Thread: Gamestop looking to get back into retro games

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Gamestop looking to get back into retro games

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...age-game-sales

so what do you guys think of this? an easier place for us to find our classic games? or a corporation who will be snatching the good deals out from under our noses throughout the country.

Some of the sellers at the flea markets may wind up finding it easier to trade them rather than sell to us for the $3-$5deals we are always looking to score. If Gamestop's prices are reasonable, it could work out great for us. I'm not sure what to think of this. I posted a thread about spare saturn cases earlier this week, it may make it easier to find those cheap sports games I've been looking for.

I want this to be a good thing for us collectors oh so badly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...age-game-sales

so what do you guys think of this? an easier place for us to find our classic games? or a corporation who will be snatching the good deals out from under our noses throughout the country.

Some of the sellers at the flea markets may wind up finding it easier to trade them rather than sell to us for the $3-$5deals we are always looking to score. If Gamestop's prices are reasonable, it could work out great for us. I'm not sure what to think of this. I posted a thread about spare saturn cases earlier this week, it may make it easier to find those cheap sports games I've been looking for.

I want this to be a good thing for us collectors oh so badly.
    Probably a good thing for collectors, esp. if they sell stuff complete, and a bad thing for independent resellers. Gamestop is in it to win it, and I wouldn't want to compete with them.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm both really excited and worried about this. It will be another source to find the classic games we want and maybe hunt for a few deals... but I'm worried that gamestop's prices will be through the roof. Either way I'm excited for this to happen and I'll be hoping for the best

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Space-Ace-13 View Post
    I'm both really excited and worried about this. It will be another source to find the classic games we want and maybe hunt for a few deals... but I'm worried that gamestop's prices will be through the roof. Either way I'm excited for this to happen and I'll be hoping for the best
    Thats the main problem i see with this.. Since gamestop will know no boundries in determining how much a copy of Super Mario World for the SNES should be sold at.. It could drive either everyone up making it harder to buy the games we want.. But in the end we'll take it and like it

Also as said before. Whatever Mom and pop game stores that are left will might as well start closing up shop and selling off excess inventory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm thinking Gamestop wants to run other Retro Stores out of business

Soon they can't profit from Download Media, So they going after the retro crowd

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I'm thinking Gamestop wants to run other Retro Stores out of business

Soon they can't profit from Download Media, So they going after the retro crowd
    Which is a smart move from a business stand point. But morally its wrong.. and who am I to say whats what... Business is business it ain't afraid to crack a few eggs to make a buck or 2

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Why don't they just bring back Funcoland.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Why don't they just bring back Funcoland.
    I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't actually be Gamestop selling these games, but possibly a funcoland or a "Gamestop classic" or something like that. Then again you wouldn't have people who don't care about thier older games coming in and trading them towards the purchase of newer ones.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I question what the size of the market for this really would be. Yes, there are literally millions of older games up on Ebay at any given time, but the overwhelming majority of them don't sell, even at really low prices. Most retro stores don't make the majority of their money off older games as I believe Joe found in running the DP store over the past few years. Frankly, this is going to be a lot of floor space for very little return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I figured they would do this at some point. I just hope they do it well (i.e. fair pricing, not throwing away the boxes and manuals, etc.)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    I figured they would do this at some point. I just hope they do it well (i.e. fair pricing, not throwing away the boxes and manuals, etc.)
    Because Gamestop is known for their fair pricing and keeping components such as boxes and inserts intact.

Given their history, Gamestop will ruin classic collecting and there is no way this will end well for us collectors. I'm glad I've pretty much finished acquiring everything I've wanted to get over the past six years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's to hoping they'll start selling Stadium Events for $0.19 again!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Well one thing we probably don't have to worry about is them buying up boxed games from ebay sellers and screwing them up. They aren't going to pay more money for an item just to take it apart and sell it for less. I'm guessing their source is old backstock from back when they used to carry them and maybe thrift store finds (which probably means lots of junky sports games)
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Well one thing we probably don't have to worry about is them buying up boxed games from ebay sellers and screwing them up. They aren't going to pay more money for an item just to take it apart and sell it for less. I'm guessing their source is old backstock from back when they used to carry them and maybe thrift store finds (which probably means lots of junky sports games)
    I kinda doubt they have much backstock from those days as most of their stores cleared classic stuff out a number of years ago and Gamestop.com followed suit more recently. Similarly, I doubt they have buyers scooping up thrift store or garage sale finds. Most likely they will simply buy bulk used stock from a distributor or start a buy back program that lasts for a few months to build stock and then distribute it nationally to individual stores which is how they have always done things previously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Because Gamestop is known for their fair pricing and keeping components such as boxes and inserts intact.
    I hear ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I despise gamestoppo. Why not bring back Babbages or Electronics Boutique before this crappy outfit gets into the classic gaming mix.

"..specifically pointing towards GameStop's website as the destination for this new venture."

That quote from the linked article makes it sound like the mom and pop shops will have no local competition. They will be conducting the retro business through online sales.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't actually be Gamestop selling these games, but possibly a funcoland or a "Gamestop classic" or something like that. Then again you wouldn't have people who don't care about thier older games coming in and trading them towards the purchase of newer ones.
    I'm not sure why anyone would think they'd be selling the games in their actual stores, it's like people didn't see the second sentence of the headline.

"Retail giant planning on expanding its online sales catalogue"

Note the word "online". I remember years ago they sold stuff only through their website, mostly older crap in horrible condition that they just wanted to get rid of. I'm guessing they're going to set up something similar to that only without clearance prices.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    I despise gamestoppo. Why not bring back Babbages or Electronics Boutique before this crappy outfit gets into the classic gaming mix.

"..specifically pointing towards GameStop's website as the destination for this new venture."

That quote from the linked article makes it sound like the mom and pop shops will have no local competition. They will be conducting the retro business through online sales.
    I read it the same way and was just about to point that out.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The stores do not have room to merchandise retro-product. They really do have to get out of business on some systems.

I would not be comfortable ordering from their online store unless it is a whole new thing from them. In the past you never new what you would get. They did not value boxes or manuals and it seems unlikely they would individualize each listing on their web-site according to each copy of each game (as ebay is by each seller).

Unless they could be successful I doubt their will be any price inflation, yet I do believe price inflation could help retrogaming by adding value to older games and merchandise. If Gamestop can learn the value of a box and manual then perhaps it will benefit the hobby, and maybe get at least a little respect from their detractors.

I have shopped Gamestop for years and am not as opposed to them as some (Got Uncharted 3 Collector's Edition for $18.99 New In Box acouple days ago, originally $99.99; not all is bad at Gamestop).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    I just hope they do it well (i.e. fair pricing, not throwing away the boxes and manuals, etc.)
    I wouldn't bet on either of those things happening. I will give it a look once it's up and running but I'm pretty sure that Gamestop will start pricing their rare/valuable retro games just as high as they sell for online(which is what they do now for rare current gen games like Metroid Prime Trilogy). Although I have no problem with one more place to search thru, I'm still going to be getting the majority of my retro games from the same places I do now: yard sales, flea markets, Goodwills and thrift stores.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.