Thread: NES/SNES Game cleaning Help!?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation NES/SNES Game cleaning Help!?

Hey Everyone! I recently purchased The Jetson's NES game online and when I put it in the system it doesn't boot up. I know my system is fine as I cleaned the system myself and other games work fine with no problems. But I clean the cartridge with rubbing alcohol and the connector's (aka the cartridge) looks clean and perfect, but when I put it in the system it's just a white screen. I spoke to the person who sold the game to me and I was told to use nail polish removal and then put the cartridge in gently after blowing into the system . I didn't try this because I thought that nail polish removal would damage the cartridge. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

My other question is pretty similar, I have Mega Man X2 for SNES. Again, I cleaned the cartridge and it looks great! But it only comes up with a black screen and it won't even load. I spoke to someone at a mom & pop video game store and they were saying that it may be the battery that's dead inside (if it has one). I also have a bunch of games that do the same as this, but another handful that does work. Any suggestions for this as well?

Thanks everyone in advance, I can't wait to be able to play these again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're going to need a 3.8 and a 4.5 security bit for the NES and SNES respectively. Open up the games and use Brasso Metal polish with q-tips on the connectors, remove the polish with q-tips and elbow grease, then remove the polish residue with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. If this doesn't work, try wiggling the games a bit to get them to work:

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

I agree with getting some game bits. I don't use Brasso or the like, but a soft white art eraser will do a good job without being too abrasive, and then a quick wipe with some alcohol to remove any residue. Works great.

We had a great discussion about cleaning in Episode 5 of the Collectorcast. You can find it here if interested: http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.pod...21_48_08-07_00

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No need to purchase the bits right off the bat (though I think anyone that's collecting these carts should have a set). Smash a piece of Magic Eraser in there and rub it back and forth. That'll take off about 90% of that crap that you'll run into with cart contacts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    No need to purchase the bits right off the bat (though I think anyone that's collecting these carts should have a set).
    The reason why I think that Classics19 needs to purchase some security bits is because he has already tried cleaning his games with alcohol with no success, so being able to take the pcbs out and really get get down on them properly might be a deciding factor.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    The reason why I think that Classics19 needs to purchase some security bits is because he has already tried cleaning his games with alcohol with no success, so being able to take the pcbs out and really get get down on them properly might be a deciding factor.
    Do you know how much the bits cost and where I can get them? I might even try the magic eraser before doing anything that requires me taking the game apart. Does anyone know what that cause of this problem is from (such as dirt, dust, finger prints etc)? I was told also to try getting the special screw driver to open the games and clean them out completely, would that be a good thing to do? Sorry for so many questions guys, I am new to the whole cleaning cartridges thing even though I grew up in the NES generation lol. But thank you guys for all the advice you have given so far (popcorn for you guys for all the help lol).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Classics19 View Post
    Do you know how much the bits cost and where I can get them? I might even try the magic eraser before doing anything that requires me taking the game apart. Does anyone know what that cause of this problem is from (such as dirt, dust, finger prints etc)? I was told also to try getting the special screw driver to open the games and clean them out completely, would that be a good thing to do? Sorry for so many questions guys, I am new to the whole cleaning cartridges thing even though I grew up in the NES generation lol. But thank you guys for all the advice you have given so far (popcorn for you guys for all the help lol).
    Let me add a correction first off: a 4.5 security bit is necessary only for opening a Super Nintendo system, not its games. A 3.8 security bit works for both NES and SNES games. Unlicensed Tengen games use something different and some early NES games, all 5-screws and some 3, take a small flathead screwdriver.

There is no "special screw driver" that opens games on its own, only a security bit that you pop into a socket screwdriver or a ratchet:

Here is what the bit will look like:

Here is a picture of a socket screwdriver:

Search eBay for prices for a 3.8 security bit and a local hardware store should have a socket screwdriver.

Video games become dirty like anything else that sits around collecting dust, I reckon. Of course, blowing into them compounds the problem, despite the persistent folk belief that won't die in the retrogaming community.

Also, it would be a good idea for you to disable your NES10 Lockout chip. This works wonders.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

This is where I got my game bit drivers: http://www.newelectronx.com/

You may want to just buy a tri-wing screwdriver while you are ordering if you ever plan to clean portable Nintendo games. You can buy the "screwdriver" handle for the bit if you don't already have a bit driver.

The reason it happens is just plain old dirt. Dust from the environment when not stored properly, inserting the game into a console with dirty contacts, blowing on the contacts, etc. all lead to the problem over time. Keep all of your games and systems clean, and always clean any new games before playing and you can cut way down on these problems.