Thread: Nintendo Power Bonus Issues

Insert Coin (Level 0) Johnny Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo Power Bonus Issues

Hey everyone, I apologize in advance if this has already been posted and I think it has, but I've recently been collecting back issues of Nintendo Power. I use to have a subscription from 95-98 and unfortunately, after I moved out, my parents threw them out, along with my Earthbound box and players guide. What I was wondering is which issues were bonus issues and what was included? Mainly just the bonus issues up to 1996, and I already have the bonus issue with The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse on the cover so I know what came with it. I think the Mega Man X issue with a silver cover had something in it and maybe the 50th issue with the Links Awakening cover did too. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I missed the Mega Man X issue. That's what happens when you send in your subscription card too late!

The January 95 issue had a thick glow-in-the dark cover (though it was nothing more interesting than the number 95). January 96 was just kind of fold-out.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like the controller and Gameboy decals that came with the Mickey Mouse cover bonus issue. Anyone know if they made any other controller decals and included them in any other issues?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I thought it was only the January issues that had subscriber-only bonus content. Definitely started with the Jan '93 issue, as that was one of the features Nintendo advertised for the Super Power Club or whatever it was when it was launched in late '92 (that also included a few coupons a year to save money on a featured SNES, NES and Game Boy game. And later the Super Power Supplies catalog (selling stuff like T-shirts, hats, player's guides, or the StarFox weekend carts... or a $50 Zelda pen. :P ), along with occasional oppertunity to win stamps to use as discounts on stuff from said catalog. I think the Nintendo Power Challenge trading cards were also a subscriber premium.)
    No idea how long it continued.

First would be #44 (January 1993) Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse. I think it had a Mario Paint mini-strategy guide and an extended codes section (or maybe that was the next year?)
    January 1994 was Mega Man X.
    January 1995 (#68) was Adventures of Batman & Robin. I remember that one had a T-shirt iron-on image of the Donkey Kong Country boxart.

That was the only bonus issues I know of, since that's when my subscription ran. But I no longer have those as my parents made me toss most of my magazine collection out as a kid.

I think the only bonus to come with Link's Awakening was a Nintendo Power Index that listed all the games featured in the first 50 issues of NP, so you could find which ones held codes, hints, etc. They gave the first one free to subscribers but sold extra copies (as well as updates every 10 issues or so).
    The other bonus I remember is that #67 (December 1994, Earthworm Jim) originally included a free copy of the Super Game Boy Player's Guide, which I recall was before Nintendo started to bundle it with the SGB itself. (the SGB was first released in a fairly normal-sized game box before it was repackaged in a big box with the guide)
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 09-09-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Yeah, when I started collecting back issues the first one I got was issue #44 with Mickey Mouse on the cover. The one I got has the Mario Paint mini-guide, Controller Decals , and at one time it had the Starfox Arwing model, but whoever I bought it from must have taken it out. It may have the trading cards also, I would have to look.
    I also have a few non-bonus issues that have the trading cards.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a special edition that was given out at theaters showing "The Wizard."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think those were called Pocket Power, I may be wrong though.
    I also just received a lot of 17 issues of Nintendo Power that I won on eBay.
    In the lot was the 95 bonus issue, it had a glow in the dark cover and a DKC
    iron on.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an iron-on T-shirt decal for the Super Nintendo game Street Racer. It was in a pile of Nintendo Powers that I bought from a friend and he said it was included with an issue, but I don't know which issue that was. Anybody know?

I also have a six volume run of mini Pokemon comic books that came with Nintendo Powers. Again, they are packed away and I'm not sure what era they are from, but they look like they came out during the mid to late 90s. Ahg, I need to dig them out. Another regular issue also came with a Pokemon sticker sheet with like 80 stamp sized Pokemon stickers...but I can't remember from when.
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!