After a long wait I finally got my auction Sega CDX in the mail today. Seller described as half working, the Sega CD part did not load games. It was dusty so the first step was to give it a good cleaning. After my cleaning I powered it up for the first time using Van Halen's 1984 and some fresh AAs to see how it performed. I had a little bit of early success, the first track played wonderfully for 33 seconds! Very cool! I am still searching for a $10 or under AC adapter (thread pimping). I have an A/V cable and controller sitting around already along with some known good Sega CD games.

Anyhow, what got me started down this road was a YouTube video by a console repair hobbyist. On one of his videos, he bought a Sega CDX and mentioned how he lifted up the lip of the CD assembly and was able to calibrate the laser using a small screwdriver and a visible pot. This is my next step. Is there a tutorial online somewhere, or is this completely undocumented?

I'll be using legitimate pressed CDs and game discs (no CDR media in my consoles).