Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things people do with/to classic games and systems that really bothers you

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Things people do with/to classic games and systems that really bothers you

So...I just finished ranting on my blog, and figured...what the heck..lets see what gets everyone else upset. I will tell you what I mean...

I just picked up a crate of systems from a yard sale for $15. In the crate were 2 Model 1 Genesis systems, 2 Model 2's, a model 1 SCD, and a PS2. All were super dirty, but I figured they had them stored away and a little cleaning will do the job just fine. PS2 works fine. However none of the Genesis systems work. Not major..figured I could open them up and give a good work over..until I open them up and a horrid musty smell smacks me in the face. Obviously these been stored in a very damp basement prone to flooding. All the systems were rusty brown on the inside. This really ticks me off. Who would store ANY electronics in a damp musty basement? WHY!!!???? This ranks up there with the age old question of...What do people do with game cases and manuals after they buy games? It infuriates me to no end.

Anyways...what ya got?
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing that really annoys me is shitty paint jobs on old consoles. There's a SNES that's been on eBay for months with a really fucking terrible paint job that depicts Cammy's ass over an oh-so-1990's faux stone spray paint base. They guy even had the balls to sign his creation on the bottom as if he's some sort of well known artist. On too of that, he wants like a hundred bucks for the POS. too much of that sort of thing and really any severely amateur hack job mod.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i guess mine is along the same lines. Just condition really. I hate going to a flea market or looking on craigslist/ebay and seeing a game in terrible condition. I hate seeing totally sun faded games from being left outside for so long, torn labels, or carts that look like theyve been buried and dug up or used as a dinner plate... it just doesnt make sense to me.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Just a little thing, but removing/losing the "expansion port" doors/covers on any system that had them (Genesis, Turbografx, SNES, etc.).

Always makes me sad inside to see one like that.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sitting in judgment on those who do this, but here goes: I dislike when collecting video games overrides actually playing them. I'll spare you my intended function of a video game rant, but I will say that slabbing a game doesn't sit well with me. I suppose on a very common game like Super Mario Bros. it doesn't bother me as much as much as when a Nintendo World Championships gets the Hans Solo carbonite treatment. Yet, even this tragedy is mitigated by virtue of the availability of NWC repros.

Video games are potential fun (ala potential energy), and sealing them away forever keeps this fun from ever happening. I'm a half-ass animist when it comes to video games. I like the idea of rescuing neglected games from garages where they are being buried and forgotten about in some box with a ton of other miscellaneous stuff. Slabbing them is like rescuing a butterfly and then dipping it in formaldehyde to seal it up. Let the butterfly fly and play the damn video game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Just a little thing, but removing/losing the "expansion port" doors/covers on any system that had them (Genesis, Turbografx, SNES, etc.).

Always makes me sad inside to see one like that.
    I hear you. I lent my N64 to a friend years ago and it was returned to me without the cover/flap on the front of the console. Still sort of irks me, but it took him forever to give it back to me, so I was just glad to get it back. My friend had a rather robust cocaine addiction so it was rather iffy if I would ever see the poor thing again.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Me: "Do you still have all your old games kicking around? I'll buy them from you"

Them: "No we threw them away years ago"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Custom paint jobs that look horrible really make me frustrated, especially if someone thinks it's worth a lot more because of their "AWESOME" work. One guy on CL had the gall to try and sell a "special edition" Gold Nintendo that had obviously just been spray painted.

Poorly treated stuff kind of irks me, but if it's not mine there's really not much I can say about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Me: "Do you still have all your old games kicking around? I'll buy them from you"

AHH!!! Those words are poison. Perfect example. Next to my parents business is a bulk wholesale shop owned by two old brothers. When I was little my dad would bring me in and let me pick out a new NES and eventually a Genesis game when I got into Sega. Last summer I was talking to one of the brothers wife who frequents our shop...and asked her..hey ...when I was little I used to get video games..what did they do with all them? Her response was "Those two idiot brothers locked a bunch of the stuff away in a storage unit and then had family go through it all and toss the stuff away"

I almost cried.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post

When I was growing up, my friend's sister had this stupid friend that threw away a perfectly good NES because the dog chewed up one of the cables. This was when NES consoles were still being sold new for $200. People are just as bad now with perfectly functional computers, but it actually works in my favour most of the time. There's nothing like finding a perfectly good PC on the curb because some dimwit can't re-install Windows.

Even worse than that, is the giant bins full of IBM Model 2 keyboards and classic Commodore computers I used to see wasting away and being crushed under their own weight at the computer recycler in Hamilton, Ontario. Of course, they had worthless Pentium era PCs all cleaned up and ready to sell. The retards that ran the place were just clueless about what any of it was worth. Some of the Amiga computers they had were, and still would be, worth hundreds of dollars on the open market, but anything that couldn't run Windows 95 was sold for scrap.
    Last edited by kedawa; 08-28-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Also, stickers on consoles.

*shudder*
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Also, stickers on consoles.

*shudder*
    I will agree on that one..not just consoles..but stickers in general, especially on the labels ...grrr...also coffee or pop stains...I mean come on people, did you play these or use them as coasters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two main things:

Goodwills that throw away classic games and consoles. Notice that you never see anything older than NES at Goodwill. There is a reason for that

People at a certain gaming site that take Atari VCS consoles and turn them into lamps, ruining consoles and game carts in the process. Additionally, proprietor of said website destroys hundreds of Atari game cartridges for homebrews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In all the years it never has happened but during this summer I've picked up a pair of games that had water seeped into the cartridge housing yet leaving the outside label and all spotless. Both of them still work, mostly, the one with a battery well it rusted and now it doesn't hold a charge and that's Super Punchout, the other was Mega Man 5 of all things! It took about 30-45min on each of them when I got them using magic eraser, 91% alcohol, qtip, razor blade, and paper towels to get the boards and the crust around the little resistors and chips cleaned off. I was shocked how bad MM5 was but the SNES was even worse. I was so so please when I got MM5 to work, hadn't had a copy of it since my original I had to let go of sickeningly around 8 years ago as I refused to pay the big bucks on it (got this one for $20.)

Outside of that I've picked up some systems or games over time where some numbnuts went crazy with the marker, smoked or left it in the sun so the NES casing yellowed around lame surfer stickers on the case or whatever. You get the split cables put together with tape that makes you wonder too. And of course you get a game cartridge that has been cracked probably from being palmed standing up in your snes where the back half is split in places usually along the edge.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

People who wrap the wires around controllers. Winds up usually screwing the wire up.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    People who wrap the wires around controllers. Winds up usually screwing the wire up.
    I think there are a LOT of people guilty of that crime

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The already mentioned missing port covers. I mean, really, what the hell did you do with that GameCube broadband cover? And the expansion pak cover for your N64, was it really that hard to put the cover back on that one time you had to remove it!?

Also, maybe not "classic" but I really don't get why people dispose of cases for disc based media.

Lastly, I am guilty as charged for cord wrapping...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Encasing sealed games in plastic and referring to them as investments.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do that all the time and have never had a cord fail.

And speaking of covers, what's up with all the missing battery covers?
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 8 bins of controllers stored like this. Doh.