Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emulators vs. Consoles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Emulators vs. Consoles

Hello all. So from what I gather here, most of you have the actual consoles and prefer to play your old games on the real deal, correct?

I'm on a budget and am spoiled by the plethora of games available over the internet for emulators. If I had the money, I'd try and get my hands on all of these original games, and more than a few consoles.

What do you prefer, use, and why?

(for me, it's emulators all around and a fast computer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer using real consoles and real games, but I also have emulators. There's nothing quite like using the real thing when playing. Emulation has helped me play just about every game I'd ever care to and allowed me to target the remaining physical games I intend to purchase. The main advantage for using emulation vs. real consoles for most people, besides the convenience, is that emulators support HDTVs and provide an array of filters you just don't have when using real consoles.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the real thing, but if I'm doing something like the Atari Age 5200 High Score Club and there's a game I don't own I'll play it on an emulator. The real hardware is part of the experience for me, and part of the fun. I like the click of a cartridge into the slot, seeing it on a real TV, using the original controllers, etc.

I do like using emulators for classic computer games mostly because the difference isn't as wide, but also so many of my old floppies have or are disintegrating it's not really worth collecting to me. It's much less practical for me to acquire classic computer software than video games - they aren't out there as much, and what is out there isn't as reliable.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

For me it really depends on what system is emulating what. Some systems are great to play on something like the Wii (including Neo Geo Pocket Color), others have acceptable gameplay on the DS or PSP like the original Game Boy stuff. When it comes to emulating on PC you really get a mixed bag chance on whether something will run perfectly or not. Some PC's have hiccups and others don't. I've had less problems on my older PC's running Windows XP than I've had on my newer PC running Windows 7. But my Windows 7 system is the only one I can use for emulators of more advanced systems. I've looked into fixing the stuttering once every minute and nothing works. Desktop computers have gotten really small and cheap these days. They aren't these gigantic towers anymore. I might get one to hook up next to my TV and use for nothing but games with a wireless mouse, gamepad and keyboard.

I think emulators are great for on the go. With their save states if you need to stop playing for a while you can save really quick then look up at what you need to. I've been doing a lot of gaming on the bus and at work in between tasks these days; usually NES games on my Nintendo DS R4 card. I used to use my PSP for this most of the time, but the DS has a longer battery life and doesn't need a case to protect the screen so it's been more convenient to use it instead. Smaller screen but is ok for my purposes.

I enjoy playing on real hardware when I can. But when it comes to games for older handhelds I like to play them on consoles rather than look at a non-backlit or blurry screen. Converters are great, but when none are available then it's emulation. When I have the chance I prefer burning or flashing games to the older systems rather than emulating because the experience is 100% accurate unless the particular game is not supported on the device due to having special chips. With burning discs there is also room for burning errors which can cause in-game glitches but for me that happening has been rare. The only thing I've had happen is some games taking longer to load the music track than the original copy would, or failing to load it altogether. I'm glad that usually only the older Playstation games used that format for audio. I haven't had the same problems on my Saturn yet so it's probably better at reading games formatted that way.

For some people if they have controller adapters for USB and that's good enough for them to use the original controllers. But for me it's not just the controller, it's the way the games look on the TV screen. I can just tell the difference pretty easily.

I feel that I need to at least do one run of every game on an emulator or device that allows copying of the save file though. I have lost perfect save files before and I don't want to suffer that again. Thankfully Playstation 1, 2 and 3 saves can be easily backed up anywhere and transferred back to the systems.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 09-27-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My preference is emulators. They're convenient, flexible, portable, take up no physical space, and allow me to play the actual games as opposed to some knockoff or facsimile. They also free up the physical hardware to go to people who want it because they genuinely appreciate it, not because they simply require it in order to play.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate using emulators. I don't know if its my computer or what but they don't run at full speed. I notice even the littlest bit of difference. Even with a controller it doesn't feel the same. I hate staring into a glow of my computer 2 feet away from my face. I'd rather sit far back and play it on the tv.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Emulators for everything that dosen't look halfway decent on my LCD TV (except for portable systems that have their own screen).
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to OWN hardcopies/originals, but in most cases I prefer to PLAY in emulation, with some exceptions.

I'll clarify though, by saying that I'm a huge snob when it comes to emulating. Original peripherals/controllers via adapters only, if not available, I'll play on the original gear.

In many cases, the experience is far superior in emulation, especially for PSX and N64. Nothing like Super Mario 64 Shindou Version in 1600x1200 or higher with flawless anti-aliasing on a massive screen with the actual controller/rumble pak hooked up via Adapter. It's just better. I own the originals, and they look nice on my shelf.

Once in awhile I'll get a jones to play on the original stuff though, but usually my hardware stays in it's original boxes with original paperwork, original plastic baggies, and original zipties.

Handhelds are my biggest exception. I actually use all my handhelds, especially (lately) my Game Boy Light. I could emulate on a PSP or something, but there's something about the form factor of a Game Boy that's just enjoyable to use, IMO. Same with NGPC or Wonderswan. I emulate Game Gear for the most part just because it's so big and awful and hard on batteries.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I go with emulators. For one, it saves wear and tear on the actual systems I own, they're all in pristine condition and I want to keep them that way. It's more convenient, if I want to play a game I just have to reach over and plug in my USB pad, couple clicks and I can play any of the 1,500 or so roms I have without even getting up. Save states are the biggest benefit, I've gotten to the point where I'd rather play an emulator than a new system, just because I can save whenever I want. Plus I don't have an HDTV, while my laptop is 720p, so games look better with emulators. And, of course, I can play any game I want for free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I say both

I play my Handheld Stuff on my DS like Game Boy & Game Gear

I mosty also play on my PC using USB Adapters like NES, SNES, Genesis and TurboGrafx-16

Alot of times I play it on the Real Hardware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the only emulators I've ever used are multi-carts for Nes and Gameboys. But personally I'll always pick the real console over emulators.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post
    I like to OWN hardcopies/originals, but in most cases I prefer to PLAY in emulation, with some exceptions.

I'll clarify though, by saying that I'm a huge snob when it comes to emulating. Original peripherals/controllers via adapters only, if not available, I'll play on the original gear.

In many cases, the experience is far superior in emulation, especially for PSX and N64. Nothing like Super Mario 64 Shindou Version in 1600x1200 or higher with flawless anti-aliasing on a massive screen with the actual controller/rumble pak hooked up via Adapter. It's just better. I own the originals, and they look nice on my shelf.

Once in awhile I'll get a jones to play on the original stuff though, but usually my hardware stays in it's original boxes with original paperwork, original plastic baggies, and original zipties.

Handhelds are my biggest exception. I actually use all my handhelds, especially (lately) my Game Boy Light. I could emulate on a PSP or something, but there's something about the form factor of a Game Boy that's just enjoyable to use, IMO. Same with NGPC or Wonderswan. I emulate Game Gear for the most part just because it's so big and awful and hard on batteries.
    You've echoed my feelings quite well.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of times I end up playing roms even when I own the actual cart just because for instance a nes looks awful on my plasma but a rom on the xbox with smoothing looks fantastic. I do have a old crt for old games but it's in my game room and sometimes i like chilling in my living room. At the end of the day if you're playing a game you haven't beat I guess it doesn't matter where you play it as long as you play it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I think the only emulators I've ever used are multi-carts for Nes and Gameboys. But personally I'll always pick the real console over emulators.
    Multi-carts are not emulation. There you are running original code on the original hardware.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All things being equal, I'd rather emulate just for the convenience of being able to use modern displays and controllers.
    Unfortunately, emulation for many platforms is far from exact.
    I still play N64 games on an N64, for example, but I'm fine with emulating SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Multi-carts are not emulation. There you are running original code on the original hardware.
    In that case I've never played any emulators that I can think of.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised by the pro emulation responses. I thought with all the hardware topics and all, this forum would be all about(as in nothing but) collecting.

That said, I'm on board for emulation as well. I accept that it's not perfect, but with floppies and early discs starting to rot away, I'm left to wonder if cartridges will continue to hold out as well. Then there's classic arcade games...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JaegerBox
    PSN
    turboStar

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I prefer using real consoles and real games, but I also have emulators. There's nothing quite like using the real thing when playing. Emulation has helped me play just about every game I'd ever care to and allowed me to target the remaining physical games I intend to purchase. The main advantage for using emulation vs. real consoles for most people, besides the convenience, is that emulators support HDTVs and provide an array of filters you just don't have when using real consoles.
    Almost EXACTLY how I feel about it too. Actual hardware>Emulation

I enjoy playing older consoles using MednafenX on a modded Xbox on LCD tvs. They just look excellent/ cleaned up. Also, I use my PSP for playing some classic consoles on the go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

When I go to ebay and see all the neckbeards selling non-rare cart games for minimum $25-35 Buy it Now, emulation gets more and more appealing.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

99.9% of my gaming is on actual hardware. Heck, I don't even like using the backwards compatibility in systems most of the time, opting for the original hardware instead. I don't care for gaming on computers in general, whether we're talking about actual PC games or emulation. Give me either a TV screen or a handheld screen, and, no, hooking a PC up to a TV doesn't cut it because it doesn't look the same and you still have to fumble with the computer some. On the rare occasions that I do mess with emulation, it's pretty much always either to help me as I produce a FAQ/review/article/whatever (in order to use save states or take screen shots or what have you) or my friends/family are playing games via emulation and want me to join in.

I can't say I'm surprised by the preference for emulation from some since collecting retro games/systems doesn't automatically mean that you play what you buy. Although with the site being so collector-focused, I'd be surprised if there were many people who only play via emulation and don't collect either.