Thread: Doubts over DMC's Dante dissipating, Capcom says [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Doubts over DMC's Dante dissipating, Capcom says [Joystiq]

When Capcom first ripped the lid off the Devil May Cry series reboot, dubbed DmC: Devil May Cry, fans were angry with developer Ninja Theory's direction - specifically, Dante's new look and surroundings. Capcom US Producer Alex Jones understands this initial concern, but believes outrage is dissipating.

"There was always going to be people who saw new Dante and who didn't want it, and that's fine. Being angry about it - yeah I get that - but we always said, 'When you see the game and you play it, trust me, you're going to understand that we were doing the right thing.' Now that's happening," Jones tells VG24/7. "So yeah it's vindication, but it's not like smugly sitting back and going 'ha ha.' It's more like, 'We understand why you guys had doubts, and we knew that we had to prove this to you, and we were happy to do it.' That was our responsibility."

Despite Dante's new look, Jones says there's a lot to the character that will be familiar to fans of the series - and not just his twin pistols and sword. "He's still irreverent, he's still - at the end of the day - the guy who will kick your ass and drop a cool one liner afterwards."

The interview delves into story and other philosophies behind Ninja Theory's reboot, so hit up the source link below to read the full interview.Doubts over DMC's Dante dissipating, Capcom says originally appeared on Joystiq on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 23:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Step back... Watch me spin this" says Capcom.

"He's still irreverent, he's still - at the end of the day - the guy who will kick your ass and drop a cool one liner afterwards." could be read as:" He's just some generic hero that we slapped the DMC title onto. Watch him smoulder with a generic rage"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

He looks like an apathetic cosplayer.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    He looks like an apathetic cosplayer.
    I thought that was the point of the new redesign?

I've only played DMC1 once so I'm definitely not a big fan of the series but it seemed to me that his original design was made to "leak cool" back then. It seems like CAMCOM/Ninja Theory was trying to recapture that with a new generation of fans again, just with the changing attitudes of the times. I'm not saying it works because the whole punkish/emo thing generally died about 5 years ago but this redesign was pretty obvious from the get go that it was about attracting a new audience and not for the older fans.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

It cracks me up that people get upset over this stuff, like the original Dante character was some kind of sweet, original character, when in fact he was basically a frat boy crossed with a ninja turtle wearing a trench coat, because it was the nineties. This guy doesn't look like much of an improvement, but there's no where to go but up from Raphael "'Za Eatin'" DudeBro DemonHunter.

I'm one of the weird guys that really liked (all three hours, yeah yeah) of Heavenly Sword, and enjoyed Enslaved quite a bit too. On the other hand, Devil May Cry 4 was terrible. I'll give this new game a shot.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Why doesn't Capcom just do this. If people are going to bitch about the look of the new Dante, then a simple fix would make two models. One model to look like new Dante, one model to look like old Dante, with an in game option whether it's in the options menu or the mission menu to change Dante's look. Similar to changing between Dante, Diesel Dante, Original DMC Dante, etc when playing DMC3 or between Dante and Sparda when playing the original DMC.

I mean how long do people have to bitch before Capcom gets it in their head to tell Ninja Theory to make an alternate costume? Then the bitching will cease I'm sure.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This seems to have the same sort of pizazz that the Bionic Commando reboot had. Yeah.. Trust me, Capcom, the rage has only just begun. Only. Just. Begun.

Oh well.

I'm sure Twilight fans will eat this up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Why doesn't Capcom just do this. If people are going to bitch about the look of the new Dante, then a simple fix would make two models. One model to look like new Dante, one model to look like old Dante, with an in game option whether it's in the options menu or the mission menu to change Dante's look. Similar to changing between Dante, Diesel Dante, Original DMC Dante, etc when playing DMC3 or between Dante and Sparda when playing the original DMC.

I mean how long do people have to bitch before Capcom gets it in their head to tell Ninja Theory to make an alternate costume? Then the bitching will cease I'm sure.
    Or....

They could just do this:

JOEY Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    This seems to have the same sort of pizazz that the Bionic Commando reboot had. Yeah.. Trust me, Capcom, the rage has only just begun. Only. Just. Begun.

Oh well.

I'm sure Twilight fans will eat this up.
    It's kinda a shame since I thought that the new Bionic Commando was pretty good, the character model looked stupid as hell but I enjoyed playing it. I'm not a huge fan of the way Dante looked before and it doesn't seem to be an improvement at all now, I just hope the game is actually good. We don't need another Devil May Cry 2 on our hands.