Thread: neo geo x gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

Default neo geo x gold

just last night i saw the ad on gamestop.com that the neo geo x gold system was coming out...making me very excited....however, i haven't actually seen whether or not you can play neo geo carts on it...i know it says something about a sd slot or something but can anyone shed some light?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Holy S*** I remember hearing about this, but i thought it was only a portable gaming device, not a bundle including a console and joystick!!
    http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/im.../newneogeo.htm
    looks awesome and I will be 200$ poorer

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Very cool! Love how they're doing a console as well! They didn't mention specifically if it will be compatible with AES or MVS carts or not. Hopefully it will play MVS, or be compatible with MVS adapters.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's a handheld device that will plug into a docking station (shaped like a Neo Geo AES console) with HDMI output and a separate joystick modeled after the old Neo Geo Home/AES joystick. It's not capable of playing AES/MVS or any other form of old SNK Neo Geo media. It basically plays ROMS. It's also not being manufactured or designed by SNK, it's being designed and manufactured by Blaze which has made some very crappy Sega branded handhelds previously. Tommo will distribute it in the US. Nobody knows if it will play any Neo Geo ROM like some other Blaze products or how much they will charge for games beyond the 20 included in the unit. Additional games are contained on SD cards and will be sold separately. Having said all that, the specs on the handheld are pretty good and assuming it does emulation ok and the build quality is decent (it's being manufactured in China and unfortunately, Blaze has a lousy quality reputation), it might be a neat unit to own once the price drops to a more reasonable level.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been following this a bit, and I'm still really not sure about how it works. The "console" thing is supposedly the dock. I don't think you can plug real carts into it, but the handheld might fit into the cart slot.

What bothers me is that they used a 16:9 screen on the handheld. I'd expect scaling issues.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

::shudders at the thought of trying to play a "portable" system with an MVS or AES cart sticking out of it::

Still appears to be interesting, I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I've been following this a bit, and I'm still really not sure about how it works. The "console" thing is supposedly the dock. I don't think you can plug real carts into it, but the handheld might fit into the cart slot.

What bothers me is that they used a 16:9 screen on the handheld. I'd expect scaling issues.
    I can say with 100% certainty that it doesn't play AES/MVS or NGP/NGPC carts in any way. The "console" is just a shell that opens in clamshell fashion and you place the handheld inside to output to the TV. The joystick itself appears to be a repurposed version of the stick they were selling for the PS3 in Japan a while back and the base is a little smaller than the original AES home joystick. The 16:9 screen is a major concern, but Tommo and Blaze are being very secretive about many details on the final product and have pulled down several promo videos that were posted a few weeks ago.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    ::shudders at the thought of trying to play a "portable" system with an MVS or AES cart sticking out of it::

Still appears to be interesting, I'll be keeping my eye on it.

and people complained about the size of the LYNX and Nomad back in the day
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

If they can make a high quality product, I can see this console becoming very rare and valuable in a couple of years, because I dont expect them to sell more than 100,000... neo geo is a very niche product for hardcore gamers, Mom and Dad wont buy this for little jimmy, especially at that price!
    It looks good, I want one!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    If they can make a high quality product, I can see this console becoming very rare and valuable in a couple of years, because I dont expect them to sell more than 100,000... neo geo is a very niche product for hardcore gamers, Mom and Dad wont buy this for little jimmy, especially at that price!
    It looks good, I want one!
    Unlikely. It's not produced by SNK and it's essentially just an emulator with the ability to play ROMS off SD cards. I see this declining in value over time rather than maintaining it's $200 launch price point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Unlikely. It's not produced by SNK and it's essentially just an emulator with the ability to play ROMS off SD cards. I see this declining in value over time rather than maintaining it's $200 launch price point.
    Generation Nex wasnt made by nintendo and its complete crap, but its very rare and still sells for more than its retail price... it looks good, even if its emulation (neo geo cartridge are still expensive) if its done right and feels like a quality SNK product this will be very sought for, but it wont sell very good at retail. Kids dont give a $#&* about this, they only care about call of duty! I think its a good idea they use roms, because they are very few neo geo carts in the wild, even on ebay and too expensive. So you can get the entire Neo Geo collection on something that plays and looks like the original with hdmi output, this is genius! If only they could do the same for sega and nintendo

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Generation Nex wasnt made by nintendo and its complete crap, but its very rare and still sells for more than its retail price... it looks good, even if its emulation (neo geo cartridge are still expensive) if its done right and feels like a quality SNK product this will be very sought for, but it wont sell very good at retail. Kids dont give a $#&* about this, they only care about call of duty! I think its a good idea they use roms, because they are very few neo geo carts in the wild, even on ebay and too expensive. So you can get the entire Neo Geo collection on something that plays and looks like the original with hdmi output, this is genius! If only they could do the same for sega and nintendo
    Generation Nex wasn't an emulator though. It was a clone of the NES with various improvements like wireless controllers and it played the majority of NES games. People want them because it improves in a lot of ways over the original NES. Nobody buys Generation NEX as a collectible or for it's rarity. This device is essentially a handheld emulator device that can be placed in a plastic adapter to output to the TV and played with an external joystick. I would have loved it if they simply reissued the Neo Geo AES hardware at lower cost using all the same components which are far cheaper today and sold multi-carts with it. Unfortunately, instead they created this mess of a device.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand how any NeoGeo fan could be excited for this, unless they actually enjoy paying a premium to play emulated ROMs at the wrong aspect ratio on a cheap chinese Linux handheld.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't understand how any NeoGeo fan could be excited for this, unless they actually enjoy paying a premium to play emulated ROMs at the wrong aspect ratio on a cheap chinese Linux handheld.
    I agree and yet there seem to be a strong number of people promoting this on Neo-geo.com.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    cheap chinese Linux handheld.
    It'll be emulating everything under the sun about a month after its release. Bet on it.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ this.

I'll buy one as long as the quality is decent. I'd wager that it's of decent quality with a price tag like that. We'll see...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'd be great if you could plug authentic neogeo joysticks into the base

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    ^^^ this.

I'll buy one as long as the quality is decent. I'd wager that it's of decent quality with a price tag like that. We'll see...
    I'd guess that its an embedded ARM system with a small amount of internal flash for the emulator and built-in ROMs. Being ARM and Linux, it should be easier than flup to modify. If the emulator itself is sub-par (or will not run... *ahem*... backups), then it won't take much effort to port a higher performance or more feature filled one on that system.

No, it probably won't be perfect but it beats trying to pry an AES out of its owner's cold, dead hands.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

well this is definitly depressing. i was so excited about possibling finally owning an AES at a halfway affordable price but if it doesn't play the original carts...i'm not biting....i would have loved to see it include the 20 built in games in ADDITION to playing the carts.......

still if the system was under $120 or so....i may would consider but i'm not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to play windjammers if it eventually gets released