Thread: New Metal Gear game and movie in the works, happiness overload

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New Metal Gear game and movie in the works, happiness overload

I have no doubt that the game will be spectacular, but I hope they don't fuck up the movie with the choice of cast, director etc.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I find little substance to make a movie from that won't bomb. I mean, who is going to see it other than MGS "fans?"
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

The film might do okay if it's not written by hideo kojima. We love the Mgs games for how quirky and awkward the scripts are, but if they were reviewed by a mainstream film critic, they'd be ripped to shreds.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    The film might do okay if it's not written by hideo kojima. We love the Mgs games for how quirky and awkward the scripts are, but if they were reviewed by a mainstream film critic, they'd be ripped to shreds.
    I disagree, I think it has to be written by Kojima or at least someone who understands the games for all of the quirkiness and radical plot twists that a Hollywood production would throw away in favor of a straight up action flick.

However I don't think it should be some big Hollywood production as I don't think the exposition heavy action movie concept of Metal Gear will translate well to main stream audiences. The ideal Metal Gear movie IMO would be something along the lines of the Resident Evil Degeneration (I think?) CGI flick released a couple of years ago. Although somewhat cheesy that flick captured the game's feel far better then any of the mainstream RE adaptations, not only in familiar characters but in tone as well and really felt like it could of been an RE game. The big budget RE movies simply don't.

I mean hell remember when the Uncharted movie was being discussed and they had written it into:
    "This idea really turns me on that there's a family that's a force to be reckoned with in the world of international art and antiquities ... [a family] that deals with heads of state and heads of museums and metes out justice," he said.
    Staring Marky Mark!

Outside of that Ground Zero(es) looks great and I cant wait. I'm glad were getting what looks to be a Peace Walker sequel, probably my second favorite game in the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have absolute certainty that this movie will suck. They will somehow have to connect it to the plot of the games and well....it just won't end well. One site made a suggestion that they should loosely follow the plot of the first game since thats the least oddest of the bunch. Beyond that they can throw in a few nods to 2-4 by way of fan service. But still, this is another game that would be better off being released as an animated movie.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely think that Kojima has to be involved in some capacity, but the I hope the movie turns out to be a good one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've always thought Metal Gear Solid would make a great movie if they just stick to the source material. The game is already so cinematic..

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I disagree, I think it has to be written by Kojima or at least someone who understands the games for all of the quirkiness and radical plot twists that a Hollywood production would throw away in favor of a straight up action flick.
    For better or worse, the games' writing seems well aware that it's a video game, hence how tongue in cheek it can be. That probably won't convert too well to film. Different mediums, different expectations, different rules.