer protection programs.

If you didn't pay through eBay or PayPal, and:
    -- You paid by Western Union or MoneyGram, contact the company directly (Western Union 800-325-6000 or MoneyGram 800-926-9400).
    -- You paid by check, contact your bank to stop payment.

Thanks,

eBay

It appears someone reported him, his auction, or both because he just got banned too. I have no way to know if another user figured it wasn't right and got the whole thing pulled or what. Since the seller (allegedly) shipped the system yesterday, should I just wait it out for ten days and file a refund request like eBay suggests or do it now? I really don't think I'm going to get anything now so I'm not getting my hopes up.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    So, I found an awesome auction about two days ago that seemed too good to be true; an opened Nintendo 3DS from Japan. Here's the kicker; the seller wanted $27.40 for it with free shipping. He offered both Aqua Blue and Ice White colors. He sold out of both very fast to about 89 users (I assume a couple of people may have bought more than one, but you never know) I had a feeling it was a hoax or an extreme oversight on the seller's part. He may have meant to put "$270.40" or something to that extent as that's the range these things have been going for. I figured "hey, if this is an error or a hoax, I'll get my money back from Paypal so I better just give it a try!".

I paid for one and waited. The seller had his account set to manual payment confirmation, so this was my hint something was wrong. He confirmed it yesterday however, and marked the system shipped as well. Fast-foward to this morning and I find the following message on my page:

It appears someone reported him, his auction, or both because he just got banned too. I have no way to know if another user figured it wasn't right and got the whole thing pulled or what. Since the seller (allegedly) shipped the system yesterday, should I just wait it out for ten days and file a refund request like eBay suggests or do it now? I really don't think I'm going to get anything now so I'm not getting my hopes up.
    I'd file immediately as you can always cancel if you actually receive it. More than likely though, somebody's ebay/paypal account was hacked which is why it's highly doubtful you'll be getting anything in the mail.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    I'd file immediately as you can always cancel if you actually receive it. More than likely though, somebody's ebay/paypal account was hacked which is why it's highly doubtful you'll be getting anything in the mail.
    I agree..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

The system won't let me file a claim, at least not yet. I'll give them a call by phone and see what I can do. Thanks ya'll!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I filed a claim directly with Paypal about three days ago and the seller responded today with a tracking number presumably from China.

RA564301191CN

The thing won't trace from anywhere. USPS says I can't track it there at this time, and every Chinese tracking resource says information isn't available yet. I still call hokey because the seller was registered as a Canadian user, yet claimed the item ships from Japan. As we all now, China and Japan aren't the same place so to speak.

Paypal claims to be investigating his information now. I have until September 4th to confirm the shipment's arrival, and if I can't by then, hopefully Paypal will be able to refund me. On the off chance this isn't a hoax, I can always resubmit payment.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GizzyGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I would open the inquiry via paypal, but not go ahead with the full dispute. Remember you have 45 days to do so. Id wait a week or two, then if nothing, then I would move forward.

http://www.GizzyGames.com
    10% off for all DP members! Use code DIGIT at checkout!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

The tracking number finally came-back as positive in the China-Post tracing system. The item was accepted by the acceptance office today. Coincidentally, today is the day Paypal was set to close the case and refund me. I just got off the phone with customer service and the lady told me I could close the case now, and file another if the item still doesn't show-up or arrives differently than described. My hopes just went up, though there's still a chance I may receive an MP3 player in a 3DS shell!

I'll post when it finally shows-up in USPS' tracking system. Registered Airmail shouldn't take too long. I should have some more info next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

The tracking number is still stuck in "origin post is preparing shipment" status. Either it's just taking a long time, or I've really been duped as suspected. Back when he responded to the case, I called Paypal and the service representitive said I could open another claim if nothing shows-up as long as I do so within the 45 day limit. This is apparently not true, as the system will not let me take further action on this order. Paypal's employees apparently aren't trained thuroughly, as that was an outright spouting of misleading and false information.

I've got another 14 days left, so I guess I'll wait until then to call-up and ask for a refund.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you got jerked around. The seller was obviously scamming. You can only file one claim per transaction. Now that you closed the other, you won't be able to open a new one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I got my package today! A PLASTIC JEWEL IN AN ENVELOPE. Called Paypal and they escalated the dispute to a claim again. Looks like I'll definitely be getting my money back, but it'll happen by the 9th.