Thread: Lucienne's Quest

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Lucienne's Quest

So I was at a local game store and on a whim I looked through their Sega CD jewel-case-only games.

One of them was actually a 3DO game called Lucienne's Quest. I think I read on Hardcore Gaming that this is actually almost as rare as Earthbound so even though I usually have a religion against buying CD-ROM games with just the disc and generic case, I decided to spring for it. Guy let me have it for $5.

I don't actually have a 3DO, but I'm hoping I can trade this for something good. Only problem is a lot of scratches on the back and I don't know if the game will even work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So I was at a local game store and on a whim I looked through their Sega CD jewel-case-only games.

One of them was actually a 3DO game called Lucienne's Quest. I think I read on Hardcore Gaming that this is actually almost as rare as Earthbound so even though I usually have a religion against buying CD-ROM games with just the disc and generic case, I decided to spring for it. Guy let me have it for $5.

I don't actually have a 3DO, but I'm hoping I can trade this for something good. Only problem is a lot of scratches on the back and I don't know if the game will even work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_1344wt_1147

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think I read on Hardcore Gaming that this is actually almost as rare as Earthbound
    It's probably a safe bet this is rarer than EarthBound because otherwise that implies EB is rare and not just expensive. :P

I mean, it's an RPG (a genre that wasn't popular at the time) on the 3DO (a console that few could afford).

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dreamstate's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is a fairly rare game, both because it had a lower production run and because it was one of the few 3DO RPG games. It is tough trying to sell something if you can't test it, but the CD can be read by a PC emulator. I don't know if you are in to that and are familiar with FreeDo or 4DO, but they are good emulators to try. Unless it is heavily scarred, it should resurfacable (is that a word?), but I would not use one of the crappy resurfacing options easy to find. Find someone who has a heat based resurfacing machine and it will be shiny and new again (assuming it does not have large gashes). Are you in the US? I would be willing to look at it for you and possibly pick it up if it works. That way, shipping would be super cheap since it is just a CD with a generic case.

I don't have a lot of feedback around here, but I hang around gametz.com and most sites out there as Dreamstate. I have tons of feedback, all good. Just let me know if you would like to try.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

thats a pretty good find there. I bought mine on ebay years ago for $50 and it came with just the disk and manual. I played a bit of it and its got a neat little twist on the turn based rpg genre adding obsticals like trees and rocks in the way of yours and the enemies attacks. Holds up pretty well for classic style rpg.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

................. Only problem is a lot of scratches on the back and I don't know if the game will even work.
    As long as the label side doesnt have scratches, the bottom can be repaired. If the scratches arent too deep, then it should be fine. Run your finger nail across the scratches, if you feel a click on the scratches, then they are gonna be more difficult to repair. Also, hold the disc up to a bright light. Can you see the light thru any scratches? If so, thats a bad sign.

Who ever repairs it, make sure they have a good machine and know how to run it. Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Apparently, the only other 3DO RPG released in America was The Guardian War.

The local store had that one too. Should I pick it up?

I'll check the disc when I get home, and Dreamstate I'll let you know something after I check the disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Figured I'd throw this in here:
    http://videogames.pricecharting.com/...leted-auctions

That's the selling history per auction on ebay going back to October 2010 and as you can see it doesn't show up that often. Also it appears it came both in a tall box and a normal jewel case. In that listing under the big $200 something win is one under $100 in a standard case and below it again at $200 so it's all over the board. It appears perhaps the long case gets more cash because below that in feb another tall one went and it was almost $800. Unfortunately for you every piece of history is based off a complete copy so who knows what you'll get.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guardian War is less valuable, espeacially if it is just a disc in a generic case. Pick it up if you want to play it (I remember enjoying it, but I suspect it has not held up well).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are enough people out there that want this game where you should have little problem selling it, even if the disc is all scratched up.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Also it appears it came both in a tall box and a normal jewel case. In that listing under the big $200 something win is one under $100 in a standard case and below it again at $200 so it's all over the board. It appears perhaps the long case gets more cash because below that in feb another tall one went and it was almost $800. Unfortunately for you every piece of history is based off a complete copy so who knows what you'll get.
    They all came in tall boxes. The ones without them are missing them and thus not complete (which is why they don't sell as high).
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Okay, tested. NO pinpricks of light. and the scratches don't seem that much worse than some used PS1 games I've gotten that usually played fine after a run through a Skip Doctor (I will NOT use that thing on Lucienne's Quest by the way).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts