Thread: Sega CDX questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Default Sega CDX questions

Hey Sega fans, I've been a Sega CD fan for a while, in fact of the systems I collect for, I have a soft spot for the Sega CD. Though I do get tired of having to hook up the Genesis and CD everytime I want to play. I've been interested in getting a CDX for a while but don't know too much about it. Is it worth getting? I know they're a bit pricey, I've seen them between $80 and $120. Are there any known probems? Anything I should look for when buying? Any advice or info would appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Big problem is difficulty to work on. Obviously packed so tight it's a repair job for very few. Do not open the CDX under normal circumstances.
    Import mods will be difficult too. Region wise it defaults American setting as expected. English cart language, 60hz, and US region CD.

Another issue is its power supply. CDX included a now-very-rare 1.5 amp adapter. Incorrect power is said to have damaged many of these consoles.

Thanks to having RGB output, 32X works. Except fits unstable... (no spacer was released)
    Power Base Converter is supported. You can't open the CD door SMS games don't use anyway.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The video is noticeably weaker from a CDX. There is an amp mod to correct this, but it looks tricky.

CDX systems are almost always sold with the wrong AC adapter. The plug in the system fits the same as Genesis 2 / Game Gear... but don't use that one. When I first got my CDX, I thought it was breaking down. Once I switched to the right AC adapter, it was fine. Although the official CDX AC adapter is rare, it's not hard to get a generic equivalent. You can also use an X'Eye adapter, they're the same.

I don't really like using the Power Base Converter with it. It works, but the back of it presses against the AC plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I don't really like using the Power Base Converter with it. It works, but the back of it presses against the AC plug.
    Although I doubt it's something most people would like to do, I'm pretty sure you can hack away the back of the Power Base Converter so that it doesn't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    Although I doubt it's something most people would like to do, I'm pretty sure you can hack away the back of the Power Base Converter so that it doesn't do that.
    Or use a Honey Bee converter just to raise the Power Base Converter above the console. The Honey Bee is just a bridge designed to raise Japanese carts above the cart slot as they won't fit otherwise, there's nothing else to this converter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I have owned every single genesis system, and the cdx is my favorite (on par with the X"eye... )if you can get it for 120$ its a steal, considering that nowadays a genesis 2 with sega cd 2 goes for around 160$. And you only need one power supply for cdX, I hate having 2 huge blocks in my powerbar. The model one sega cd is very cool looking, but it is also very slow so for me this is the way to go for sega cd. The image is also better than my model 1 altered beast (a lot of rainbow artifacts) and same as model 2. Mine is still working perfectly and i played a lot on it, so pick one up and order a copy of Pier Solar, the only sega genesis game using cartridge and sega cd at the same time!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also just got a real urge to get a CDX so here is what I found about trying to get one DIRT CHEAP in 2012:
    The cheapest units are running $60 to $70 broken and have noticeable damage most of the time, like rust, or dents, or a cracked clear CD window on the top door that likely won't even close properly.

I bought mine known to have a bad sega cd part, loose but in good cosmetic shape for $75 shipped. The cheapest option for powering my cheapo system was a $6 PS2 slim adapter that's pumping out 9.2-9.3V instead of the 9.5V. It seems to work, but a proper non-OEM (retro game cave) adapter would cost $22.

My laser was dirty and bad. I threw another $14 at a new laser (make sure to remove the solder blob). Over the next few weeks, I spent many nights calibrating it, getting into the separate boards and soldering and re-soldering over ten times. Eventually the setup that became a good troubleshooting bench was to remove all of the boards and stack them (using the metal interior plate as a spacer) so it was the complete unit running on my desk, minus the main copper shield and outside case. From there I was able to mark and carefully tweak the pots, finding that the track offset was my biggest offender. In a week since all this work, it now runs great condition Sega CD games but still locks up at anything a normal Sega CD model 2 wouldn't like. At it's best it is just as good at reading as a Model 2, but no better. If you have a good condition collection, you're golden. If you are running backups, don't get them near this unit. It really is a lot like a mid-90's portable CD player, and I had to learn about this old technology to enact a so-far-so-good repair.

For everyone else (including me), I would just recommend putting some extra money towards a bundle that has an original AC adapter and is working okay. No telling how long my work will last (it's into week 2 a-okay). At this point, long past 1994, all systems are probably going to be weaker at reading Sega CDs. It's a great system, it's the coolest one ever made, but the more you use it, the more fragile the Sega CD side will become. It's also so cool/futuristic/and space saving that it will become your main system. You're going to be reaching for it whenever you want to play the Sega CD or Genesis.

Whatever you do, if the CD part gets bad, put it in a box until someone offers a repair service in the future. They are very rare and always in demand among Sega/Genesis/32X/Sega CD collectors; people that get them usually never give them back up. Just don't be ultra cheap in the way that I did, it is some trouble to get these back in spec.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Definitely sounds like some pros and cons for the CDX. Though, just reminded the annoyance of having two ac adaptors plugged in. Not exactly the smallest of units. On the other hand, bases on your posts, it sounds like the CDX is a tad finicky, particular, maybe even fragile? I'm still condsidering one, but it sounds like it's worth trying to track down one in good shape.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I have owned every single genesis system, and the cdx is my favorite (on par with the X"eye... )if you can get it for 120$ its a steal, considering that nowadays a genesis 2 with sega cd 2 goes for around 160$. And you only need one power supply for cdX, I hate having 2 huge blocks in my powerbar. The model one sega cd is very cool looking, but it is also very slow so for me this is the way to go for sega cd. The image is also better than my model 1 altered beast (a lot of rainbow artifacts) and same as model 2. Mine is still working perfectly and i played a lot on it, so pick one up and order a copy of Pier Solar, the only sega genesis game using cartridge and sega cd at the same time!
    $160? They go for about $100 at most around here.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    I also just got a real urge to get a CDX so here is what I found about trying to get one DIRT CHEAP in 2012:
    The cheapest units are running $60 to $70 broken and have noticeable damage most of the time, like rust, or dents, or a cracked clear CD window on the top door that likely won't even close properly.

I bought mine known to have a bad sega cd part, loose but in good cosmetic shape for $75 shipped. The cheapest option for powering my cheapo system was a $6 PS2 slim adapter that's pumping out 9.2-9.3V instead of the 9.5V. It seems to work, but a proper non-OEM (retro game cave) adapter would cost $22.

My laser was dirty and bad. I threw another $14 at a new laser (make sure to remove the solder blob). Over the next few weeks, I spent many nights calibrating it, getting into the separate boards and soldering and re-soldering over ten times. Eventually the setup that became a good troubleshooting bench was to remove all of the boards and stack them (using the metal interior plate as a spacer) so it was the complete unit running on my desk, minus the main copper shield and outside case. From there I was able to mark and carefully tweak the pots, finding that the track offset was my biggest offender. In a week since all this work, it now runs great condition Sega CD games but still locks up at anything a normal Sega CD model 2 wouldn't like. At it's best it is just as good at reading as a Model 2, but no better. If you have a good condition collection, you're golden. If you are running backups, don't get them near this unit. It really is a lot like a mid-90's portable CD player, and I had to learn about this old technology to enact a so-far-so-good repair.

For everyone else (including me), I would just recommend putting some extra money towards a bundle that has an original AC adapter and is working okay. No telling how long my work will last (it's into week 2 a-okay). At this point, long past 1994, all systems are probably going to be weaker at reading Sega CDs. It's a great system, it's the coolest one ever made, but the more you use it, the more fragile the Sega CD side will become. It's also so cool/futuristic/and space saving that it will become your main system. You're going to be reaching for it whenever you want to play the Sega CD or Genesis.

Whatever you do, if the CD part gets bad, put it in a box until someone offers a repair service in the future. They are very rare and always in demand among Sega/Genesis/32X/Sega CD collectors; people that get them usually never give them back up. Just don't be ultra cheap in the way that I did, it is some trouble to get these back in spec.

That's going to cost you. I sold mine for $200 a few days ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230851115379

Granted mine was in damn near mint condition (one reason for selling it, I never wanted to use it) but getting a nice system with the factory power supply will cost you some change. If anyone really wants an "all in one" system, just buy an X'Eye. Same price range but more durable and easier to repair. Mine was purely a conversation/display item and it was only used a few times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Not sure if it is a big factor for you, but wanted to mention that the CDX will not play the Sega CD Jurassic Park (Freezes on first screen) or The Termintor (Freezes a bit of playing).

Probably not a big deal to most, but I love both games and would be sad if I couldn't play them.

The X'eye may not be as sexy looking as the CDX but overall it is the better system. Better video output (although marginal in my experiences) and compatible with the games the CDX won't play.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Not sure if it is a big factor for you, but wanted to mention that the CDX will not play the Sega CD Jurassic Park (Freezes on first screen) or The Termintor (Freezes a bit of playing).

Probably not a big deal to most, but I love both games and would be sad if I couldn't play them.

The X'eye may not be as sexy looking as the CDX but overall it is the better system. Better video output (although marginal in my experiences) and compatible with the games the CDX won't play.
    Hmm, never considered an X'eye before, but reading up on it, maybe it's the better choice for regular Sega CD playing. Do regular genesis controllers plug into the X'eye?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yes. Power Base Converter is what doesn't fit X'eye. CDX has a small advantage there.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can do like VACRMH suggested and hack off the back part of a PBC, and it will work with the X'Eye. Not sure if the Honey Bee converter trick works though.

The X'Eye is very solid. The only reason it's not my primary Genesis is because I prefer to use a pre-TMSS console, which is a pretty arcane and fanboyish consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

True. It's not worth spending more for one than an SMS anyway.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Well, I'm not too concerned about the power base. I have one, but mostly prefer playing SMS games on the Master System itself. Sounds like I'll be keeping an eye out for an X'eye, though if I find a deal on a CDX in good condition I'd still be interested. Thanks for the advice.