Thread: Help Identify This Old Computer with Integrated Monitor, Two Adjustment Knobs, No Built-In Floppies

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Question Help Identify This Old Computer with Integrated Monitor, Two Adjustment Knobs, No Built-In Floppies

What is the name of the classic computer that appears in the Mr. Download Says video on "Nintendo Video," the 3DS video channel? Unfortunately the video is no longer active on the Nintendo 3DS video cycle, but it was an oldie from the 1980's, beige, had an integrated screen with control knobs for the video, and (possibly) special red and yellow keys in addition to the regular beige keys with white or black lettering. The red & yellow keys might have just been added for the video to differentiate the computer from a standard one for some legal reasoning. Important to note are that the computer *did not* have integrated floppy drives but the integrated monitor did have a curved top instead of the commonly flat, boxy type of top which a lot of home computers had in the 1980's. Obviously, the monitor could not swivel and it was most likely a phosphor green monitor.

Thanks for the help, O wise crowd!

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The video's on Youtube, looks more like a dumb terminal than a computer. Probably a VT52 clone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I was thinking a terminal as well. The knob reminds me of a Lear-Siegler ADM terminal.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Found it on youtube too... It actually looks vaguely familiar but I can't quite place it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAbPkVECNYM
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Closest thing I can find is this, but it's definitely not it. Similar body style, though. I like it.

I don't think what you're talking about is a computer. Something tells me it's a terminal. The design is clearly from the 60's or early 70s, like something out of Kubrick's 2001.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's definitely late 70's to early 80's. Anything newer would be more vt-100 style with a seperate keyboard. In the 60's or early/mid 70's you'd have a teletype like a DECwriter as a terminal.
    Plus it has arrow keys, meaning it's more than just a simple glass teletype.

I'm leaning towards ADM rather than Tandem or DEC or Wyse. I used to have an ADM terminal but it was much newer, probably mid 80's. Best terminal I ever owned. But it was too bulky so I got rid of it, now I just use a newer style VT-220.
    Last edited by blue lander; 08-31-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'm fairly certain that it's a WANG computer/terminal but I can't find the exact model.

Here's one verrrry similar to it. Looks like Nintendo put tape or something over the logo.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a bit wary of what might come up if I searched "Wang terminal," but I found this:

My best guess is that it's the terminal for the Wang VS100. Notice the arrow key layout, the funny shaped keys where CTRL would be on a modern keyboard. The Wang logo looks a little wider in this picture, and they obviously covered it up in the other shot, but that's the only significant difference I can find.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm pretty sure you are right about it being a terminal, particularly the ones you all believe are the prime candidates. The photos we've seen thus far aren't an exact match, but like many of you have said it is probably a variant of one of the ones which have been posted that was released at a different time and included more yellow and red keys on the keyboard.

I think that the Wang terminal is the likely the best bet of the bunch. Thanks again!