Thread: Open Video System Design Ideas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Open Video System Design Ideas

(The logo above is optimized for dark backgrounds, light background optimized version here.)

Okay, so first let me explain a bit what this is about.
    A little while ago, me and a friend came up with an idea for a "modernized" video arcade. Given that the traditional arcade is all but extinct, or subsumed into "barcades" and the like, we thought that there must be a way for someone to, if not make money on it, at least use the basic idea of an arcade in a positive way.
    Our idea basically makes use of the arcade's largely forgotten role as a social environment; a sort of pint-sized social condenser without too much of the expensive architecture. Use the arcade machines as a way to draw people inside, and organize the space so that it works as a hang-out and meeting place as well. Ideally, such a place could become a gathering point for a community, while at the same time preserving the arcade experience at least in part.
    You might also have other stuff there; my friend and I had the idea for a cold sandwich counter or soda fountain, but the main idea would be the arcade, more or less.

Anyway, as we talked about it, it readily became apparent that owning and operating arcade machines would be a VERY expensive proposition. Besides the initial cost of purchasing one, and especially as the technology ages, simple maintenance and upkeep is quickly becoming difficult and costly. There's no way a non-profit or co-op, as we envisioned this being, could afford to keep these machines running.
    So I had an idea.

Basically, the concept for the Open Video System (OVS) is a glorified MAME box, and before you shake your head, I HAVE seen these set up in certain arcades lately as free-to-play machines. While this isn't a bad place to start, I've had some other ideas.
    The OVS would use PC architecture, as a MAME cab does, but while it could be used to host MAME, it could also be set up with working coin slots for specially made games. This is pretty straightforward, and I don't think it'll be too terribly hard to implement once I can get some original games made. A PC, after all, is a PC.
    The advantage of using PC architecture in an arcade box should be obvious; it's cheap, versatile and easy for anyone to program games for.
    What I'm looking for help with is cabinet design.

The OVS project's goal is to design a cheap, easy to build and fairly sturdy arcade cabinet; we are not yet much worried about what goes inside, though on that subject I should say that the technology used in the monitor and controls should be CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION, in order to ensure it is easy to get a hold of.
    Requirements for the design of the cabinet itself:

1 - It must be sturdy enough for public use.
    2 - It must use readily available, low-cost materials in its construction. Use of RECYCLED materials is encouraged. My mom had the idea of using parts of old wooden cargo pallets to build the frame.
    3 - Interior must be readily accessible for maintenance and the like, with room for at least a standard-size upright computer tower with proper ventilation. Also, storage space for a keyboard and mouse would be ideal.
    4 - Must have a minimal footprint! This should be something you could stand up against a wall in a wide hallway, if you had to.
    5 - Must have a control panel which can support two players. Ideally, should be removable or modular to allow installation of different panels with different button and control layouts.

Now, I have looked around the internet, and have seen some pretty good ideas which would be nice to incorporate. Here are a couple I thought I'd share:
    Waste of Talent: Have a look at the Arcade section for a look at the cab this guy built. The design he came up with for the controls is, I think, truly inspired.
    Arkeg: Yes, it's an arcade cab with a beer tap in it. However, the real reason I like it is its VERY shallow form-factor. While I realize it uses an LCD monitor, which the purists out there would very much dislike I imagine, bear in mind that we're using tech which is current and easy to buy NEW or used. Anyway, this thing's footprint is certainly something to emulate.

Anyway, that's all the input I'll give for now. I'd like to know what ideas you might have to contribute to this project! If this goes well, I'll be making the finalized plans available for free, and if I use your idea, I'll try to credit you!
    Last edited by Auto-Fox; 09-15-2012 at 01:26 PM.