Thread: Game/theatre room ideas

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game/theatre room ideas

Okay, in the next few months I'm going to start finishing my basement. One of the things I'll be putting in is a dedicated theatre/room of doom. Now, I can't go nuts and put in 20k worth of electronics like on MTV cribs, but it will be pretty sweet once it's done. I'm looking for ideas as to things I may not have thought of yet or things that others would like to have to see if maybe it's not something I'd like... At this point I'm basically open to nearly anything since the area is bare cement at the moment. What I have so far is a decision on whether to try and get a big standard def tv (approx 60") or try and find a lower end projector, as well as different options for a bar/keg fridge/something so I don't have to keep going upstairs for beer.

Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did a lot of research on front projectors because I'm going to pick one up. I think you can't go wrong with an Infocus X1 and a Da-Lite screen, which would run you around 1100 bucks for the projector and an 84" screen. As long as you can control light in the room (projectors really need to be used in quite dark rooms), you'll have an HDTV resoultion 84" ridiculously awesome TV. Throw in some 5.1 (<500$) and you'll have an awesome setup.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This one here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32862

Any idea on how gaming is over that? I've heard all kinds of opinions on gaming over a projector...

EDIT: The desc on that projector says it has component in via svideo adapter? Does that mean you have to downgrade the signal to svideo in order to use the thing? That's odd...
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude... Just turn it into a Hot Chicks Room.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You bring the hot chicks, I'll turn my house into a hot chicks house.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

But I'm afraid that since the hot chicks room was installed in the mid 80's, some of the hot chicks aren't so hot anymore, but you can always replace them.

*stares into bucket of truth*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, let's not digress from my request for suggestions/ideas!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    I did a lot of research on front projectors because I'm going to pick one up. I think you can't go wrong with an Infocus X1 and a Da-Lite screen, which would run you around 1100 bucks for the projector and an 84" screen. As long as you can control light in the room (projectors really need to be used in quite dark rooms), you'll have an HDTV resoultion 84" ridiculously awesome TV. Throw in some 5.1 (<500$) and you'll have an awesome setup.

dlp projectors at that price have poor contrast between light and dark, and that projector cant even come close to projecting an HD source.. after all, its resolution is only 800x600 in the 4:3 mode... it will be even less if you use it in widescreen mode,plus you will get the rainbow color fringing, which in my opinion is highly annoying.

willie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    This one here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32862

Any idea on how gaming is over that? I've heard all kinds of opinions on gaming over a projector...

EDIT: The desc on that projector says it has component in via svideo adapter? Does that mean you have to downgrade the signal to svideo in order to use the thing? That's odd...
    i dont think gaming over a projector is that great... if you have a very good projector then it definetely could be intense.. the digital projectors just dont do it for me, it doesnt look exactly right and some games dont sseem to respond right... thats just my opinion, you may feel differently.

w

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, then a question occurs: do gun games work when using a projector? Those are my favorite games and if I can't play HOTD on it, I don't want it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no, gun games will not work

willie

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well then, if gun games will not work, then it's not for me. How about with projection TVs? Do gun games work with those?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When i was looking for a TV I looked at some projectors for fun and the one conclusion I got for that was

CHEAP = CRAP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Well then, if gun games will not work, then it's not for me. How about with projection TVs? Do gun games work with those?
    If you're using a Guncon2, check out this page for display incompatibility:

http://www.namco.com/support/guncon.html

Scroll down after the warnings and you'll find a list of TV's that are not compatible or have specific issues.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gun games don't work on LCD, projectors or plasma - sad, huh?

As for the Infocus X1, the comment on its HD is a little off. It's not enough projection for full 1920x1200 HDTV (but then, no TV is unless you're dropping 20 g's). However, DVD's run in NTSC at 720-480, so the resolution on the X1 can show DVD's in their full glory (as well as most videogames - only a few games like Enter the Matrix even go to 1080i, let alone any higher rez).

As far as contrast, the reason I'm getting the X1 is because it has incredible contrast for DLP combined with very little pixelation (which is common on LCD projectors). It's considered the first DLP under 2 grand to be worth buying (it was selling for 1600 only a few months ago) - here's one(review, though there are many more on the internet.

You can do component input on it, but it comes with an S-Video cable.

The other cool thing with this projector is its being sold very widely, so you can probably go see it for yourself at your local Best Buy or Circuit City (both carry it). This way you can see if your eyes see "rainbows" (DLP projectors tend to show "rainbow" effects on parts of the screen to some people, but this usually only happens when you're eyes are tired or when you're sitting too close to the screen).

If you're into gun games, there are a lot of great TV's, though none quite so big - the Sony WEGA and the Toshiba widescreens are both nice and around 1500 at 42". Though once I get my X1 installed, I'll be playing Halo 4-player split screen with EACH SCREEN at 42". Mwahaha :-).

Kev

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah... it will be quite a while before I buy any of the hardware, really. I'm still in the very, very early planning stages. I'm surprised so few people chimed in with ideas of things that they would like to see in a game room.