Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have a soft spot for the Sega CD?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone else have a soft spot for the Sega CD?

I noticed it is right near the 20 year launch date for the Sega CD in North America, and no threads honoring the Sega CD. I have to fix that!

I fondly remember two times I got to play a unit back when they were new. I got to see the attract and one round of Blackhole Assault on the model 1 unit, and I actually convinced my parents to go through the hassle of renting a model 2 from a Blockbuster along with Sonic CD, Silpheed, and Tomcat Alley. I could never afford any of the units until I found a used one in a thrift store in 1997 for $40. I took the chance that it still worked, and it did! Since then I've been a collector whenever I stumbled across any of the games. It has had an undeserved reputation follow it for a long time, but I realized long ago that it was the first CD based console for most and it ruled the market for CD games for 3 years until 1995.

I have found it is a very difficult system to collect. Most of the model 1 units are dead now; the gameshop owner I bought mine from guesses only 1/10 he has received in trade have worked. Model 2 units are still trucking along. X'eye units seem to have lasted fairly well, but are very hard to find. Service Merchandise was the only store that I had X'Eye units back then in my area. My favorite variation is the Sega CDX, which everyone else likes too; they also seem to have the weakest laser. I just finished rebuilding a half dead one with a new laser and calibrated as best as I can, it still skips around on anything but a pristine scratchless disc. I don't think the Sega CD has error correction.

Sega CD games also seem to be magnets for damage. I've seen so many Sega CD games with pinholes of light problems, which are unrepairable. Sol-Feace is the worst for this problem. I've just had to accept that some of my games will have audio pops or bad intro movies; I would like to hear from other collectors out there: do you keep 'em or settle for small collections or empty wallets? I bought some of them as placeholders, but as the years have gone by, they have just become permanent fixtures that don't bother me too much. A large percentage of my collection has gotten to know CD resurfacers. The cardboard boxed games I've found have only been the manual and game at best, and good 'crystal' cases are difficult to find.

I've assembled most of the library, I think one day I may try to get all of them except the Good Deal Games releases. The library, when the FMV games are ignored, is actaully very good. For me, at least, the Sega CD really did deliver the Next Level in gaming. Silpheed today seems like a window into the 32-bit years, Road Rash had the first licensed soundtrack, Soul Star had the best soundtrack, Snatcher had the best atmosphere, Keio Flying Squadron had the best humor, and Lunar 2 EB is easily one of the best 16-bit RPGs. And hey, in closing I actually like Sonic CD's USA soundtrack.

Anyone else have some thoughts? I'll enjoy reading 'em.
    Last edited by ifkz; 09-16-2012 at 12:48 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

You're not the only one, man.

It honestly ticks me off what an undeserved bad rap the Sega CD gets, especially from sources such as the AVGN, who have never played anything but the FMV garbage (some of it was kinda good, actually). I'm rebuilding my collection right now (only a few months ago got ahold of the two Lunar games) and at the same time discovering classics I missed, such as Silpheed.

It kind of saddens me, really, that I never owned a Sega CD as a kid. Like you I was only able to afford them due to flea markets and pawn shops, so I missed a lot of games back when they were in their prime (and reasonably priced). As a kid, I actually saw a store that had the second Lunar game, but I didn't buy it simply for want of havng the system it goes to. Of course now I have two copies of Lunar 1 (one is scratched and skips a lot--I don't see any pinpricks but buffering the game didn't help) and one of Lunar II, so it all kind of worked out. But just think... instead of getting Kefka's laugh stuck in my head as a child, I could've been FIGHTING! Through the DARKNESS! All is EVIL still we must press on!

It also quite saddens me that the Sega CD didn't take off and isn't fondly remembered these days. I think the system did--and still does--have a store of hidden potential that has yet to be tapped into. It gave the Genesis capabilities that almost matched the SNES, and the CD storage format offers limitless possibilities. We've got indie devs making PC Engine games, so come on let's get cracking with the Sega CD!

... I have one question: if I burned a Genesis ROM to a CD, would it play in the Sega CD?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are the Lunar games good/rare? They were within reach of me last week when I picked up my Sega CD score, but I ran out of cash. Weren't they on the PS1 as well?

I'm actually looking for a grocery list of good/rare Sega CD games to find on my Flea Market adventures. So far I have a loose copy of Dark Wizard (came inside my Model 1 Sega CD. I think I left the case behind with the dude's collection. Cause I think I recall a Dark Wizard case in his game pile) which looks to be some kind of fantasy/tactics game with some kinda neat animated cutscenes.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Yeah i have a soft spot for the sega-cd as well for it's sprites based games any ways.When i got a genesis again it came with a model 2 scd.It's style of games do remind of the turbo-cd,redbook audio,cut scenes and voice acting as well.When i think of good games for the sega-cd it's these titles

Lunar TSSS&EB
    Sonic CD
    Popful Mail
    Shining Force CD:I need that one again.
    Keio Flying Squadron
    Robo Aleste
    Final Fight CD
    Earth Worm Jim Special Edition:Another i need.....
    Snatcher:Another i need dunno it's so expensive now....

Just to name a few i'd say the scd is underrated but it's a shame.Mostly because third pratys wasted so much time making fmv for it.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 09-16-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was always interested in Sega CD games, after I became fascinated with the Pioneer Laseractive. One of the modules available for it would let you play Sega CD and Genesis games, and that sounded pretty cool to me, so when I was able to buy a floor model after they were discontinued at the only store around here that carried them, I jumped at the chance. When the store eventually went out of business they cleared their backrooms of anything that would sell, which included the Mega LD Module (Sega CD) for the Laseractive for something like $20. And by that time the Sega CD was on its way out, so I was able to pick up games fairly cheap. I paid $12.50 for my Keio Flying Squadron at Best Buy when they were trying to clearance them out. Paid $5 for Rise of the Dragon at the same store.

I've always liked the system, actually better than I liked the Genesis. But then I've always been a sucker for the underdog game machines.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Are the Lunar games good/rare? They were within reach of me last week when I picked up my Sega CD score, but I ran out of cash. Weren't they on the PS1 as well?
    The PS1 versions are reimaginings. They have the basic story at the core, but the soundtrack, actual plot progression, locations you visit and even some of the game mechanics are completely different. They almost have to be considered all new games.

Both the PS1 and Sega CD versions are hard to find, so if you want them you should get them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

Both the PS1 and Sega CD versions are hard to find, so if you want them you should get them.
    Oh god damn it. I just checked E-bay. I passed on about a $150+ worth of complete-in-box Lunar for about $30. This is why I need to know more about Sega CD!
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're not the only one, man.
    ... I have one question: if I burned a Genesis ROM to a CD, would it play in the Sega CD?
    I think you have to program a few things before it will work since it's a different architecture, it should thou since they did Genesis/MegaDrive ports that were on the Sega CD like the Sega Classics Collection and a homebrew Sonic Megamix was a Genesis/MegaDrive game as well.

Ask for the Sega CD, I do have a soft spot for it, mine is one of the oldest, the manufacturing date is September 1992 and it's a model 1 so happy 20 years to it. Games, there's many on the Sega CD, I mean all are unique in their way. Sonic CD is up there with my favorite Sonic games and one of the best in my opinion, games like Panic! are simple point and click but give you a few laughs along the way. Honestly I see a few games as miniature laserdisc type games with full motion video. Are they perfect, no, but they have a unique appeal to them.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my Sega/Mega CD and have 25-30 games for it. Only thing I'm missing that I want is Keio Flying Squadron. The perception that Sega CD stunk was helped a lot by the games Sega decided to market. Yes, the grainy FMV was pretty amazing in commercials 20 years, but most of those quick time event games are shallow. The funniest thing about the mainstream industry today is how they embraced QTEs years ago. It's strange since QTEs are generally looked upon as a cheap way to make gameplay more 'cinematic.' I actually have a couple FMV games like Time Gal and Road Avenger and think they're fun for what they are, but the high price and perception that all Sega CD offered was shitty FMV games doomed it.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

I don't have a soft spot for the Sega CD at all. Nope. My original model 2 from 1993 is stilling on a hard spot on a wooden shelf.

I like the thing overall, and always have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

The sega cd rates right up there for one of my favorite platforms. Yeah, there were more than a few stinker games for it, but that was more than offset by the high number of top tier games (especially RPGS) released for it (in light of the limited number of games released in the u.s.). I know people don't like the jewel cases for them much (given how easily damaged they can be) but no other platform impresses visually like a shelf (or shelves) of those blue spine labels lined up staring out at you. And I have to give a plug for my all time favorite game (on any system) - Dark Wizard.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I owned a Sega CD back when it was current. I only had three games for my Genesis, but I believe I had seven for the CD. My favorites were Dark Wizard and Lunar.

I also played a lot of Mortal Kombat, but most of that time was spent on loading screens! I was so excited for that game, but it turned out to be literally the Genesis version with redbook audio and a bit more frames of animation.

I actually enjoyed all the FMV games. Night Trap and that other one when you were in the hotel were fun. Even Sewer Shark was great. "Rat Breath" "Beach Bum"

I remember giving up on the Mansion of Hidden Souls game. I just couldn't get into it.

I had to restart Lunar twice due to my girlfriend's brother erasing all my saves! My Dark Wizard save was lost also.

I tried to hang on to the system until Lunar 2 released, but it was so delayed that I gave up and sold off the collection to my girlfriend's family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post

I had to restart Lunar twice due to my girlfriend's brother erasing all my saves! My Dark Wizard save was lost also.

I tried to hang on to the system until Lunar 2 released, but it was so delayed that I gave up and sold off the collection to my girlfriend's family.
    Hmm - I smell a conspiracy here. .... Just saying.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not me. Game library stunk for the most part and the hardware itself was shoddily built.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    Sega CD games also seem to be magnets for damage. I've seen so many Sega CD games with pinholes of light problems, which are unrepairable. Sol-Feace is the worst for this problem. I've just had to accept that some of my games will have audio pops or bad intro movies; I would like to hear from other collectors out there: do you keep 'em or settle for small collections or empty wallets? I bought some of them as placeholders, but as the years have gone by, they have just become permanent fixtures that don't bother me too much. A large percentage of my collection has gotten to know CD resurfacers. The cardboard boxed games I've found have only been the manual and game at best, and good 'crystal' cases are difficult to find.
    Every time I buy a Sega CD game, I make sure it does not have damage to the reflective layer. When I get home I make a copy and stash the original away, using the copy to play. If it gets killed, so what? Make another one.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega-CD library has so many single great games worth owning the hardware for, even though the library is relatively small compared to mainstream consoles. Way too many good games to list.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've always loved the Sega CD. I owned one after the model 2 came out and still own it today. I even liked the FMV game like sewer shark, night trap, and corpse killer. I also loved Eternal Champions CD as well as Sonic CD and even the point and click game willy beamish. I try to pick up whatever I don't already own for the system when i find them for the right price. The rarest game I have right now for it is Lords of Thunder, which is a great shmup.

I've honestly never had anything bad to say about the system and I wish it could have taken of better than it did.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    I think you have to program a few things before it will work since it's a different architecture, it should thou since they did Genesis/MegaDrive ports that were on the Sega CD like the Sega Classics Collection and a homebrew Sonic Megamix was a Genesis/MegaDrive game as well.
    Lack of RAM would be a big problem. At least, I assume that's why Golden Axe on the 4-in-1 disc can't even support 2 player. And it's not like you could just load part of the game then more later as needed like it would do with actual CD games.

But in any case, trying to figure out how to get it to load such a thing from disc would be such an effort you'd really be better off getting some sort of flashcart (or sticking to emulators) rather than bothering to attempt such a thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega CD is great. I currently have 59 games for it, with another 11 on my want list. Way underrated. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of FMV games. A few of them are perfectly decent games IMO (Night Trap, Time Gal). Most aren't, but they don't detract from the other great games for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know very little about the Sega CD but I've actually thought about starting to collect for it. What's the size of the total library? Around 100 or so?
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!