Thread: Help me ID a 'video game?' 'console?' from my ancient youth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help me ID a 'video game?' 'console?' from my ancient youth.

Okay, this has been bugging the hell out of me for ages, and maybe the Retro Gaming collector's collective can finally solve this mystery for me.

When I was very young, I had this video game console. I know it was a console, because it hooked up to the TV. All I can remember for semi-certain is that its controllers were (probably) permanently attached to the console, it had soft push buttons on the console itself (perhaps a whole keyboard?), it had some built in games of which most had the system's robot mascot as a recurring theme. I don't recall if it had additional game carts. I believe it was meant to be an early learning toy, as I recall its games had an educational bent to them.

Timeline wise, I would have had it sometime between 1983 (my birth) and 1989 (when I got my NES). So I would have been 6 or younger, which explains why my memories are so hazy.

I'm sorry I can't really think of more details. Or even any solid details. I know I had this thing, and I have never seen a reference to it ANYWHERE online in all my years. And it has been driving me crazy about just what the heck it was. Or if it was all just a strange dream.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Fistful Of Diamonds Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    killingkirby

Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  8.1 KB
    Fairchild Channel F
    Maybe?
    Im Not Sure
    Good Luck,
    KIRBZ

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post
    They'll digest what they can and vomit up bones/undigestible parts on trees or ground. They said we should look for white puke spots on trees or ground nearby. I have better things to do than look for owl barf so, needless to say, I haven't been checking things out.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Okay, this has been bugging the hell out of me for ages, and maybe the Retro Gaming collector's collective can finally solve this mystery for me.

When I was very young, I had this video game console. I know it was a console, because it hooked up to the TV. All I can remember for semi-certain is that its controllers were (probably) permanently attached to the console, it had soft push buttons on the console itself (perhaps a whole keyboard?), it had some built in games of which most had the system's robot mascot as a recurring theme. I don't recall if it had additional game carts. I believe it was meant to be an early learning toy, as I recall its games had an educational bent to them.

Timeline wise, I would have had it sometime between 1983 (my birth) and 1989 (when I got my NES). So I would have been 6 or younger, which explains why my memories are so hazy.

I'm sorry I can't really think of more details. Or even any solid details. I know I had this thing, and I have never seen a reference to it ANYWHERE online in all my years. And it has been driving me crazy about just what the heck it was. Or if it was all just a strange dream.
    Odyssey 2?

Bally Astrocade?

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-08-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Sounds like the Odyssey 2 yes, although that system had no built in game. Either that or some kind of Fisher Price contraption.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BOOM! It was the VTech Socrates! I'd recognize that robot any where!

Thank you! Thank you!

The system actually appears to be rare, now I'm pissed that I don't have it any more.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They had one of those Socrates things setting in a Salvation Army near me for close to four months recently. It was priced around $10, but I continually passed on it. Someone eventually must have thought it was worth something because it is no longer there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Damn David, that's impressive!!! You're the man!!!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Damn David, that's impressive!!! You're the man!!!
    Yeah, no kidding! Well done. I knew it must have been one of those edutainment type computers, but I would never have remembered the name of one, let alone nail it right off like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Thanks. Remember, some of these obscure home computers are my shtick.

I've come across a VTech Socrates here and there, boxed, but they're usually filthy as all get out due to being relegated to a garage or barn or whatever. Occasionally the keyboard / controller dock is missing. There really isn't much use for one and because there's so little to do with them they really aren't valuable or desirable. Also while it doesn't look it, these systems weigh a ton for their size. Once you factor that in they become a hassle to get rid of once the novelty wears off. I've seen them at regular swap meets, yard sales, and electronics salvage markets so I'd assume they were distributed in decent numbers or at least there were enough of them sitting in warehouses.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That robot reminds me of the character from VTech's later children's computers from the 90's.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Those systems can't be all that rare, I tend to come across them around once a year. I almost never find any games for it, though. I guess now that I've got a system in storage I should keep my eye out for cartridges.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    They had one of those Socrates things setting in a Salvation Army near me for close to four months recently. It was priced around $10, but I continually passed on it. Someone eventually must have thought it was worth something because it is no longer there.
    Or it was thrown in the trash, which is where I would have thrown it. Glad I was too old to have been given the misfortune of having to use that thing. Yuck. Calling it a video game console IMO is a stretch.

Ebay check, you can buy one for 40 bucks complete in the box, like new. Nice job remembering that David. I didn't know V-Tech made anything other than cheap/defective phones.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Yea me too. Saw one in a Value Village a couple of years back, I think also at $10. Never bought it and I saw it sitting there for a while. Must have sold eventually or else it was "recycled"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    I remember doing some research on the Tomy Tutor when trying to find some references to a Tandy Color Computer cart I have called "Don Pan". Interesting little system.