Thread: In Need of Some Game Room Help

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default In Need of Some Game Room Help

Hello everyone,

I've recently upgraded to a nice 27-inch Sony Trinitron as a part of a plan to finally get my game room ready to go. However, I've run into some obstacles that I could use some advice on.

First, can anyone recommend a good TV stand or where to find one? Most fo the ones I run across are for LCDs, not CRTs. It could be a corner cabinet or otherwise. I've been leaning a bit towards a corner cabinet, but it isn't a necessity.

Second, I am in need of some serious shelving-for my systems. Preferably nothing too expensive. Really, I'd just like some shelves that can fit 1-2 systems per shelf, so not very wide. I'd rather have 2-3 slim shelves than one wide shelf-I just feel like it looks better. I've seen the kind of thing I'm looking for in numerous home theater setups, and in ads such as this one:

It doesn't have to be those types of shelves, or even shelves at all; a cabinet will do the trick. But I am looking for soemthing with that type of aesthetic to it.

If anybody can recommend where to find items such as these for a decent price (or even an alternative, such as what you use for your setup), please post it here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I believe that type of shelf would be referred to as a component rack. Use that term for your searches and see what you find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally used an old entertainment center I'd put in the garage since I upgraded. It was rated for 250 lbs on the top but my CRT is a 32" and only around 80lbs. I reinforced everything with additional braces and wood glue just to be sure though.

What I was seriously considering before I went that route though was a flexi rack. It's normally used by audiophiles for AV components and is nice because the shelves are on threaded rods and allow you to move them for whatever spacing you want.

I will note though, make sure you calculate any clearance you might need to get the carts/CDs easily in and out of your systems. Without that your setup can look great but be a pain in the ass to actually use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

One day I plan on getting one of these for my game room.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086/

8+ systems on the shelves, and more on the left and right of the TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Craigslist is chock-full of people trying to unload tv stands made for CRT's. If you want to go for authenticity, you could probably find a nice giant one with that stupid beigey walnutty finish that was so popular during the 90's.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    I've recently upgraded to a nice 27-inch Sony Trinitron as a part of a plan to finally get my game room ready to go. However, I've run into some obstacles that I could use some advice on.

First, can anyone recommend a good TV stand or where to find one? Most fo the ones I run across are for LCDs, not CRTs. It could be a corner cabinet or otherwise. I've been leaning a bit towards a corner cabinet, but it isn't a necessity.

Second, I am in need of some serious shelving-for my systems. Preferably nothing too expensive. Really, I'd just like some shelves that can fit 1-2 systems per shelf, so not very wide. I'd rather have 2-3 slim shelves than one wide shelf-I just feel like it looks better.
    Congrats on the Sony CRT! You are correct, newer TV stands are designed for lighter LCDs. Ask the Sales Associate if you can sit on the floor display before buying. Not kidding, the easiest way to confirm if it will "pass" the weight requirements for your Tube TV. You can also easily add a center support if you come across a stand you like that might not hold the weight of the tube.

As for the shelve for consoles, I keep mine on the table by the couch within reach, no need to get up every time I want to try a different game.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    I remember entering that contest years ago. Sadly I didn't win.

Check out ikea. That store got nice stuff or hit up your goodwills and other thrifts stores. I usually see old stands for cheap there.
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got an IKEA Magicker TV stand a few yrs back, been to the local IKEA 2x recently & didn't see it anywhere.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I entered that contest too, and like pretty much nearly everybody else I eventually dropped out of it/forgot to send the monthly form in and made myself ineligible.

Insert Coin (Level 0) scaleworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    Craigslist is chock-full of people trying to unload tv stands made for CRT's. If you want to go for authenticity, you could probably find a nice giant one with that stupid beigey walnutty finish that was so popular during the 90's.
    like this even better... http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/3249223819.html
    Game on!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, here's a thread about that "Win the ultimate gaming rig" contest/scam

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?155198