Thread: Ex-Rare staff want to make 'spiritual successor' to Banjo-Tooie [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Ex-Rare staff want to make 'spiritual successor' to Banjo-Tooie [Joystiq]

Rare rests comfortably within Microsoft, cranking out Avatar items and Kinect Sports games. Some who have left the British development studio have taken to Twitter under the moniker Mingy Jongo, and it's these folks who yearn to get back to the studio's roots: they want to get to work on a spiritual successor to Banjo-Tooie, the direct sequel to Banjo-Kazooie - a pair of 3D platformers published by Nintendo back in the N64 days.

The account sent out missives declaring this potential game would be a 3D platformer (natch) and that while this would be a "spiritual successor" to Rare's iconic series, Mingy Jongo says the goal "wouldn't be to try and recreate Banjo" but rather to create "something new." Microsoft owns the rights to the particular bear and backpack-bird in question, you see.

Kickstarter also came up as a means to fund this potential new game, and Mingy Jongo even suggested the Unity engine might be a good fit for maintaining the same "level of detail and googly eyes close to the original." But right now, all of this stuff is hypothetical ... until we see that Kickstarter page go live, anyway.Ex-Rare staff want to make 'spiritual successor' to Banjo-Tooie originally appeared on Joystiq on Fri, 28 Sep 2012 01:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would love to see this happen. Long as it had the same brilliant level design, top music and fun dialogue of BK, then I'd be there day one. Well, if it came out for the 3DS that is.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything quality that's not a gritty action game has my support.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have played Banjo Kazooie all the way through, as well as Donkey Kong 64, and I have to say they are both inferior to Super Mario 64. The level design was OK for the most part, but there were some truly terrible aspects to the Rare 3D platformers, in particular the swimming sections. I also think that they gave the characters too many moves, ensuring that some of the goals were downright gimmicky. And don't get me started on the freaking end boss in Banjo Kazooie. I was never able to beat it, because it required you to very carefully and quickly shoot off eggs, which was never easy to pull off even when you weren't in a hurry because of the shitty camera angles. People reminisce about the Rare platform games, but I highly doubt they could make something even approaching the N64 games without Nintendo's oversight.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them