Thread: Welcome to the University of Michigan's Computer and Video Game Archive (Video) [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Welcome to the University of Michigan's Computer and Video Game Archive (Video) [Slashdot]

After watching this video, a lot of you are going to wish you were Dave Carter, who works at the University of Michigan's Computer and Video Game Archive. He deals with video games, from the oldest hand-helds and consoles to the newest Xbox and PC games and controllers. A lot of his time is no doubt spent fixing things that break, finding obscure games, being generally helpful, and making sure nobody breaks the games, consoles, computers, controllers, and even board games and memorabilia in the collection. But still, this has got to be the ultimate job for a game junkie. And it looks like a great place to visit, because this museum is part of a library, and just as a library encourages you to pick up books and read them, this is a place where you can actually play the games, not just stare at a ColecoVision console in a display case. You can play in a cubicle or, for games that take some space, there are a couple of big gaming rooms with soft-looking sofas and big flat-screen TVs, where you can jump up and down like crazy while you're doing Guitar Hero or using a Wii or Kinect. And if you can't make it to Ann Arbor, MI, there's an informative blog that's all about video games past and present that's must reading for almost any serious gamer.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

This is a pretty awesome university-run collection/archive. And being university-owned, they shouldn't have any worries about space nor funding. It should be there for a long time yet so hopefully if I ever find myself in Michigan I can stop and check it out... though myself being in Michigan is pretty unlikely.

Hopefully the future Videogame History Museum will be at least as cool. If nothing else the VGH Museum folks have 3x as much stuff and have this much and much more planned for it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I actually have been to Ann Arbor countless times, living not that far from it for years, and just now heard about this place. Kind of tempted to donate all my VIS stuff to it... not like I'm ever going to be playing it save to torment friends.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The CVGA has only existed since 2008 so unless you lived there that recently you wouldn't have been able to visit. However it definitely sounds like it is worth a visit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I KNEW I should have gone there. That's neat! The research projects especially.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

How long before Michigan Tea Party types watch that and want them to shut it down for wasting their money (even if it runs on donations)?

Personally, I love it, but seriously, does this really have a place at a university? Also, it's not a museum, it's a collection/archive. There are hundreds of private collectors (us) who can equal that stash.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK